Cayin iDAC-6 - Review tour (USA only for now), impressions, discussion
Sep 16, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #257 of 286
Greetings, @Andykong!
Tell me please, does iDAC-6 MK2 have a function to turn off the display or screen backlight/brightness setting like at iDAP-6?
If doesn't, is there any plans to update firmware?

Regards.

We don't have display control on iDAC-6MK2. The DAC does not facilitate firmware update.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 16, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #259 of 286
Sadly... but thanks for answer.

Btw, are the tubes replaceable/maintainable through the authorized service center or iDAC need to be send to developer?
During warranty period and after it.

Regards.

Technically speaking, the miniature tubes in iDAC-6 and iDAC-6MK2 are not difficult to replace, any service technician with tube amplifier experience should be able to handle that.

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #261 of 286
Greetings again, @Andykong

A few more questions, if you please:
Are these tubes swappable or soldered to the board?
Does iDAC have protection from instant power outage, including protection of connected devices?
How many ESS DACs uses MK2: one (1 x 9028) or two (2 x 9028)? I can't find exact info about this.
Is there any full image/photo of what inside MK2, i.e. not some distant photo from some show or cut image from some brochure?

Regards.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #262 of 286
Just a heads-up with anyone using this with Windows 10. There was a Windows update (I think late last year) that no longer allows the driver to install properly. Cayin worked on a new version for many months and had issues getting it to work. They release a new version last month but I still can't install it. If you already have a version installed and working, you are fine. I happened to get a new laptop earlier this year and have never been able to install the driver. So the Windows update will not bread a currently installed driver but it will prevent you from every loading a new one unless Cayin figures this out. I have found their support on this to be truly disappointing.

Sep 17, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #264 of 286
Sure, but it doesn't sound nearly as good (runs thru a lot of sound processing code) and I'm not sure it supports the higher resolutions. If they sounded the same, Cayin would not have gone thru the trouble of developing their own. Since they were working on the install problem for literally 6+ months and finally published what they thought was a fix, I actually asked support if they perhaps posted the old driver by mistake. That was last month that I asked and I never received a reply.

Sep 17, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #265 of 286
Sure, but it doesn't sound nearly as good (runs thru a lot of sound processing code) and I'm not sure it supports the higher resolutions. If they sounded the same, Cayin would not have gone thru the trouble of developing their own.
The general purpose driver for Windows is made by the exact same guys (thesyscon germany) so it should not sound very different from manufacturer specific driver. The difference is that the cayin one enables ASIO playback while the windows one can only do DirectSound and WASAPI. It should also do most sample rates. There's not much of a difference if you don't need ASIO.

Just saying.

Sep 25, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #267 of 286
Greetings again, @Andykong

A few more questions, if you please:
Are these tubes swappable or soldered to the board?
Does iDAC have protection from instant power outage, including protection of connected devices?
How many ESS DACs uses MK2: one (1 x 9028) or two (2 x 9028)? I can't find exact info about this.
Is there any full image/photo of what inside MK2, i.e. not some distant photo from some show or cut image from some brochure?

Regards.

The miniature tubes are hard wired to the PCB, they are not swappable.

Can't provide any information regarding "protection from instant power outage", but I run into these situation quite often at shows and event, and so far iDAC-6ii always power up again.

The iDAC-6ii use ONE pices of ES9028Pro.

This is as close as we have published on
Sales Guide 3.jpg
:

Last edited:

Sep 28, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #268 of 286
The miniature tubes are hard wired to the PCB, they are not swappable.
Got it, thanks.
Btw, what's main reason for using 6H16B (MK2) instead of 6N16B (MK1)?
Are there differences?

Can't provide any information regarding "protection from instant power outage", but I run into these situation quite often at shows and event, and so far iDAC-6ii always power up again.
I.e. if don't use UPS, will the device or tubes be damaged (with time) during "blackout" or not?
P.S. I don't mean electricity noise or voltage drops, only instant off.

The iDAC-6ii use ONE pices of ES9028Pro.
Thank you! All info I found says either indefinably or 2 x 9028 PRO.

This is as close as we have published on.
Yeah, I meant this by cut image. Sadly what there isn't a real close photo or full image of interior.

Regards.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #269 of 286
Got it, thanks.
Btw, what's main reason for using 6H16B (MK2) instead of 6N16B (MK1)?
Are there differences?

I.e. if don't use UPS, will the device or tubes be damaged (with time) during "blackout" or not?
P.S. I don't mean electricity noise or voltage drops, only instant off.

Thank you! All info I found says either indefinably or 2 x 9028 PRO.

Yeah, I meant this by cut image. Sadly what there isn't a real close photo or full image of interior.

Regards.

We changed to a different miniature tube when we redesign iDAC-6. The original iDAC-6 only allow users to select Tube/SS timbre at single-ended. The new tube allow users to select timbre in both Balanced and Single-ended output in iDAC-6MK2.

No, it won't damage or blackout at instant off. The tubes are used as a buffer, at very low voltage and current, it is very different from the power tube of a desktop amplifier that runs at 20 times higher (voltage), so we are safe on that.

In case you want to ask what is the different between buffer and amplifying, check it HERE.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #270 of 286
One minor thing about the iDAC-6 MK2, in case this may help someone; the Toslink optical input has a tiny little bit of latency / lag. I was planning to use that input for an HDMI audio extractor for my game consoles, and it was noticeable enough. I have a Wyred 4 Sound Remedy Reclocker which has coaxial output via both RCA and BNC, so I was able to use that for the optical signal and both the RCA and BNC inputs on the i-DAC 6 MK2 have no discernable latency / lag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back