Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Apr 30, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #1,846 of 1,872
Hello all. I started using N7 as DAC to my amp Jotunheim 2, there was no issues in LO mode, but in Pre mode, I am hearing a small static noise between songs. Did anyone had this issue and what did you do to remove that static noise between songs? TIA.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #1,847 of 1,872
I’m in the market for a good DAP (currently using Hiby R6) and looks like N7 is a good choice but after reading this thread it seems like a lot of users here are having issues which is making me nervous like WiFi stopping working etc. Do you guys still recommend this DAP or is it better to wait for the next iteration?
It’s an excellent DAP. No issues so far for me in 6-months of usage.

May 2, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #1,850 of 1,872
I'd rather eject the SD card first (notify Android OS).
Open the "Settings" app, go to "Storage", now you'll see a blue dropdown control showing "THIS DEVICE". Tap on it and select your SD card. Now tap on the three dots (upper right) and select "Eject" from the menu.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #1,851 of 1,872
I'd rather eject the SD card first (notify Android OS).
Open the "Settings" app, go to "Storage", now you'll see a blue dropdown control showing "THIS DEVICE". Tap on it and select your SD card. Now tap on the three dots (upper right) and select "Eject" from the menu.
Thanks, that's great, I didn't know I could do that before! Appreciate it!

May 2, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #1,852 of 1,872
Glad, I could help :)

May 9, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #1,853 of 1,872
1715306178762.jpeg

N7 Firmware v1.6 Update

1. Add new PEQ functions under the Audio Setting menu
  2. Other bug fixes and optimizations.
Announcement Link: https://en.cayin.cn/drive/9/18/639.html

Firmware Update

Cayin will release firmware updates to enhance and optimize N7 as deemed required. Users can update the firmware through OTA or local updates. To manually download the firmware, please visit the SUPPORT center on our official website and please make sure you select “Personal Audio” on this page.

Attention
  • Please make sure the device has not less than 30% battery power, otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to a firmware update.
  • Please make sure your N7 has more than 2GB of storage before the firmware update.
  • Do not operate the device during a firmware update.
  • During a firmware update, the device will turn off and reboot automatically. If the device does not reboot 3 minutes after being turned off, please press and hold the POWER BUTTON for 3 seconds to boot up the device, the device will resume the firmware update process.
  • Please delete the firmware file from the TF card or internal storage after you have completed the firmware update process

OTA Update Procedures
  1. Connect the N7 to the internet via Wi-Fi.
  2. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “Wireless Update”.
  3. Press “Check for updates”, and the system will check for new firmware.
  4. Press “Download” when your DAP detects new firmware. The N7 operating system will download the new firmware as instructed.
  5. Press “Install now” after the firmware is successfully downloaded.
  6. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will proceed to install the new firmware.

Local Update Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware update package from the SUPPORT center of Cayin’s official website, you should receive a compressed file as cayin_N7_XXXX.zip which will be used for the N7 firmware update.
  2. DO NOT decompress the zip file.
  3. Copy the firmware file into the root directory of the N7 internal memory or TF card, and insert the TF card into the N7 before you proceed to the next step.
  4. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “Wireless Update”.
  5. Press the “┇” icon on the top right corner of the screen.
  6. Select “Local updates” in the pop-up menu.
  7. Proceed to the directory where the firmware file is located, and then select the firmware file.
  8. Press “INSTALL NOW”.
  9. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will proceed to install the new firmware.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 10, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #1,854 of 1,872
The update process is stuck at 11% for about 30 minutes, what should I do?

May 10, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #1,855 of 1,872
The update process is stuck at 11% for about 30 minutes, what should I do?
The memory management of Android systems has always been their weak point as they are not a truly multi-tasking system.

If you run get stuck in the middle of an OTA update, you need to clear the cache of the system update process otherwise it will repeat the download error:
  1. Disconnect your WiFi.
  2. At the top right corner of the firmware update page, click the three dots, please select clean cache.
  3. Reboot your N7 and connect to WiFi again, you should be able to download the firmware again.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 10, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #1,856 of 1,872
Mine downloaded and installed with no issues

May 10, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #1,857 of 1,872
@Andy
Thank you for your assistance. I was able to interrupt the process, rebooted the device and did a local update which went thru without a hitch :)

May 10, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #1,858 of 1,872
Friends,

for almost the same price (maybe €100 difference) which of these 2 would you get and WHY?

Sony NW-WM1AM2 Uncapped version
X
Cayin N7 .

I posted this same question in both threads to get mixed opinions.
Important information: I will not play DSD. Only PCM and stream regularly to discover new artists and albums to add to the collection.

May 10, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #1,859 of 1,872
Mine was exactly the same.

After connecting N7 to wifi it prompted the info about the new firmware and guided me through the OTA update process.

May 10, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #1,860 of 1,872
Like PeacockObscure I was also able to upgrade without issues

Nice new touch (and same on other Cayin Products this FW update go around), after update and required reboot, a nice confirmation screen of the upgrade pops up, confirming NewFW is running and states exact version.
Appreciate this info, saves me from having to go back in to settings to confirm

Thank You Andy for always keeping us informed and Up To Date. Great Service you provide!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back