Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Aug 27, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #421 of 2,546

which type of cable do you guys rec

just wondering which type of cable is it ?

That is a custom cable from a local (Mainland China) DIY shop, as twister6 suggested, this is a MMCX/2.5mm TRRS balanced headphone cable.

Cayin used SE846 as one of the reference IEM during product development, and we have ALO Tinsel MMCX/2.5mm for functional check on the 2.5mm headphone output, I am not sure if this headphone cable in available in your area, they are very tight to put on or take off, but the overall build quality are very good.

Not gonna comment about SE846 (though I personally found it to be extremely overrated), but looking forward to test N5 with my 2.5mm cables
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #422 of 2,546
Surprised you guys didn't use a more neutral and extended IEM like the UERM. Not saying the SE846 are bad per se.

Well, it is ONE of the reference, we also used IE800, K3003 and EX1000 during the product development process.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 28, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #423 of 2,546
Well, it is ONE of the reference, we also used IE800, K3003 and EX1000 during the product development process.

Very glad you clarified that. Nice to see a range of IEMs used. :)

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #425 of 2,546
The N5 Tour is ready to go, please check it out if you want to try out the N5.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/779183/tour-cayin-n5-dap-ak4490eq-dsd-2-5mm-balanced-headphone

If there are typo or English mistake, please drop me a line and I'll get to it. Have been buried in writing for 3 days, will take a rest first and come back to proof read the event notice tomorrow. :D

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #427 of 2,546
Hi Andy - will the N5 drive a HD650 ok?

N5 (and in fact, this apply to N6 as well) can drive HD600/HD650 to a very loud level, but the DAP lacks handling and control to make the HD600/HD650 really sing. You can explore the sound signature of these headphones, but the overall presentation will not be lively, and the soundstage is congested.

On the other hand, while high impedance cans like HD650 are "listenable", its low impedance headphone like AKG K701 that really makes life difficult for portable gears, and I prefer to use a 300 ohm headphone with N5 then a low impedance can like this with N5+portable amp., so its that bad.

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #428 of 2,546

Not gonna comment about SE846 (though I personally found it to be extremely overrated), but looking forward to test N5 with my 2.5mm cables
wink.gif

twister6 if you say that over at the se846 thread,we're gonna be sending suicide bombers at your house,we're a big passionate cult over there 
biggrin.gif

All just a matter of a personal taste, though my opinion is not based on reading other people's reviews but actually doing my own in-depth review and comparison of W60/W40/UMPro50/SE846 in HERE.  But I do agree, SE846 topic can get as hot as discussions about headphone cables
biggrin.gif
 so let's just leave this topic alone, and focus on N5
cool.gif

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #429 of 2,546
Thanks for your candour Andy. Indeed the N6 on low gain do drive my HD650 to a very loud volume if required.

Are you implying your opinion that the N6 also lacks the power to make the HD650 sing properly? If so I'm a bit confused, as to me the N6 has maybe 2-3 times more power than I can ever use (I am not interested in permanent hearing damage).

Were any full size or on ear headphones used as reference points for calibration of the N5 in addition to the IEMs you mentioned previously?

Cheers

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #430 of 2,546
@Andykong, regarding N5 design topology:

I'm curious why LO output comes after headphone amplification.  Shouldn't it be after DAC section?

Also, do I read this correctly that audio signal is being processed as dual-DAC balanced output all the way through to HO output?

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #431 of 2,546
  @Andykong, regarding N5 design topology:

I'm curious why LO output comes after headphone amplification.  Shouldn't it be after DAC section?

Also, do I read this correctly that audio signal is being processed as dual-DAC balanced output all the way through to HO output?

Interesting, I also thought that fixed LO line should start right at the DAC chip analog out.
twister6, I'm not Andy, but I guess that the question whether audio signal being processed as dual-DAC balanced output all the way through to HO output needs some correction. The signal from the DAC chip itself is processed as differential (balanced) output from a single chip, since AKM 4490 has differential analog output (pins 25,26 for Rch Positive Analog Output and Rch Negative Analog Output and pins 35,36 for Lch Negative Analog Output and Lch Positive Analog Output respectively\according to the datasheet http://www.akm.com/akm/en/file/datasheet/AK4490EQ.pdf)   

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #432 of 2,546
I think LO must be done this way: DAC -> I/V -> LPF -> LO

In the PCB pic there is a 8 op-amps, but in functional framework only 7?

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #433 of 2,546
A while back they mentioned there was issues creating a separate line out in conjunction with balanced topology, so they decided to do what you see in the block diagram, Pono player also uses a shared line out (no coincidence it also has balanced output), although the N5 also has the line out going through the volume controller chip which is probably not as ideal. I would also like to know what the 8th opamp does which isn't shown on the block diagram.

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #434 of 2,546

@Andykong
, regarding N5 design topology:

Interesting, I also thought that fixed LO line should start right at the DAC chip analog out.
twister6, I'm not Andy, but I guess that the question whether audio signal being processed as dual-DAC balanced output all the way through to HO output needs some correction. The signal from the DAC chip itself is processed as differential (balanced) output from a single chip, since AKM 4490 has differential analog output (pins 25,26 for Rch Positive Analog Output and Rch Negative Analog Output and pins 35,36 for Lch Negative Analog Output and Lch Positive Analog Output respectively\according to the datasheet http://www.akm.com/akm/en/file/datasheet/AK4490EQ.pdf)   

AKM is a 2ch DAC, thus I was referring to it as "dual DAC" :wink:

N6 had 2 physical dacs, this one uses a single chip with a dual dac functionality.

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #435 of 2,546
So what your asking is if the dual stereo channels of the "2ch" AK4490 dac are each hooked to their own amplifier. From what I see on AK4490 pin out, no, they are not, the AK4490 outputs a single set of balanced signals the same way as does a balanced stereo dac like the "1ch" PCM1792A.

Also I think your terminology is potentially confusing, we should be calling AK4490 a 4ch dac and PCM1792A a 2ch dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back