Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Dec 9, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #1,111 of 2,546

It is few days as i am owner of original Cayin case for N5 and i must admit, i am not completely satisfied.
There is still something which must be fixed.

1) It is very tight, and hiding control buttons under hard - maybe too hard - solid leather surface seems to me now not the best idea.
It is easy to get "misbehaving mode".

2) The back side of N5 is not strictly rectangular:
http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1435329/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL
I guess this prism hump was neglected during measuring, and this omission is the reason why this version of case is too tight.

3) Since the dust cover is not moving widely in the case, the card slot 2 is not accessible for removing card..

4) Also i would like the button marks on the case surface be more clear or better stamped.
Now it is definitely not friendly for controliing in the "pocket mode", i barely feel it under cloth's textile, tuning volume was a real challenge .

The main value is official price.
Also i hope Cayin will not stop and will improve this leather case. 加油!

PS As for Dignis it looks nice on the pictures, but now i know the pictures can be really deceptive :)

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #1,112 of 2,546

Well now I have to get an N5, not that I was not anyway but black leather always seals the deal
biggrin.gif

Much cheaper and perhaps more interesting to buy your wife something in black leather for Christmas?
blink.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #1,113 of 2,546

It is few days as i am owner of original Cayin case for N5 and i must admit, i am not completely satisfied.

1) It is very tight, and hiding control buttons under hard - maybe too hard - solid leather surface seems to me now not the best idea.

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1435329/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL
I guess this prism hump was neglected during measuring, and this omission is the reason why this version of case is too tight.

3) Since the dust cover is not moving widely in the case, the card slot 2 is not accessible for removing card..

4) Also i would like the button marks on the case surface be more clear or better stamped.
Now it is definitely not friendly for controliing in the "pocket mode", i barely feel it under cloth's textile, tuning volume was a real challenge .

PS As for Dignis it looks nice on the pictures, but now i know the pictures can be really deceptive :)

I like that open button design as well as a tight case, leather usually stretches over time and then it would be sloppy and if ever gotten wet or in a moist climate it would exacerbate that
eek.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,114 of 2,546

Fair and informative comment indeed, I have translated your opinion to our Engineers who look after this process.

In fact, our first prototype is open button design, but we have to work under a very tight budget, accessories as such have to serve local domestic market first, it is difficult to maintain premium quality with open button design at our budget, hence resulted in the current version of N5 leather case.:beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 10, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #1,115 of 2,546
Well now I have to get an N5, not that I was not anyway but black leather always seals the deal:D

OH, you started to miss the N5 already? :D

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #1,117 of 2,546
It's very easy to miss the N5, Andy. Such a great DAP!

Indeed, N5 is relatively low-profile in oversee market, let hope the player will eventually receive the kind of attention that it deserved. :beerchug:

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #1,118 of 2,546
Just got word from @EmpJ at CTC Audio saying he'll have the N5 in stock very soon, so there'll be a North American distributor with great customer service carrying it. Good news!

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #1,121 of 2,546
Just got word from @EmpJ
 at CTC Audio saying he'll have the N5 in stock very soon, so there'll be a North American distributor with great customer service carrying it. Good news!

Great, that will be a good news to all DAP lovers.

Sincerely hope the N5 will have its chance to reach out to fellow headfiers. :beerchug:

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #1,122 of 2,546
Indeed, N5 is relatively low-profile in oversee market, let hope the player will eventually receive the kind of attention that it deserved. :beerchug:

I said that very poorly, Andy. What I meant was that N5 was so good, I already miss it. I've been recommending it a lot!

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #1,123 of 2,546
I said that very poorly, Andy. What I meant was that N5 was so good, I already miss it. I've been recommending it a lot!

I see, but never mind, that's only a small issue. I am thankful to all the Tour participants in person as they have spend a lot of effort in checking out and writing down their impression on N5, your contributions and support are our motivation to continue our tough joinery :beerchug:.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #1,124 of 2,546
Postman brought me a package today :)
N5 is here. Strangely, to me it's a thing of beauty ( in a sort of industrial way ) !
Sounds great with m100's, haven't tried it with anything else yet. As soon as I heard the first few bars of music I started smiling like some kinda idiot :atsmile: I still haven't stopped grinning after 4 hours straight! I'm looking forward to loosing myself in the music for a few more hours yet.
It will be interesting to see how the sound changes with burn in.....

Can't wait to see the synergy with my other gear, but for now m100's + n5 = :atsmile:

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #1,125 of 2,546
Great, that will be a good news to all DAP lovers.

Sincerely hope the N5 will have its chance to reach out to fellow headfiers. :beerchug:

Well Andy it's reached me! It took a while to get here but it was definitely worth the wait. Absolutely gorgeous looking beast ! ! Best sounding dap in my collection so far. :atsmile:

Just tried it with my K702's on high gain it sounds amazing !

It don't sound too shabby through my Vali with the 702's either :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back