Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Dec 13, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #2,296 of 3,742
I am not aware of any Android music player that have been specially focused on Classical music, but if you were refer to the Composer - Conductor type music management, I suggest you organize your music folders specially for this purpose, and that will allow you to adopt different DAP without causing a lot of problem....

Andy, thank you very much for your reply. This will be helpful as I continue to try to work out how best to arrange classical music on the i5 (or any DAP, for that matter).

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #2,297 of 3,742
verbositynow Very nice, concise review. What I like from the tour so far, is that we pretty much run the gamut of "seasoned head-fi pros", to relative newbies such as the two of us.

The different starting points is a true benefit to the community. And yes, this unit is a lovely piece of kit; topping my list of DAP's.

Hey folks, thanks for the feedback. Glad I could help out a bit, and excited at the quality of gear that's available to us these days! I'm looking forward to reading more reviews as they are made available. :beer:

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #2,299 of 3,742
Hi everyone,

My review unit suddenly can't turn on when I press the power button, I tried to connect it to a charger and to a pc and it is still not responding, please help T_T

Connect to a charger and keep it plug in for 30 minutes, check if the player are cool or slightly warm, and click the power button to find out if the charging icon will display.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 14, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #2,300 of 3,742
Connect to a charger and keep it plug in for 30 minutes, check if the player are cool or slightly warm, and click the power button to find out if the charging icon will display.

Hi Andy, thx for the quick reply.

I just did what you said, it is not turn on alright, interestingly the battery is well above 50%, so I was sure that it is behaving that way due to out of power.

but everything is good now, hehe

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #2,301 of 3,742
Hi Andy, thx for the quick reply.

I just did what you said, it is not turn on alright, interestingly the battery is well above 50%, so I was sure that it is behaving that way due to out of power.

but everything is good now, hehe

Good to know everything is back to normal now. :beerchug:

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #2,303 of 3,742
  Hi, I get Cayin i5.
I use this for almost a week, I am pleased with sound quality.

But my i5 crashes 3 times a day.
I doubt my micro sd card(TEAM 128GB).
What "File System" do you recommend? FAT32?exFAT?

safest compatibility would be fat32

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #2,304 of 3,742
So how good is the wifi on this player? I would use it as a DLNA player streaming lossless audio up to 24bit 96k Wirelessly. Any wifi interfearance? Does Tidal work well on it? Any type of auto donwsampling when you use the EQ?

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #2,305 of 3,742
So how good is the wifi on this player? I would use it as a DLNA player streaming lossless audio up to 24bit 96k Wirelessly. Any wifi interfearance? Does Tidal work well on it? Any type of auto donwsampling when you use the EQ?

couple reviews say the wifi and streaming is choppy, but i haven't try it on the review unit

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #2,306 of 3,742
Hi, my main problem is that when playing iso file, the tracks are not in sequence. Is it related with the hiby?

Any music player that can play iso recommended without the above problem ?

Thanks indeed.

I am not aware of any Android music player that have been specially focused on Classical music, but if you were refer to the Composer - Conductor type music management, I suggest you organize your music folders specially for this purpose, and that will allow you to adopt different DAP without causing a lot of problem.

I think a simple two-layer structure will serve the purpose.

First level Folder: name of Composer
Second level Folder: name of Conductor + Album name + Year (optional) + Label (optional)
File name: CD number (optional) + Track number + Track name

I prefer putting music files from multi-CD albums into one single folders because this will allow you to to listen to the complete album even when you DAP does not support play through folder feature.

Again, I am not familiar with Classical music, so what I assume will work might become a joke in the eyes of the experts, I welcome comment or alternative suggestions, or you can post your example on items that can't be organized correctly under this structure, I am sure we'll have another expert helping out promptly.

I have tried Foobar on Android, it works very well, but please understand Foobar only goes into Android market recently so don't expect the Android version of Foobar will be as comprehensive as the desktop version in near future. I am not familiar with JRiver, tried Gizmo briefly but don't really like it. Both Android app are not memory hungry so they should work satisfactory with i5.

i5 offers BT but unfortunately this is not the something that we are proud of because i5 don't support aptX. Sound performance is OK but not great. I have discussed the issue with some audiophile friends who want to use i5 in his car, and he finally come out with a solution by using the Line out of i5 to connect to the AUX input of his car audio system, and then he bought a BT remote control and mo unt that on his steering wheel. I find a similiar remote control on Amazon for your reference.

https://www.amazon.com/iSimple-Portable-Wireless-Smartphones-Bluetooth/dp/B00KPZN5UC

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #2,307 of 3,742
Hey,
since yesterday i ran into some kind of bug.
i used my i5 in dap mode, then some program crashed and afterwards the sound from the i5 was delayed.
you can really notice it when you see people speak or play video games with soundeffects.
it also seems to apply to the i5 on its own as i downloaded the youtube app to test if the i5 alone would also be out of sync.
same delay as in dac mode. i think this also applies to music only, as there is a delay after pressing play to when the music actually starts playing.
i already restarted it multiple times and did a cache wipe.
shall i just try to do a factory reset?

Andykong
any thoughts on this?

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #2,309 of 3,742
Try to uninstall some third party apps to test which app affect the DAP

As some posts in thread, it can conclude that some app that require some permission make DAP freeze

I actually just did 3 factory resets in a row with cache wipes in between to be sure everything is reset and the problem still prevails.
as i said before its not only occuring when using the i5 as dac, but also when using youtube app or just tidal/hiby with the player alone.
im still within 30 day warranty though, so i may just send it back and ask for a new one.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #2,310 of 3,742
Hey,
since yesterday i ran into some kind of bug.
i used my i5 in dap mode, then some program crashed and afterwards the sound from the i5 was delayed.
you can really notice it when you see people speak or play video games with soundeffects.
it also seems to apply to the i5 on its own as i downloaded the youtube app to test if the i5 alone would also be out of sync.
same delay as in dac mode. i think this also applies to music only, as there is a delay after pressing play to when the music actually starts playing.
i already restarted it multiple times and did a cache wipe.
shall i just try to do a factory reset?

I actually just did 3 factory resets in a row with cache wipes in between to be sure everything is reset and the problem still prevails.
as i said before its not only occuring when using the i5 as dac, but also when using youtube app or just tidal/hiby with the player alone.
im still within 30 day warranty though, so i may just send it back and ask for a new one.

If you are referring to the video/audio synchronization problem, or a common issue known as lip-sync, the issue have been discussed previously, if you search YouTube in the "Search This Thread" function, you should be able to check out previous discussion on this topic. I have provided one of my reply to the lip-sync issue for your reference.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802382/cayin-i5-lossless-android-dap-with-akm4490-dac-supporting-32-384-pcm-64-128-dsd/1335#post_12877550

Using i5 in DAC mode will increase the magnitude of the lip-sync problem because the video and audio are now decoded by two different devices and there is no centralized clock in the system to control and synchronization any function across the platform.

The quickest option is to introduce a buffer function to slow down the faster device so that it will synchronize with the slower device. From what I observed, the video is always the faster device and the i5 DAC is always the slower device, so the proper way out is to add a buffer in the video device instead of try to ask the i5 DAC to speed up in order to synchronize with the video. In fact, some of the smart TV has provided similar function already as the lip syn problem will always occurs when the video and audio are processed by different device.

For the record, i5 is a digital audio player and we have not listed any video playback or support feature in our product description.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back