CanJam Singapore 2017 (March 11-12, 2017) Impressions thread!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #107 of 252
Assuming Mr Speakers used the same setup that he did at RMAF/CANJAM Denver, the change to the Holo Spring DAC was the game changer for the 009. Having heard his 009 setup a few times before on his blue hawaii, it always was in that rarefied exotic range of HPs but sounded thin and etheric and the master of the classical genre.  However, with the Spring DAC the music took flight and added texture and body like I haven't heard before. Think EDM with the 009. The 009 was just at a whole new level. 

Does that say that the Ether Electrostat was bad? No, but it is sitting next to the 009 being driven better than ever before. The 009 has that elegance and sound stage that is hard to match. The Ether was great, but a bit more narrow and not as detailed in direct comparison to the 009. I think there is a significant price difference as well.

Mm..based on quick impression (so ymmv), I can agree that the 009 is significantly ahead of the Mr. Speakers ES. It is hard to beat. The ES sounded a bit too distant to me and less engaging.

I asked the guy from Stax and the info regarding the upcoming Stax amp (I think @anakchan first revealed it) is it will be a hybrid type, but from his body language, his answer was not convincing. Timeline is still a year away ( if ever Stax will decide to go forward with a new estat amp).

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #108 of 252

My first stop was the HeadAmp booth, at which I enjoyed myself immensely. There was an excellent selection of tracks which allowed me to try different genres and classic audiophile type stuff. 
A Holo Spring DAC (Kitsune Tuned Edition) fed a BHSE and HeadAmp GS-X MK2. The BHSE fed the Staxes 007 and 009 as well as the Ether Stat, and the GS-X MK2 fed either the LCD4, HE1Kv2 or Utopia. My favourite 2 had to be the BHSE>009 which had the best transparency, detail and effortlessness in the reproduction of sound. The other was definitely the GS-X MK2 out to the HE1Kv2, which had excellent staging height and size, as well as solid bass slam and macrodynamics. I would listen to the 009 for jazz/classical/acoustic and the HE1Kv2 for rock and pop. Well, one can dream... This was definitely my favourite booth.

Headamp booth was my first and last stop over the two days. Fantastic set up by Peter for a straight forward ABCD (not just AB) comparison between GS-X MK2>Utopia/HEKv2 and the BHSE>009/MrSpeakers. It was a dream! All four cans were playing the same tune, same dac and on Sunday evening, the crowd was nearly gone and I had a blast! The Utopia and HEK both used the great Kimber Axios cables, so everything is top notch. The BHSE>009 and Mr Speakers were great too and I found them to be quite similar sounding. The difference between the 009 and Mr Speakers was not as great as that between Utopia and HEKv2. My favourite combo is still the GS-X>Utopia. The HEK v2 is not even anywhere close imho.

Caveat: I own the Utopia and HEKv1 and not impress with the v2. Across the aisle, at the Hifiman booth, again I found that the HEKv2 pales in comparison to the Ed6 in Hifiman AB setup. This is imho, no offence to Hifiman or v2 lovers. The impressions are perhaps unfair given the CamJam noise in the background and limited choice of tracks.

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #109 of 252
It's the day after CanJam SG 2017 and, I must say, it was an absolute blast! I wasn't bound by social anxiety or time constraints like I was last year, so every audition and conversation with fellow Head-Fi'ers as well as manufacturers, were both blissful and exciting. I decided to focus almost solely on IEMs this time around, as my interest in them has substantially grown, and I have adopted an incredibly portable lifestyle anyways. The following impressions are of products I found worthwhile (in good, bad, and... interesting... ways):

The Good:

