CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #32 of 955
But in reaching this conclusion had you got to listen to Yggdrasil? TIA

For me, the choice would be the Hugo portable, or upgrading the W4S DAC 2.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #35 of 955
  SO, how crowded did the event feel? long waits to listen to stuff?

Don't know if Saturday's turnout will be different from Sunday's, but there was practically no wait (no more than eight minutes max for anything other than the audiologist ear impressions, and most things considerably less than than that). Which makes me even more mad at myself for walking away from the HiFiMan 1000s to "come back later" and then realizing as I got in the freeway that I never did! Idiot! 

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #37 of 955

Don't know if Saturday's turnout will be different from Sunday's, but there was practically no wait (no more than eight minutes max for anything other than the audiologist ear impressions, and most things considerably less than than that). Which makes me even more mad at myself for walking away from the HiFiMan 1000s to "come back later" and then realizing as I got in the freeway that I never did! Idiot! 

Yep, idiot! Might as well just give up the hobby :)

I missed so much at RMAF when I went last year I almost wonder if it was same event I was reading about.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #38 of 955
  How are people supposed to buy tix for Sunday if eventbrite wont let you???  Just pay cash at the door??

Yes, cash is fine.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #40 of 955
Mr Speakers Ether was EVERYWHERE and arguably hit of the show, very impressive and light as can be.

They did get a LOT of exposure, and paired well with everything I listened to.  Very tempting.  For me it's the ETHER or the HD800s. Decisions, decisions. LOL

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #41 of 955

Yep, idiot! Might as well just give up the hobby :)

I missed so much at RMAF when I went last year I almost wonder if it was same event I was reading about.

Yeah, the funny thing is, I listened to a ton of gadgets, prototypes, and even things I had no interest in (in ear monitors, for starters) and then I miss out on one of the chief reasons I went! Still tons of fun, though, and I thought that it was organized really well. Plenty of room, lots of vendors, and a really fine show program. Reduced parking, too. There were a few high end amp manufacturers that I wish would have been there that were there at past Head-fi events, but other than that, an excellent show. I came away impressed by how easy it is now to find good sound at all price points, and by the proliferation of high end products. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #42 of 955
RIVA's Turbo X is on demo in the Bolsa Chica room on the 3rd floor. Come meet the team and get the CanJam show special!

This beast was seriously impressive. Good sound, crazy battery life, and major volume. I'm debating picking one up when I head back to the meet tomorrow.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #43 of 955
I arrived early, trying countless miss after miss (as in 'hit or miss')... headphones that were 'close but no cigar'. To me the biggest winners by far are the old Sony MDR R10 (wooden), and the new AKG  K7XX. I tried all the Mr. Speakers, Audeze, Stax, Hifiman, etc. and the only ones that came close to these were SR-007 & 009, HE-1000 and maybe Shure SRH 1540. Oh the warmth, balance, natural tonal character, soundstage and dynamics of these two  are something that must be heard to be believed.

The Mr. Speakers Ether was really good to my ears  but after enough second-thoughts and comparison I came to realize too much of the soundstage / detail was lost by the fully open design. I may however just change my favorite after tomorrow because I still have to try the last 1/4th of the headphones and spend more than the 5 seconds I spent on the HE-1000 so far.

EDIT: This review above was only my 'initial impressions'. So now after the 2nd full day at CanJam and some serious comparisons I have concluded the Sennh. HD 600 to be superior than the AKG K7XX, and I have personally chosen the headphone kings as: Hifiman HE 1000 (only with the monster size EF 1000 amp), and Hifiman HE-6. My favorite amps were the Continental Dual Mono, Chord Hugo, Groove Apogee, Cavali Liquid Silicon and the  Schiit Modi 2 DAC + Schiit Vali amp combo... more to come on page 16-ish. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #44 of 955
  I arrived early, trying countless miss after miss (as in 'hit or miss')... headphones that were 'close but no cigar'. To me the biggest winners by far are the old Sony MDR R10 (wooden), and the new AKG  K7XX. I tried all the Mr. Speakers, Audeze, Stax, Hifiman, etc. and the only ones that came close to these were SR-007 & 009, HE-1000 and maybe Shure SRH 1540. Oh the warmth, balance, natural tonal character, soundstage and dynamics of these two  are something that must be heard to be believed.

The Mr. Speakers Ether was really good to my ears  but after enough second-thoughts and comparison I came to realize too much of the soundstage / detail was lost by the fully open design. I may however just change my favorite after tomorrow because I still have to try the last 1/4th of the headphones and spend more than the 5 seconds I spent on the HE-1000 so far.

I love the K7xx! It is an amazing headphone for its price.

what do you mean that sound stage & detail was lost by a fully open design? usually open headphones have better sound stage & sound more natural than closed headphones.

look forward to seeing the rest of your impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back