CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 955
Really enjoyed Can Jam.  I met with a friend who's a great product photographer, Lee Shelly, who took me around and hooked me up with some of the best gear at the show.  Here are my highlights:

MrSpeakers Ether was perhaps the biggest surprise of the show.  Every bit the LCD 2 but super lightweight and comfortable. My 2nd favorite full size of the show.

Chord has been getting rave reviews of their products, I got to find out why.  My only complaint-- price.  Whoa hella expensive.    

This Oppo portable HA-2 DAC/Amp would have been my one show purchase, but they're out of stock.  I will be purchasing this to replace my Fiio Alpen.  Great size, the amp is on-par with my Pico Slim.  Sold!  Oh, and it will charge your iPhone.  Can you stand it?

Best in-ear I heard at the show-- by far-- the Astell & Kern / JH Audio Layla.  This is on the buy list, though it may be a while.  These in ears give the same musical experience as over the hear phones.  Quite an accomplishment.  Crazy soundstage for an in-ear.  The only knock is that they're a bit large.  I'd opt for the customs.  They'll set you back $2500, but no one will steal them.

The line for the HE-1000 wasn't as bad as predicted.  I got 2 sit downs with these headphones, and they will replace my HD-800 when they come to market.  Simply stunning sound in every way.  The balanced version brought slightly better imaging and treble response, to my ears anyway.  Bass response is off the charts.  Super fast. Too bad the room was so noisy!  Yeah they're expensive, but I liked them as much as the Stax 009 and they don't need a $5000 dollar amp to work well.  This will be the king of the hill headphone, I predict for the next year or two.

Simply a show stopper.  Want.

ALO brought their brand new Continental 2.  It's a DAC/ Tube amp portable, on the high side of the spectrum for a portable at $1500 ish, but still less than the Chord.  Not an overwhelming amount of power, but what's there is gorgeous.

The Chord Hugo TT is the best DAC I've heard yet, period.  But I don't see this purchase happening.  It's going to cost more than my WA-5LE with upgraded tubes.  Man, the form factor on this is sweet.  A knockout.  Not sure if giving up my Wyred4Sound DAC 2 is worth the extra thousands.  

See y'all next year.

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #18 of 955
Thanks for sharing your impressions. And yes sometime in the next two years I shall get the He 1000. But for now I am happy I have ordered MrSpeakers ETHER, and your pics helped stave off the anticipation I am feeling.

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #20 of 955
Haha, I am the bearded dude standing behind the two seated guys at the Senn table in the "Event Coverage" photo on the home page. My favorite table was the Blue Hawaii amps, because they had the Stax 009, Stax 007, LCD-3, LCD-X, H-560, HE-6, and HD-800, and I could try them all out in quick A/B succession. Super fun. The HiFiMan table was buzzing because the HE-1000 was amazing (on par with the Stax, at least to my ears), but their music selection was bafflingly terrible. And my favorite exhibitor was Marc Cohen of Audeze, who was like a super personable combo of Bill Nye and Mr. Rogers promoting a line of excellent products. As a headphone noob with only a pair of Senn HD380 pros to my name, I couldn't have asked for a better intro to summit head-fi. 

Slightly disappointed by the lack of analog sources, though I did meet one dude with a full complement of Sherwood receivers (tube & SS) and a Concept 2QD tt, which sounded great on his DIY speaker taps. Nice work, brother.

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #21 of 955
Great products, great people, great show. Congratulations to Jude and the team!!!

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #23 of 955
Great reports, looking forward to reading more impressions, wishing I was there....

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #24 of 955

The Chord Hugo TT is the best DAC I've heard yet, period.  But I don't see this purchase happening.  It's going to cost more than my WA-5LE with upgraded tubes.  Man, the form factor on this is sweet.  A knockout.  Not sure if giving up my Wyred4Sound DAC 2 is worth the extra thousands.  

See y'all next year.

Did you happen to have a chance to listen to the schiit Yggy? I also have a W4S Dac2 and am seriously considering upgrading to Yggy, so I'd love to get your opinion on whether or not you think the difference is large enough to justify the extra dough.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #29 of 955
Did anyone get the chance to hear the Questyle QP1/QP1 Pro DAP? 

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #30 of 955
Top 3 sounds for me: HD800 and Cavalli Liquid Glass, Mr Speakers Ether and Aurelac, Audeze LCD3 and Hugo TT. HE-1000 was very nice, but when I played music I was more fond of it wasn't as good as when playing "reference recordings"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back