Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 29, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #916 of 2,966
Anyone using the LC with the HE 560s? I am curious about how you are running volume and gain settings. I have run the LC for over 150 hours. Mostly into the HD 650 balanced. I have been driving it balanced from a Pulse Infinity. I decided to take a bit of time to listen last night. I noticed that I could quite easily drive the 560s wide open at 1X gain. Not ear splitting by any means. I generally like to go with minimum gain. Sort of a matter of principle, but also reducing gain stages can't hurt.
I need to go back and play some more prior to writing much in the way of impressions... and try some of the other phones.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #917 of 2,966
Hi,

I got my LC today and something weird happened.
I listen to the amp for about two hours and got a buzzing/cracking noise on the right channel while using my HD800 in balanced. The noise is present even with the volume at 0.
I swapped cable and went to se and still the noise. I check to see if there is something wrong with the HD800 by plugging it in an other amp and I have no issue.
So I try the LC with my Audeze and I hear the noise.

I put it aside for around an hour, launch it again and everything is back to normal.
I proceed to put IsoTek - Full System Enhancer & Rejuvenation Disc for two run and then plug the LC to my main system again.
For a few hours, everything is fine and no I got the same buzzing/crackling noise in the right channel.

Does it happened to anyone else?

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #918 of 2,966
No.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #919 of 2,966
No crackling / buzzing with mine.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #920 of 2,966
OK, a nube question here;

Using the Emotiva DC-1 DAC w/ the LC.
Currently using an optical-in cable to come from the iMac.
Does it matter sample wise if I'm in Asynchonous or
Synchronous? The read out says "SAMPLE 96k" in
either mode.

I know some are MP3's so is it Resampling/converting?
Or, do I need to use a USB in instead of the Optical in?

Hmmm...

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #921 of 2,966

Anyone using the LC with the HE 560s? I am curious about how you are running volume and gain settings. I have run the LC for over 150 hours. Mostly into the HD 650 balanced. I have been driving it balanced from a Pulse Infinity. I decided to take a bit of time to listen last night. I noticed that I could quite easily drive the 560s wide open at 1X gain. Not ear splitting by any means. I generally like to go with minimum gain. Sort of a matter of principle, but also reducing gain stages can't hurt.
I need to go back and play some more prior to writing much in the way of impressions... and try some of the other phones.

Yep, plenty of headroom at 1x gain.  IIRC, I'm usually listening around 10:00 on the volume dial.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #922 of 2,966
OK, a nube question here;

Using the Emotiva DC-1 DAC w/ the LC.
Currently using an optical-in cable to come from the iMac.
Does it matter sample wise if I'm in Asynchonous or
Synchronous? The read out says "SAMPLE 96k" in
either mode.

I know some are MP3's so is it Resampling/converting?
Or, do I need to use a USB in instead of the Optical in?

Hmmm...

Probably should ask in the Emotiva thread.... :wink_face:

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #923 of 2,966
Car troubles have distracted me from more pleasurable pursuits this evening, but I've just had a very quick check on the hum issue.

No problem with the LC - with no inputs connected, there is no hum or other audible noise with any phones on any output.

Connecting my Emotiva Stealth DAC via balanced XLR results in quite a bit of hum on the SE output with both low- and high-impedance phones.

I parallel connected the SE output from the Emotiva to the LC and this eliminated the hum on high-impedance phones and reduced it considerably on the low-impedance ones. Am I right in thinking that this suggests there may be an issue with the ground reference connection within the DAC or cables?

With single-ended input connection only, there was some audible hum on the low-impedance phones, but nowhere near as much as when balanced inputs used.

Balanced output to my B&W P7s has no audible hum in any configuration.

I'll check out the cables and connections a bit more when I get a chance, but I'm satisfied that any issue is related to what I have connected to the LC rather than the amp itself.

Incidentally, I didn't have time for any longer critical listening, but switching between the SE and balanced inputs made no apparent difference whatsoever to the balanced output - The LC sounds equally as beautiful from both.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #924 of 2,966
OK, I actually read the User Manual and...

Asynchronous will get rid of any Jitter w/o changing the sound.

and the sample rate displayed is what the DAC is receiving from
the iMac (which in this case is being resampled to 96k)

Helps to read the manual!

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #925 of 2,966
  Car troubles have distracted me from more pleasurable pursuits this evening, but I've just had a very quick check on the hum issue.

No problem with the LC - with no inputs connected, there is no hum or other audible noise with any phones on any output.

Connecting my Emotiva Stealth DAC via balanced XLR results in quite a bit of hum on the SE output with both low- and high-impedance phones.

I parallel connected the SE output from the Emotiva to the LC and this eliminated the hum on high-impedance phones and reduced it considerably on the low-impedance ones. Am I right in thinking that this suggests there may be an issue with the ground reference connection within the DAC or cables?

snip

Yes.  Dr. Cavalli wrote a post about this some time ago.  Let me see if I can find it...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/763905/finding-a-dac-for-the-cavalli-liquid-carbon-only-four-months-to-go/270#post_11617816

In a normal XLR connection where pin 1 (by convention) carries the ground, the two metal grounds are connected. If the ground wires are absent the only way the boxes can establish a ground reference is through the signal lines and in doing so inject noise into the actual signal. People who have tried to use only the four wire TRRS cable as a balanced connection between two devices have discovered this. I believe, for example, that A&K has.

So, if you have a source with an RSA or TRRS balanced output you can't simply use four wires. There is a solution, however, which is a little kludgy, but not too bad.

I know this isn't quite your situation as he's referencing TRRS to XLR connections.  However, if there's something wrong with your cables or DAC, then the ground wire might not be working as advertised, causing this situation.  Since connecting the RCA helped fix the problem, which is basically the solution he explained later in the post, I'd say it's likely that a grounding issue between the devices is your culprit.

I'm no EE, but it seems to make sense...

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #927 of 2,966
Thanks to those who responded to my post.  I do not know if I should and how to respond to multiple feedbacks so I am picking one to.

I also used the iFi micro iDSD.  The same.  I have Etymotic 4R and a bunch of other in ears thrown at the SE output.  The same.  The hum is there; lower with less sensitive earphones but it is always there.  I also tried to plug in my LCD 3 in the balanced output at the same time, did not make a difference to the hum from the SE output.

Interestingly from the responses it seems some of you (i.e., WNPC) do not hear noise/hum from the SE output and others to different degrees (goes away with lower sensitive headphones).  So can this be inconsistency in the production run of LC? 

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #928 of 2,966
Thanks to those who responded to my post.  I do not know if I should and how to respond to multiple feedbacks so I am picking one to.

I also used the iFi micro iDSD.  The same.  I have Etymotic 4R and a bunch of other in ears thrown at the SE output.  The same.  The hum is there; lower with less sensitive earphones but it is always there.  I also tried to plug in my LCD 3 in the balanced output at the same time, did not make a difference to the hum from the SE output.

Interestingly from the responses it seems some of you (i.e., WNPC) do not hear noise/hum from the SE output and others to different degrees (goes away with lower sensitive headphones).  So can this be inconsistency in the production run of LC? 

Have you tried a different plug in a different location/circuit in your home? Really sounds like a ground loop issue to me.

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #929 of 2,966

Yep, plenty of headroom at 1x gain.  IIRC, I'm usually listening around 10:00 on the volume dial.

I will have to try a different DAC. Many times this kind of discrepancy is all about input level.
Stillhart, what are you driving the LC with?

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #930 of 2,966
I will have to try a different DAC. Many times this kind of discrepancy is all about input level.
Stillhart, what are you driving the LC with?

Believe Dan is using the DAC-19. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back