1) CustomArt FIBAE 2

The F2 is probably my favourite new IEM from the show. It's price-to-performance ratio for a CIEM is (to me) unmatched, and the options you get with CustomArt's expertise in both the acrylic and silicone realms makes it a no-brainer for any IEM enthusiast's collection. It's an extremely intimate sound, and it has great dynamism, but it's somehow laidback as well. Although this may seem contradictory, this combination allows it to sound fun and engaging because it's so up-close and personal, yet the details are never aggressive or in-your-face. It's lively, impactful, and it can both serve as a toe-tapping trigger when listening to funk and deliciously smooth R&B, and lure you into a sweet, silky arrest when listening to jazz female vocalists or choirs. It's perfectly linear from bottom to top with a fun-and-musical-oriented signature (i.e. a slightly elevated bass response, smooth yet airy and open mids, and a sparkly, energetic, yet fatigue-free treble), and it's a great foil to CA's own Harmony 8.2 which is darker, bassier, but has better technical performance. The F2 is truly an all-rounder CIEM in that it fits every genre I threw at it, as well as on its (albeit rumoured) excitingly accessible price tag. An absolute banger from Piotr and CustomArt, it's very refreshing to be this hyped for a "budget" CIEM, and the FIBAE 2 is an instant purchase for me at release.

2) Lime Ears Prototype X

The LEPX was stationed right next to the FIBAE 2 and I'd be lying if I said it didn't blow my socks off just as much. It's no secret that the Lime Ears Aether is one of my absolute favourite IEMs, and the LEPX takes what I love about the Aether, and steps it up a notch (speaking of notches, it has two on each faceplate to control the treble and mid-bass/bass response individually). With the treble switch up, the LEPX shares a similar signature to the Aether, but with a sparklier and airier top end and a more open and engaging midrange, which are the two most-requested improvements of the Aether, as well as my only qualms about the IEM. The bass also sounded slightly retuned; while the Aether had more punch/slam than rumble, those proportions on the LEPX sounded more balanced, though I didn't have enough time to confirm. With both switches up, the mids are pushed even further forward and the bass is elevated, sort of like a Zeus-R-to-Zeus-XIV shift in tonality, boosting musicality, emotion, and engagement. With the treble switch down, however, the IEM suddenly sounded extremely dark and full. It wasn't veiled because the mids still retained its layering and clarity, but the missing air in the top end made it sound incredibly coloured. It ended up sounding extremely euphonic and rich, and though I know folks who would enjoy the signature (and I myself found it unique and definitely worth some play-time), many did not share the same consensus as they felt it lost quite a bit of technical performance. Nevertheless, if Emil offered me an upgrade to the LEPX from the Aether, I wouldn't hesitate in placing the order right away.

3) Dita Audio's The Dream

The Dream was an IEM that I was quite excited for. I very much enjoyed their Answer as well as both their Silver and Copper Truth cables. The Dream is a definite deviation from the Answer, where the Answer is more musical and smooth, while the Dream is a brighter, crisper, and more analytical IEM. I found the signature to be one of the most neutral I've ever heard in an IEM, with TOTL clarity, resolution, extension on both ends and imaging, even though it's not as natural-sounding as I would prefer it to be. Even though it's very much a reference piece, it still has some semblance of musicality in its slightly meatier midrange, as well as its gorgeous sub-bass rumble. Although the mid-bass is dry and lean (albeit detailed and layered) as the signature demands it to be, the sub-bass was wonderfully guttural, visceral, and made the low-end in rap and EDM tracks come to life. The Answer's focus is certainly on clarity and resolution over organic-ness or musicality, with fantastic technical performance to boot, and was most definitely one of the most impressive performers of the show.

4) Empire Ears Proto-H & Proto-X

At the show, Empire Ears made two of their prototypes available for demo. Although Empire has specifically requested for the specifications of said demo's to be kept private, I will share an excerpt of my impressions of both demos which I posted on the Empire Ears thread:

It [the Proto-H] sounded like an amalgamation of Empire's brighter and leaner side (Supra, Zeus-R) with their thicker and richer side (Athena, Cerberus), being one of the most balanced IEMs in their lineup and offering the best of both worlds. Echoing what you said, its mids are transparent yet smooth and rich, and the bass is simply world class with gorgeous rumble and slam. I too, however, believe the treble to be bordering on harsh, but I heard there was a red version of the prototype which had a different treble tuning on Saturday. Unfortunately, it suffered issues by the day's end and was not available for audition on Sunday.  
The Proto-X was a definite surprise for me at first sight, and at first listen as well. Like you said, it had an amazing soundstage that extended to all directions, yet I found the mids to be seductively intimate and rich. It had more meat to its bones, partly also due to its more toned down treble. I honestly enjoy the Zeus's treble tuning more, but this is simply due to personal preference. The bass was the most interesting aspect of the piece, where its bold mid-bass punch was married to a sub-bass rumble that I found peculiar. It somehow made me feel like my body was vibrating, akin to being in a concert environment with large subwoofers and the resonances passing through you. It absolutely made for a unique experience and it made me all the more curious as to what was inside it.

