Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Dec 19, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #121 of 1,977
Andykong, one more queston about comparison between dx100 and n6. After listening to dx100 with my new Harmony 8 Pro it appears that dx100 has suprisingly a tad bright tonality (it is to my ears at the same time warm and a little bit brigtish); this corresponds to opinion of one the users that dx100 has somehow a little bit "hot" upper treble. Do you hear this with dx100? If yes, how this area is in n6? Is n6 more relaxed in this regard and thus could be considered more balanced and more natural than dx100? 

If you don't hear that in your DX100 with other earphone, then you probably won't need to worry about that, IMHO.

Since the production version N6 is at hand, I'll post my comment on that later, and most likely with reference to DX100 again as that's what I have on hand, so please stay tune for that.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 19, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #122 of 1,977
With 5ways dx100 sounds netural with a touch of warmth with smooth treble.

On the other hand, with 5ways dx100 via LO to my DIY Amp sounds neutral, without this warmth and little bit bright, but not harsh.

With 5ways conclusion is that my Amp is a little bit brighter than dx100.

With Harmony dx100 sounds neutral with a touch of warmth but with bright tonality and a tad harsh treble.

Suprisingly, with 5ways dx100 via LO to my DIY Amp sounds neutral with warmth, maybe a little bit brightish but without any harshness.

With Harmony conclusion is that my Amp is less bright and has more smooth sound than dx100.

Both above two conclusions are contradictory. Then, What??

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #123 of 1,977
With 5ways dx100 sounds netural with a touch of warmth with smooth treble.

On the other hand, with 5ways dx100 via LO to my DIY Amp sounds neutral, without this warmth and little bit bright, but not harsh.

With 5ways conclusion is that my Amp is a little bit brighter than dx100.

With Harmony dx100 sounds neutral with a touch of warmth but with bright tonality and a tad harsh treble.

Suprisingly, with 5ways dx100 via LO to my DIY Amp sounds neutral with warmth, maybe a little bit brightish but without any harshness.

With Harmony conclusion is that my Amp is less bright and has more smooth sound than dx100.

Both above two conclusions as contradictory. Then, What??

Yeap, not really logical, but since I never heard both IEMs, so can hardly help you to debug the logic other then resort this to a synergy issue.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #124 of 1,977
If security is the only issue, maybe you can consider buying from Shenzhenaudio via Amazon, in fact if you search on Amazon, you should be able to find TWO seller on Cayin N6: Shenzhenaudio ($620) and Digital852 ($599). I have zero knowledge about these two shops, but I suggest you don't make your decision because of the price different, take a good look into their profile and trading before you pick your supplier.

Thanks! Will Check it out

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #125 of 1,977
I'm really interested in the Cayin N6 player and I would like to use it in conjunction with my Chord Hugo.

I would like to use the digital coaxial output of the Cayin N6 and connect it to my Hugo's digital coaxial input. I'm wondering if the digital output is native DSD signal or it outputs in DOP mode? Hugo only accepts DSD signal through DOP so native DSD may not work.

Maybe Thomas or Andy can share their knowledge about this? I can't seem to find the information anywhere. Thanks. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #126 of 1,977
I'm really interested in the Cayin N6 player and I would like to use it in conjunction with my Chord Hugo.

I would like to use the digital coaxial output of the Cayin N6 and connect it to my Hugo's digital coaxial input. I'm wondering if the digital output is native DSD signal or it outputs in DOP mode? Hugo only accepts DSD signal through DOP so native DSD may not work.

Maybe Thomas or Andy can share their knowledge about this? I can't seem to find the information anywhere. Thanks. 

DAP output DoP via coaxial to external DAC? I really doubted that. I can check with Cayin Engineer next week and come back to you, but I suggest you don't put too much hope on that, I have yet to find a DAP that can do that.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #128 of 1,977
QLS QA360 can do DoP for its toslink output. Tried it with my friend's unit before.
I am more interested to use the N6 as an all-in-one. I only wish they would release a higher end model with big internal storage. This convenience means a lot to me.

*qa360 can only support up to dsd64 only, please note

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #129 of 1,977
QLS QA360 can do DoP for its toslink output. Tried it with my friend's unit before.
I am more interested to use the N6 as an all-in-one. I only wish they would release a higher end model with big internal storage. This convenience means a lot to me.

*qa360 can only support up to dsd64 only, please note

I though Toslink has limitations on bandwidth, so I didn't check into that, in fact I am surprised that QA360 used Toslink instead of coaxial in the first place.

By the way, can Hugo process DoP Vis Toslink? I have some doubt on that, please check before you go for this solution.

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #130 of 1,977
I though Toslink has limitations on bandwidth, so I didn't check into that, in fact I am surprised that QA360 used Toslink instead of coaxial in the first place.

