Can't Decide...I'm A Bass Hound
Jan 5, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #61 of 71
Well its been a little bit. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything because I bought an iPhone 4s for sprint for full price (I signed up this July so no upgrade) so that depleted my funds. However, I miss my evo 3d's bigger screen so this baby is going back in a couple weeks and I'll get my money back.

Anyways I meant to ask about ie8 vs Westone 4. I know ie8/80 has better bass response but how deep does it go I into the ear canal vs the Westone? Im used to the tips going in kinda deep because of my MTPGs but not ear drum puncturing deep lol. I feel they don't sound as good if they don't create that seal I have with my MTPGs, this was one of my problems with Sony MDR ex600 aside from the fit issue where the tips would stay in my ear canal when removing the monitors but they still felt too big for my ears.

Thanks,

Matt

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #62 of 71
Quote:
Anyways I meant to ask about ie8 vs Westone 4. I know ie8/80 has better bass response but how deep does it go I into the ear canal vs the Westone?

The W4's rest deeper within the ear, if that is of concern. However, coupled with longer tips, such as triflanges, the IE8/80 will rest just as deep.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #64 of 71
I've owned a pair of MTPG's for a year now, and I think they're great. Had some trouble with the fit, but found that the hybrid foam/silicon tips worked the best (the grey or white ones)

I just upgraded to the FX700 a week or so ago, and I actually haven't even felt the need to pop those golds back in, the fx700 sound is so addicting

Plus, the squishy foam tips included with the fx700 fits great, I got a seal much easier than the golds

Jan 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #65 of 71
@daMannino Nice to hear that about JVC but foam tips were a no go for me from the start. I tried them and couldn't get the same fit as the smallest monster silicon tips. Oh well, everyone has different ears :)

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #66 of 71
Ok well can anybody clarify on sennheiser ie8 vs Westone 3? Again sorry to be annoying but which will accommodate my small ear better?

Oh and a few sample tracks I love for bass.

First one for me definitely has to be Birdman with Drake and Lil' Wayne in Playball. The bass booms when Drake sings the hook and during the song when it punches 3 times one after another. At the end of the song when there are no vocals I love hearing the bass boom.

Another is I'm On One with Drake, Rick Ross(his size in the video scares me), and Lil' Wayne. Again, I love the bass from the hook.

One track for constant bass thumping that is probably my favorite for bass is Beamer, Benz, or Bentley with Lloyd Banks and Juelz Santana.

Another has gotta be Rick Ross, Chrisette Michelle, and Drake in Aston Martin Music. Especially when Drake flaunts his quasi falsetto voice.

Finally, there is Fancy with Drake, T.I. and Swizz Beatz.

My selection may seem a bit "new school." Still, I can give five of my favorite 90s tracks. First one is Still Not A Playa with Big Pun and Joe. Next is Big Poppa by Biggie. Then Jay-Zs Hard Knock Life. Diddy and Mase in Can't Nobody Hold Me Down. Finally Mo Money Mo Problems.

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #67 of 71

Quote:
Ok well can anybody clarify on sennheiser ie8 vs Westone 3? Again sorry to be annoying but which will accommodate my small ear better?

Oh and a few sample tracks I love for bass.

First one for me definitely has to be Birdman with Drake and Lil' Wayne in Playball. The bass booms when Drake sings the hook and during the song when it punches 3 times one after another. At the end of the song when there are no vocals I love hearing the bass boom.

Another is I'm On One with Drake, Rick Ross(his size in the video scares me), and Lil' Wayne. Again, I love the bass from the hook.

One track for constant bass thumping that is probably my favorite for bass is Beamer, Benz, or Bentley with Lloyd Banks and Juelz Santana.

Another has gotta be Rick Ross, Chrisette Michelle, and Drake in Aston Martin Music. Especially when Drake flaunts his quasi falsetto voice.

Finally, there is Fancy with Drake, T.I. and Swizz Beatz.

My selection may seem a bit "new school." Still, I can give five of my favorite 90s tracks. First one is Still Not A Playa with Big Pun and Joe. Next is Big Poppa by Biggie. Then Jay-Zs Hard Knock Life. Diddy and Mase in Can't Nobody Hold Me Down. Finally Mo Money Mo Problems.

IE8 has deeper and more bass. It also has a wider soundstage. The Westone 3s on the other hand have more prominent highs, it is also very V-shaped, whereas the IE8 isn't as much. And if you're a basshead, the IE8s will do better for you. The Westone 3s might, but there's always some sort of uncertainty since some bassheads aren't satisfied with it's bass and decides to downgrade.

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #68 of 71

Quote:
IE8 has deeper and more bass. It also has a wider soundstage. The Westone 3s on the other hand have more prominent highs, it is also very V-shaped, whereas the IE8 isn't as much. And if you're a basshead, the IE8s will do better for you. The Westone 3s might, but there's always some sort of uncertainty since some bassheads aren't satisfied with it's bass and decides to downgrade.

Westone 3 is very tricky IEM, it needs to rest deep, almost like Ety deep to get the best sound, if it sits a bit shallow, it will be too bassy and muddy.

Given the proper fit and seal, it sounds like TF10 without the recessed mids

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #70 of 71
@ Totally Dubbed How would their design compare to MTPG in terms of fit and can I use my silicon tips from Monster? Anywhere to get them form a us seller with a nice return policy?

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #71 of 71

Quote:
@ Totally Dubbed How would their design compare to MTPG in terms of fit and can I use my silicon tips from Monster? Anywhere to get them form a us seller with a nice return policy?

well from what I know, TFTA ship to US - return policy wise they were very good, however don't expect to be treated amazon style.
Even amazon, I've read countless stories of people being banned permanently from amazon after returning X amount of items in a year.

I myself got banned from a UK distributor = advanced MP3, and guess for what?
MTPC's now the best thing here was that the MTPC's I received were 100% fake LOL

So be wary of that.

Fit wise, they have different housing and thus different fits.
Personally I MUCH prefer the TFTA's simply because:
They are NOT as heavy.

MTPG's were heavy on my ears, I had to use the strain relief to make them not feel that i had to get them off after 1hr of use.

Isolatio wise mosnter were on par if not-depending on fit wise worse thant he TFTA's.

TFTA's lose isolation "points" due to their hole on the end of them - but at the same time this helps the bass + makes them more "airy" = sound stage being better

Long story short:
You want a nice earphones with a brilliant warranty, flashy looks, good SQ, with a "subtle" but nice bass impact, but for a steep price?
MTPG is for you

You want something, that isn't as flashy, is comfortable, comes with 2 years warranty, no extra tips/boxes carrying pouch, good price, but a bass that will blow anything you have ever heard, and make you laugh on how crap the rest are (by this i mean TFTA 1XB....seriously headphones can't compete with them. Putting earphones vs TFTA 1XB's is just unfair LOL?
TFTA is for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back