All in all, I found both prototypes to be fantastic stepping stones to brilliant products, both wonderful in their own way. 

5) Advanced AcousticWerkes W900

The W900 is also an IEM I've wanted to try for months, but never got a chance to. I found the W900 to be an impressive piece, with an extremely wide soundstage, and a uniquely musical yet supremely detailed signature. The bass is the highlight of the IEM, powered by AAW's proprietary 9mm dynamic driver. It combines the beautiful sub-bass of the Dita Dream with a wetter, more dynamic, and natural mid-bass, but doesn't lose out in terms of resolution, layering, and extension. It's a showcase of AAW's abilities and I found it worthy of the praise it's been receiving throughout the community. The mids were equally impressive, especially in its rendering of vocals and acoustic instruments. It has a spectacular balance of wetness and air, transparency and musicality, and its rendition of live music is among the most realistic I've ever heard from an IEM. The treble is where I struggle with the W900, where it's impressively detailed, clear, sparkly, and smooth, but feels slightly unnatural. I can't exactly pinpoint why, but it just sounds slightly "off" to me. It seems like it prioritised clarity and resolution over realism and made compromises in the process. However, the tuning filters AAW provides with the production unit may help rectify that. Nevertheless, the W900 is a flagship-worthy IEM, and one I would consider if it only had a better price-to-performance ratio.

6) Soranik/K2Craft Collaboration Prototype

I only had a brief audition of the Soranik prototype, but I was impressed by its linear, clear, and almost-reference signature. The prototype retains the signature Soranik treble which I've loved from their ION and SK4 (airy, crisp, textured, incredibly detailed, yet smooth), and pairs it with an open, but more musical, midrange than Soranik's previous pieces, as well as a flatter bass response. It's reminiscent of the ION, except it doesn't have the same amount of sub-bass rumble. Though, Hieu from Soranik informed me that the bass response will improve once it's placed in it's silver shell, as it uses the metal as a bass chamber, and is thus reliant on its vibrational and acoustic properties. I am a fan of both Soranik's house sound as well as K2Craft's gorgeous metal work, and for anyone looking for an alternative to the FitEar Titan, you now have your gateway to all-metal CIEMs. If only I'd remembered to take a picture...

7) 64Audio tia Fourte

My audition of the tia Fourte was similarly short, and I came away quite taken by its sound signature as well as its technical abilities. Its presentation is extremely large, looming, and three-dimensional. It's not a headphone sound or a speaker sound, but it is definitely within reach. It has a significantly elevated bass response with great punch and spectacular width and depth, a meaty and thick midrange, and a sparkly, energetic treble that never offends. It is definitely a unique listening experience, though I'm still uncertain if it is worth its price, as its sound signature is not as unique as its presentation. Nevertheless, if you have the dough and you enjoy the big sound the tia Fourte can give, there is currently no other IEM alternative on the market.

The Meh:

