Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 29, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #632 of 640
1714353953374.jpeg

The Announcement of N3Ultra Firmware v1.1

New Functions and System Optimization

1. Move “Scan Music” to the “Music Settings” menu, and add a scanning setting to enable user customization of the scanning process.
  2. Repair the problem of abnormal termination of the Cayin Music App when clicking the multiple selection button in the upper right corner of various music listing pages;
  3. Repair the problem that some UI descriptions/icons are not displayed properly in the EQ/PEQ interface
  4. Add shutdown memory function for sample rate indicator setting, DSD gain compensation setting, and channel balance setting;
  5. Modify the default save location of EQ/PEQ to local storage;
  6. Modify the selected User Interface;
  7. Other optimization and bugs fixed
Firmware ULR: https://en.cayin.cn/drive/9/18/633.html

Firmware Update

Cayin will release firmware updates to enhance and optimize N3Ultra as deemed required. Users can update the firmware through local update. To manually download the firmware, please visit the SUPPORT center of our official website.

A Kind Reminder to N3Ultra Firmware Upgrade
  • Each version of firmware might contain minor differences, consumer please decide on your own accord whether you need to update the firmware of your N3Ultra Digital Audio Player.
  • Under normal circumstances, firmware upgrades will not cause any damage to user information, but Cayin cannot exclude the possibility of upgrade failure due to malfunction or any other reason. For these reasons, we strongly suggest you remove all storage devices inserted into the DAP before you perform the firmware upgrade.
  • The N3Ultra firmware cannot be used in other products, and the firmware from other products cannot be used in N3Ultra

Attention
  • Please make sure the N3Ultra has not less than 30% battery power, otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to a firmware update.
  • Please make sure your TF card has more than 2GB of storage before the firmware update.

Firmware Update Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware update package from the Support Center of Cayin website, please select “Personal Audio” on this page.
  2. You should receive a compressed file (cayin_N3Ultra_xxx_xxxxxxx_8.1_user_update.zip) for the N3Ultra firmware update. DO NOT decompress the zip file.
  3. Copy the firmware file into the root directory of your TF card, and insert the TF card into N3Ultra before you proceed to the next step.
  4. Select "System Settings" on the main menu, at the Setting menu page select “System” and then select "FOTA* Updates” to enter the firmware update interface;
  5. Select “Local updates” in the System Update screen.
  6. Proceed to the root directory of your TF card, then select the firmware file.
  7. The system will remind you that the device will be restarted during the firmware update, select “OK” in the confirmation window, and the system will start the firmware upgrade process;
  8. Do not operate the device during a firmware update. After the upgrade is complete, the system will reboot automatically and you can use the DAP when the device resumes from reboot.
  9. Please delete the firmware file from the TF card after you have completed the firmware update process

* FOTA stands for Firmware Over-The-Air

N3U Menu Desktop.jpg
N3U Menu Setting.jpg
Local Update.jpg
Device will be restarted.jpg
Any plans on adding grouping by album artist? This is the one feature I'm missing right now, most other music apps and players can do this no problem.

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #634 of 640
I can't help you since I don't have that issue that you allege in your DAP.
It’s reporting build nr 1.10… I had shut it off for an hour or 2 and just turned it on and I hit the button to turn off the screen twice and it turned it on almost immediately both times… will try factory reset

Apr 30, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #636 of 640
Album art thumbnails continue to be problematic. I went through all my albums and tracks to resize the embedded art to 500x500 and on some screens there is a thumbnail, on other screens the same album art thumbnail does not show at all. I guess instead of rescanning, maybe it's better to wipe the database and scan from scratch? Not even sure if that will resolve anything.
It might be that it only supports standard jpeg and not progressive jpeg like my Sony A55 so size wouldn't be the issue.

Apr 30, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #637 of 640
Is all the album art in the same format ie: .jpg or .png?
All jpg. I did have a problem a couple years ago with album art due to dowloading some progressive jpg images and embedded them in some of my albums. After converting all progressive jpg to normal jpg, covers were working again. From then on I make sure to have only normal jpg cover files.

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #638 of 640
It’s reporting build nr 1.10… I had shut it off for an hour or 2 and just turned it on and I hit the button to turn off the screen twice and it turned it on almost immediately both times… will try factory reset
@Andykong after the update the screen turns on randomly. It’s done it a couple of times now during playback and even without anything playing and no headphone in. I took headphones out paused playback turned the screen off set it down and timed it to around 3.5 minutes until it turned the screen on by itself. Then shut it down, turned it on and turned off the screen without playing any music or changing anything, set it down and 12 seconds later it turned on by itself. hardware wise nothing seems loose and it never did this before the sw update … has anyone else reported similar issues ? What might it be ? Could you make original sw available to reinstall ?

The firmware v1.1 is unlikely the root of your problem because other users are not having the same problem after they upgraded their firmware, maybe the firmware update is not completed properly, or maybe there is a software glitch at the end of the firmware upgrade. Please reinstall the firmware package by going through the manual upgrade process again. Hopefully, this will solve the unstable software operation that you are facing.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 30, 2024 at 3:19 AM Post #639 of 640
Album art thumbnails continue to be problematic. I went through all my albums and tracks to resize the embedded art to 500x500 and on some screens there is a thumbnail, on other screens the same album art thumbnail does not show at all. I guess instead of rescanning, maybe it's better to wipe the database and scan from scratch? Not even sure if that will resolve anything.
All jpg. I did have a problem a couple years ago with album art due to dowloading some progressive jpg images and embedded them in some of my albums. After converting all progressive jpg to normal jpg, covers were working again. From then on I make sure to have only normal jpg cover files.

The Album art non-display problem is consistent across all user interfaces? Can the album art be displayed during normal playback?

Can you upload the albums that can't be displayed properly and let me download and test them in my N3Ultra? I don't need the full album, only two songs per album (I assume the embedded album art is identical across all titles in the same album), and 2-3 albums to conduct the testings. Drop me the link (Google Drive is preferred) through PM and I'll follow up with our engineers.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 30, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #640 of 640
The firmware v1.1 is unlikely the root of your problem because other users are not having the same problem after they upgraded their firmware, maybe the firmware update is not completed properly, or maybe there is a software glitch at the end of the firmware upgrade. Please reinstall the firmware package by going through the manual upgrade process again. Hopefully, this will solve the unstable software operation that you are facing.
I followed all the steps exactly as they are written and the software update completed successfully then the device restarted at the end and was working fine. I also removed the firmware file from the tf card after the update as instructed and it was working fine before I noticed the screen turning on by itself. I did a factory reset and it’s been working fine for around 9 hours so that seems to have fixed the issue. Will keep an eye on it and see if it happens again, hopefully not. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back