Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 23, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #541 of 657
@Andykong
A few more bug fixes for you
Someone previously mentioned the Ring light ON/OFF resets to ON after reboot as does:
1) The channel Balance resets to O
2) You can't seem to save the PEQ preset name as it wants ypu to log into your HIBY account and that's not possible without WiFi connectivity.
Secondly in order to hit save the keyboard hids the save / cancel function until you hit the volume button.

(1) The bug is confirmed and will be rectified in subsequent firmware.

(2) We have discussed the PEQ profile setting in a previous discussion (HERE), we shall modify the user interface in the next firmware, but right now you can only set the PEQ and standard EQ save option in the standard EQ option

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 23, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #542 of 657
It was around 70% when I shut it down.

Had mine at 53%, shut down and confirmed by pushing power button afterwards it is fully off. That was 18hrs ago. Turned it back on now and the battery is still at 53%. Btw, I timed how long it takes to bootup from the moment a logo comes up on the screen after pushing the power button, and it is 23 seconds. Shutdown takes a few seconds.

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #543 of 657
Just wonder anyone faces problem connect to N3U from iPhone via USB c to c ? It couldn't detect iPhone even I tried few different cables.
Had this with the iPad, yes.

Easy fix: Connect it, then with both ends of the cable still connected to your phone and the N3U, restart the N3U and it will start directly in the USB DAC mode. If you unplug it, you'll have to restart again to make it work.

Mine has some hiccups when playing in USB DAC mode, like falling behind and then speeding to catch up. All of this happening very quickly, under a second. Like a skipped beat or something. Maybe it's just my cable, I'm yet to try with other cables. No probs when playing from the computer.

Thank you mikaik for sharing the quick fix, it's a small trick that works for both iOS and Android when the device fails to recognize the DAP properly during the handshaking process. Maybe software engineers from the mobile industry are unfamiliar with the concept of DAP and outboard DAC, so there is generally a lack of optimization to accommodate these audiophile devices.

Last but not least, setting up the default USB configuration (HERE) will narrow down the handshaking options of N3Ultra, and will improve the connectivity slightly.

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #544 of 657
I have re-copied all files into the 1.5TB MicroSD, which I have reformatted to NTFS, after knowing that it supports NTFS.
The problem seems to be solved as I didn’t face it again anymore.
However, ultimately it has show that the N3U has poor exFAT implementation.
The exFAT formats with different page sizes I have tried were from my MacBook Pro 16 2021 and WM1Z, which the latter one also has poor compatibility, making it unstable while playing songs from improperly formatted card, or even unable to read at all.
The major problem is that I mainly use my MacBook instead of my laptop PC so it will be less convenient.

Thank you for keeping us informed, I'll forward your message to our software engineers and ask them to check out the compatibility with the exFAT format. I didn't know enough to promise a fix, but I'll ask them to look into this option.

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #545 of 657
Do you mean the circular "Home" button? That does not have the wake-up function, a limitation of circuitry.
Yes that one. It's unfortunate because it could have been handy to use it to wake-up the screen since double tap does not work

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #546 of 657
Hi, yes that is what I pressed that little power of screen appears after holding for a few seconds then I selected the power of button screen to power of.
When I came to use it a few days later it was completely flat couldn't turn it on so had to charge it.
It was around 70% when I shut it down.

It is abnormal if you lose 70% battery completely within several days in power off condition.

I can think of two possibilities:
  1. The 70% reading is not accurate to start with. Yes, a new battery in a new DAP tends to introduce unreliable battery readings, the problem should cure itself after 5-10 charging cycles. So continue to use the DAP with swallow charging, after you have used the DAP for roughly 50 hours (roughly 5-6 charging cycles), calibrate the battery gauge by running the DAP to the last 2-3% and then charge it to 100%. The battery reading should be improved after this.
  2. Before you power off your DAP, unplug all analog outputs, the DAP will enter digital output mode, with all analog circuit in idle condition, this should eliminate the variable when you encounter strange battery problem during power off.

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #547 of 657
My new discovery. Like a kid with new sneakers... 🤗

IMG_20240423_152408.jpg

Thanks to all the participants. ✌🏻

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #550 of 657
Will it be good to fully charge the battery? Or is it better to open and download the one that comes standard?

Thanks! 🤗
I’m no expert, but for mobile phones it doesn’t really matter, as long as you don’t keep them plugged in all the time or fully discharge often. The latest recommendation I read was to keep the battery between 30-80% charge level. Maybe it’s the same with a DAP.
I’d use it until it drops just bellow 30%, then give it a full charge.
Maybe @Andykong has more precise recommendations.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #551 of 657
Boot times someone asked yeah the N3 U not the fastest.

And I messed up pressing the Shanling with my fat fingers not easy to do ok!

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #552 of 657
Boot times someone asked yeah the N3 U not the fastest.

And I messed up pressing the Shanling with my fat fingers not easy to do ok!

How do you like the Shanling compared to the Cayin?

Apr 23, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #554 of 657
How do you like the Shanling compared to the Cayin?
Firstly
The Cayin software and user experience feels rushed and not polished with some glaring bugs that should not be on a released product.

The Shanling on the other hand is what a player should be without android, smooth well thought out.

Sound the Cayin Clean , slightly mids forward that seems to sound neutral to ever so slightly thin, detailed and resolving. Add in abit of tube warmth on Modern mode and slightly warmer on Classic mode. This is not a overall warm source. Sounds closer to my Kann Max with thinner mids.

Sound of the M5U is exactly what they said a resolving, warmer DAP with great bass and stage. Sounds closer to my M8 maybe better.

Both are excellent sounding with different tonality. The Cayin I would use for gear with recessed mids and a relaxed top end to give them more life. The Shanling to mellow IEM'S that are too mids forward or bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back