Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 29, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #932 of 2,966
I hear a very loud hum whenever I use balanced input and use SE output. It's noticeably lower in level when using balanced output, but still intrudes on the performance when playing music. Using SE input, I get zero hum on SE or balanced output, though there is a very faint buzzing noise on the SE output that's eliminated when using balanced output. Currently troubleshooting the problem with Alex.

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #933 of 2,966

I will have to try a different DAC. Many times this kind of discrepancy is all about input level.
Stillhart, what are you driving the LC with?

Believe Dan is using the DAC-19. Cheers

Correct!  I'm surprised there's anyone in the LC thread that doesn't know that by now!  lol  I've been talking about the pairing since... I don't know, May or June?  And I brought my DAC-19 to RMAF and had it at the Cavalli table with the LC so people could sample it there.

Michael, you're using the Pulse Infinity, right?  Any volume issues on your end?  Is there a Line Out setting that has to be turned on?

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #934 of 2,966
Believe Dan is using the DAC-19. Cheers

Yes, that seems to be one he likes. I wish I had taken time to listen to it at RMAF. In any case, things can change, so I thought I would ask.

I thought that someone(s) else had mentioned using a Pulse with their LC. Those would be the people I would really like to hear from on the output level  question.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #935 of 2,966
  I got my LC today and something weird happened...I listen to the amp for about two hours and got a buzzing/cracking noise on the right channel while using my HD800 in balanced...

Does it happened to anyone else?

I sent my Carbon back to Cavalli today because of this. I posted in one of the other Carbon threads (http://www.head-fi.org/t/761088/new-cavalli-audios-liquid-carbon-a-599-cavalli-amp/5160#post_12205012).

Was good for the full burn-in (>150 hours) then suddenly noise (hiss-type) in only the right channel at only 3x gain with only balanced INPUTs. This was unusual hiss because it was loudest at zero volume and gone at max volume...

Quote:
  Anyone using the LC with the HE 560s? ... I noticed that I could quite easily drive the 560s wide open at 1X gain.

I ran my HE560s balanced with Gumby hooked up to the Carbon balanced at first, then both balanced and SE (RCA).  From measuring my output voltage and using the headphone power calculator, I found that my standard listening level is equal to ~25mV or ~70 dB. For 1x gain that was about 10:30 and at 3x gain was ~8:45 oclock. The highest I listened on 1x was about 2 oclock, which is about 90 dB (estimated from mV readings at 12 and 3 oclock). I read that Gumby's outputs are considered hot, FWIW.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #936 of 2,966
For anyone using a Hugo as a DAC, what volumes are the Hugo and LC at for reasonable listening levels? I tried line out (Hugo volume knob glows green) and at about 11 o clock on the LC the volume was too low. So now the Hugo volume knob is dark blue and at 11 o clock on the Hugo and the listening level is better. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #937 of 2,966
For anyone using a Hugo as a DAC, what volumes are the Hugo and LC at for reasonable listening levels? I tried line out (Hugo volume knob glows green) and at about 11 o clock on the LC the volume was too low. So now the Hugo volume knob is dark blue and at 11 o clock on the Hugo and the listening level is better. 

No wrong answer there as the Hugo volume settings simply adjust the voltage out, like a variable line out. Whatever level you prefer would be the best level without over driving the LC IMO.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #938 of 2,966
No wrong answer there as the Hugo volume settings simply adjust the voltage out, like a variable line out. Whatever level you prefer would be the best level without over driving the LC IMO.

Thanks for that. I just want to make sure the amp is working alright. Haha

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #940 of 2,966
Dec 29, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #941 of 2,966
Correct!  I'm surprised there's anyone in the LC thread that doesn't know that by now!  lol  I've been talking about the pairing since... I don't know, May or June?  And I brought my DAC-19 to RMAF and had it at the Cavalli table with the LC so people could sample it there.

Michael, you're using the Pulse Infinity, right?  Any volume issues on your end?  Is there a Line Out setting that has to be turned on?

No issues. Just set it to -0.0db and let the music fly!

With my Mojo I use the "blue-balls" pseudo line-out setting.

Cheers

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #942 of 2,966
I forget, are you using SE or balanced out?

I'm using balanced out. Can't seem to get the line out working on my Hugo. When I switch on with the crossfeed button pressed the volume knob is green and not light blue like the manual says it should be.

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #943 of 2,966

I just turn on my Hugo normally, then I adjust the volume to between light blue to dark blue.  Then the volume on my LC is usually around 10-11 o'clock. I find this gives me good adjustment with the HE-500 using balanced output.  If I were using sensitive IEM's I would adjust the volume on the Hugo a little lower to give more adjustability with the LC.

This is what I have been doing anyways.

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #944 of 2,966
I'm using balanced out. Can't seem to get the line out working on my Hugo. When I switch on with the crossfeed button pressed the volume knob is green and not light blue like the manual says it should be.

There is no seperate amp circuit to bypass so I'd suggest just bumping up the volume to light blue (~3V). Strange that holding the cross feed while powering on doesn't get you the volume shortcut to line level.

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #945 of 2,966

I just turn on my Hugo normally, then I adjust the volume to between light blue to dark blue.  Then the volume on my LC is usually around 10-11 o'clock. I find this gives me good adjustment with the HE-500 using balanced output.  If I were using sensitive IEM's I would adjust the volume on the Hugo a little lower to give more adjustability with the LC.

This is what I have been doing anyways.

When my Hugo volume knob is dark blue, I need the LC volume to be at around 1 o clock for my listening level in balanced out. I don't know if I just like it loud or if something is wrong with the amp. I'm using LCD2Fs btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back