1) 64Audio U18tzar

I was quite underwhelmed by the U18tzar, given how impressed I was when I force-fit someone's custom A18tzar, and especially at its given price point. Though I found the mids and the bass to be well-textured, transparent, and detailed, I was disappointed by how dull and uninteresting everything sounded. The upper mids and the treble were a weak point of the U18tzar, which is odd considering the tia driver is one of its USPs, and even odder considering it's the same driver as the one in the Fourte and how much I enjoyed the latter's treble (yes, I know it's probably differently tuned, but still...). The demo unit was initially presented to me with foam tips on it, which I was rightfully apprehensive about, making the IEM sound horribly veiled and incoherent. The issue was quickly and drastically solved by replacing them with SpinFits, but I still couldn't find the sound appealing for the money it's demanding. Though the soundstage and imaging was also pretty impressive, I felt flagship IEMs like the Empire Ears Zeus can compete with it with no issue, and the painfully boring presentation was simply not worth it. I honestly couldn't bring myself to get excited over its technical accomplishments because the overall sound was just sterile and lifeless. And, it's not because it's leaning towards neutral or reference at all; even the most analytical IEM I tried at the show, the Dita Dream, still had more musicality and enjoyability over the U18tzar. At the end of the day, the U18tzar is an okay IEM in my book, but it's nowhere near as good as what its price suggests.

2) VisionEars VE8

The VE8 was probably the strangest-sounding IEM I tried at the show. VisionEars is known for its tendency to go out-of-the-box when it comes to their sound signatures (the VE5's ultra vocal-focus is an example), and they've certainly done so with their latest flasgship. The VE8 is a piece where I hear great technical ability: soundstage, imaging, resolution, dynamics, and that's to be expected for a TOTL model. However, the VE8 is tuned to sound warm and dark at the same time. While the FIBAE 2's tuning and technical abilities are stark contrasts but compliment each other beautifully, the VE8 sounds like it was designed with two different philosophies in mind that were forcefully melded into one. Its overall performance suggests it's striving for reference-grade detail retrieval and transparency, yet its frequency response prioritises naturalness over clarity. It's a polarising IEM to me and I'm sure there's an audience for this type of signature (though I don't know how many of them are willing to pay a TOTL price).

Etc.:

1) JH Audio Signature Series Artwork:

They're even more gorgeous in real life.

End Words:

As I said in my intro, CanJam SG was pure joy. Meeting both old and new fellow Head-Fi'ers and sharing impressions, as well as getting to meet the various manufacturers who drive this industry forward, was nothing short of incredible (@Jack Vang's infectious laugh and repeatedly complimenting @piotrus-g on his FIBAE 2 and watching him come up with different ways to say "Thank you" and smile were definite highlights). I'd like to personally thank @third_eye and @jude for hosting such an incredible event so close to home, and I look forward to whatever is in store next year!

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #110 of 252
Mm..lol! Did not like the tuning of the Limeears prototype. Something was off. Much better is the Aether (been around since 2015 I think). Great for days when you just want to rock/enjoy energetic music. The Tzar 18 driver was not to my liking. The Fourte, to my ears, sounded better. 4 driver vs. 18 drivers. The 4 wins.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #111 of 252
Mm..lol! Did not like the tuning of the Limeears prototype. Something was off. Much better is the Aether (been around since 2015 I think). Great for days when you just want to rock/enjoy energetic music.

Interesting... I love the Aether, but I prefer the prototype with the treble switch, up. What tuning did you try the LEPX in?

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #112 of 252
Mm...can't remember. But what was off putting was the sensation to listening inside a chamber. The Aether sounded more open. But since it is still a prototype, I am keeping an open mind, specially since Limeears is known for value for money iems. I wanted to order the Aether on the spot but when I heard the Asen 8 driver (not part of the show), I changed my mind. They are both 8 drivers.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #113 of 252
frown.gif
 feel disappointed, didn't prepare ahead to go this year...expecting next year!

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #114 of 252
Anyone knows any way to get more of the ear tips that final audio was giving out? I feel that they are one of my favourite ear tips now :joy:, if u guys have some spares please hit me up. (sizes m,s and ss pls) thx guys

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #115 of 252
Mm...can't remember. But what was off putting was the sensation to listening inside a chamber. The Aether sounded more open. But since it is still a prototype, I am keeping an open mind, specially since Limeears is known for value for money iems. I wanted to order the Aether on the spot but when I heard the Asen 8 driver (not part of the show), I changed my mind. They are both 8 drivers.

That's quite strange; as I experienced the exact opposite. Well, I guess it's a matter of either preference or tips altering the sound sig. In any case, glad to see you're happy with your Asen order, though I must correct you; the Aether is a 5-driver IEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back