By the way, can Hugo process DoP Vis Toslink? I have some doubt on that, please check before you go for this solution.

All Hugo digital inputs (except for the SD USB port) can support DSD incoming over DoP.

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #131 of 1,977
All Hugo digital inputs (except for the SD USB port) can support DSD incoming over DoP.

Very good, looks like I have overlooked Toslink as a viable digital interface outsife AV applications.

Cayin has planned for a hi-end model above N6 but nothing has been confirmed yet, so can't tell if that will have large internal storage. The issue is, almost all DAP with large internal storage are either Android based or some form of Android modded or Android based system, whatever way yoi want to call it, so before Cayin consider if they want to include large internal storage, they need to decide if they want to go for the Android route.

By the way, if large internal storage is not feasible, will you consider two SD slot as a viable alternative?

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #132 of 1,977
Very good, looks like I have overlooked Toslink as a viable digital interface outsife AV applications.

Cayin has planned for a hi-end model above N6 but nothing has been confirmed yet, so can't tell if that will have large internal storage. The issue is, almost all DAP with large internal storage are either Android based or some form of Android modded or Android based system, whatever way yoi want to call it, so before Cayin consider if they want to include large internal storage, they need to decide if they want to go for the Android route.

By the way, if large internal storage is not feasible, will you consider two SD slot as a viable alternative?

Hi Andy,

Regardless of a large internal storage (256GB similar to AK240?) or dual SD card slots (X5?), the important aspect is the ability of the player to read the maximum memory storage within a few minutes upon boot-up. Also the ability of the UI interface, to be able to search for music and user to manage the music files in an easy way. The larger the total memory supported, the greater the need for a robust interface to handle all those music files. And not to mention writing/reading all the files, the hardware reader must be fast as well. Cost will go up regardless.

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #133 of 1,977
That's right Andy. I would like to use the DAP as a transport to an external dac. In this case, do you think the DAP outputs a pcm signal via coaxial?

Thanks and I look forward to what their engineer would say.

Have checked with the Engineer of Cayin, they stated that N6 can output DoP via coaxial but limited to 2.8M only.

I have the production unit with me, but I won't be able to connect the player to my home system until weekend, will keep you informed if I failed to achieve this, otherwise you can assume the DoP via Coaxial is working.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #134 of 1,977
Hi Andy,

Regardless of a large internal storage (256GB similar to AK240?) or dual SD card slots (X5?), the important aspect is the ability of the player to read the maximum memory storage within a few minutes upon boot-up. Also the ability of the UI interface, to be able to search for music and user to manage the music files in an easy way. The larger the total memory supported, the greater the need for a robust interface to handle all those music files. And not to mention writing/reading all the files, the hardware reader must be fast as well. Cost will go up regardless.

Have to admit that most Chinese DAP manufactures are strong in hardware design but weak in software handling. To certain extend, if you are looking for a DAP with decent database type Music Library, you probably can skip the Chinese DAP for quite a while, I have yet to see a Chinese DAP excel on this area. Fiio is the closest contender but still miles away from an user friendly and effective Music management tool IMHO.

There is another explanation that is difficult to appreciate by non-Chinese users. Chinese characters are not alphabetical based, so the language itself does not support any form of sorting effectively. The most common sorting method in Chinese character is based on the number of "strokes" in a Chinese character, while this is useable when you have one or twenty entries, the practical use of this kind of sorting will dramatically diminished when the number of entry start to build up. To me, the only reasonable method to steer around 10,000 Chinese songs is by folder playback, and thats probably why Chinese DAP tends to build on this concept rather then a music library with lots of indexing tools.

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #135 of 1,977
Have to admit that most Chinese DAP manufactures are strong in hardware design but weak in software handling. To certain extend, if you are looking for a DAP with decent database type Music Library, you probably can skip the Chinese DAP for quite a while, I have yet to see a Chinese DAP excel on this area. Fiio is the closest contender but still miles away from an user friendly and effective Music management tool IMHO.

There is another explanation that is difficult to appreciate by non-Chinese users. Chinese characters are not alphabetical based, so the language itself does not support any form of sorting effectively. The most common sorting method in Chinese character is based on the number of "strokes" in a Chinese character, while this is useable when you have one or twenty entries, the practical use of this kind of sorting will dramatically diminished when the number of entry start to build up. To me, the only reasonable method to steer around 10,000 Chinese songs is by folder playback, and thats probably why Chinese DAP tends to build on this concept rather then a music library with lots of indexing tools.

Perhaps one day we will see that day arrive. Till then, am perfectly fine with folder navigation of albums and songs (well trained using a Fiio X5 and Hifiman HM-901). To some extent, it is straightforward and easy to use too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back