Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold with Abyss AB-1266 - Head-Fi TV
Jan 26, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #31 of 102
Look,
You're paying a premium price for a premium product , fairly straight forward. However he has to mark up the product's price to continue making amps and support himself and employes, at least in my opinion there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you have to mark the price to provide, so be it.

Right, and so do those other top contenders. This is why IMO it's overpriced comparatively.
Set the price at whatever you want, if people pay it, so be it.

But claiming ends are just being met and it's to stay afloat is speculation.

For all we know Alex has a garage full of Ferrari's.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #32 of 102
Now, I also feel it's rather void of much analysis, hence I felt this was more made for the purpose of making an endorsement than providing much insight on why is this that special a phone. Yet again, I would be the last person on earth being able to express how I hear gear through a video so indeed that's not my position to criticize.

For the positioning of SR009 as ethereal, you wanted to bring some contrast between it and the abyss, I get it. It's unfortunate though that, by putting it this way, while you make the abyss look good, you also spit on the 009 and stats in general by propagating the same old (untrue to these ears) cliche. 

Arnaud, if such a cliche bothers you, why not turn it around in threads concerning such? My suggestion would be term replacement. Would sound more objective than negative criticism toward other products to make your point. Please allow us to have our own cliche.

About the "physicality" of the sound.

A French just bought a used Abyss at an U.S man. This is an Abyss who apparently served only two hours. The reason for the sale? This American prefers apparently upgrade its speakers. Maybe this headphone was not enough "physical" for his taste for replace the speakers?

You left out the fact that his wife purchased it for him as a gift, probably in the hopes he would not buy larger loudspeakers.:regular_smile :

Unless you are apart of Cavalli Audio you can't really say. Considering the top few other considerations the LAu is rather overpriced, er, expensive. Whatever.

I'd rather hear it from Alex himself, than, well, you.

Statements concerning actual costs in anything we do have no basis in fact unless you're the one writing the checks. No one should have to defend themselves for trying to make a go at doing what they love.

There's this 'cliche' that stems from the DIY community that nothing should cost more than it costs to build, however no one makes a living at it. Alex and many others in the headphone community have been there, done that, and are now taking it to the next step trying to build a company and make a living at it. And guess what, he's finding out how damn expensive it is to do so in a very low volume business.

It's akin to being in your early 20's, getting married, buying a house, having children, clothing and expenses, trouble in school, college, finding a job... coming full circle. Then someone who has never been married, has no kids, and lives in an apartment, telling you you're doing it all wrong, and demanding an explanation.

...Maybe a garage full of screwed-up aluminum chassis parts, that's a fact...

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jan 26, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #33 of 102
I dunno, the STAX stuff, especially the SR009 does have a unique "ethereal" quality to it. I got the chance to hear one again after  a long time away from stats. There's airy floaty gentleness with how it tickles my eardrums. It's not bad thing. Maybe too much of a good thing.

e·the·re·al
iˈTHi(ə)rēəl/
adjective
    extremely delicate and light in a way that seems too perfect for this world.

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #34 of 102
  Right, and so do those other top contenders. This is why IMO it's overpriced comparatively.
Set the price at whatever you want, if people pay it, so be it.

But claiming ends are just being met and it's to stay afloat is speculation.

For all we know Alex has a garage full of Ferrari's.

Idk about that...

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #35 of 102

No, I'm not a part of Cavalli Audio. Nor are the folks speculating that Alex is selling amps from an inflatable recliner in the middle of an olympic sized pool. Nor are you when you say the amp is overpriced. When it comes to guessing profit margins, it works both ways. 

You made a statement about Cavalli’s $ state. I simply challenged your statement 
because how could you know? You don’t, so you shouldn’t have said anything in the first place.

. It's one thing to say you feel this or that amp isn't worth the cost to you, but quite another to start speculating on how much money the designers are getting from it.

Total BS. Don’t put words in my mouth. I never questioned how much profit the LAu brings Alex.

I simply expressed how I feel the LAu is overpriced compared to competitors. 
And have often used Headamp as a reference. 

Idk about that...

Exactly. Sarcastic conjecture. We don't know.

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #36 of 102
Alex is a dark lord of the Sith. You guys will never figure out how many Ferraris he has in his garage.

Seriously. What does this "garage full of Ferraris" have to do with anything? This is the samo samo BS we've heard used against Ray Samuels, et. al. by certain persons and their crowd of supporters. If you don't like how the LAu sounds, just go ahead and say so and don't buy it. If the LAu is too rich for you, you can say that too.

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #37 of 102
The question is why so much never ceasing focus on Cavalli? This is not necessarily addressed to you, but also to others.

I've heard a $10K EMM DAC which I didn't think was worth over $1K. I've heard a $5k Ressossnence DAC which I didn't think was worth over $1000. I've heard the $10K Apex Pinnacle with an equivalent "DIY"ish chassis which did not sound as good as the better looking "Moth-esque $4K ECBA. You don't see me or others go on and on and on about how "Ed Meitner or Pete Millet, for all we know, could have several Lambos in his garage." This specific behavior toward Alex, but not others is what I find strange. Just something to chew on.

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #38 of 102
  The question is why so much never ceasing focus on Cavalli? This is not necessarily addressed to you, but also to others.

I've heard a $10K EMM DAC which I didn't think was worth over $1K. I've heard a $5k Ressossnence DAC which I didn't think was worth over $1000. I've heard the $10K Apex Pinnacle with an equivalent "DIY"ish chassis which did not sound as good as the better looking "Moth-esque $4K ECBA. You don't see me or others go on and on and on about how "Ed Meitner or Pete Millet, for all we know, could have several Lambos in his garage." This specific behavior toward Alex, but not others is what I find strange. Just something to chew on.

I can only speak for myself. I believe there are other's out there with ax's to grind, I'm not one of them. I actually loved the LG and thought the Pinnacle was a disappointment, too.

What I think or feel, this is Head-Fi with a focus on headphone products. Thus, LAu is in direct 'line of fire.' I agree, there's a ton of overpriced stuff out there. Nature of the beast, I guess.

In regards to the Lambo/Ferrari comment, it only came up as a counterpoint to Muppets 'just getting by' comment. 

I care less if Alex or Justin or Craig or Jason or whomever drive expensive cars. Haha. And if BHSE wasn't what it was I may find it overpriced.

In the end, I was only offering my 2cents and IMO the LAu is overpriced, but value is subjective. 

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #40 of 102
Yeah, I don't understand the bashing that Cavalli gets.  I respect the guy after buying a cheap as chips Cavalli modified Morgan Jones amp that will finally give the D7000s a true tube experience.  I would love nothing more to own one of his statement amps.

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #42 of 102
I would have loved to try the Abyss phones with the amp.  As Jude said the physicality of the amp is just there.  Listening to "Baba O'Reilly" felt like the air in the room was quaking.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #43 of 102
liked the video and jude's enthusiasm for a rig that's blown him away. nothing wrong with getting excited about great sounding head fi and he's pretty much heard it all. that's gotta say something about how good the rig sounds to him. but he also points out the high price and how it's not so versatile. agree that the abyss has this physical sound. thought it sounded great. didn't hear it with the cavalli tho.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #44 of 102
Great review Jude.  I totally agree with what I heard while I had the amp.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #45 of 102
I may have missed it but what was the source? What was feeding this brilliant combo? DAC? CD? PC? Mac? Software? BitRates? Don't they play as an important role as the Cavalli and Abyss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back