CanJam@RMAF 2011 Listening Impressions Thread
Oct 19, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #466 of 678
I heard the Liquid Fire with the Rev 1 and can't say I felt particularly impressed. I should definitely try it again, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to. 

I want to get into tubes so bad but the added cost and need for me to tweak (ie. fascination with Phonitor) I'd end up spending way too much money on tubes. 

It's rough when there's so many options. 

Quote:
Quote:

The K701 would probably do well at representing neutral, though I didn't test a pair with the Phonitor.  Will probably need something that measures well for D/A conversion, maybe a Lavry DA11 or something.

I personally thought the LCD-2 didn't sound too hot with the Dark Star.  The amp seems to have basically been designed for the HE-6 (the sound is unreal).  I'd look at the Cavalli Liquid Fire.  That sounds awesome with both the LCD-2 and the LCD-3, so if you're looking to upgrade to a pair of LCD-3 in the long-run, it's a futureproof buy.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #467 of 678

Quote:
I heard the Liquid Fire with the Rev 1 and can't say I felt particularly impressed. I should definitely try it again, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to. 

I want to get into tubes so bad but the added cost and need for me to tweak (ie. fascination with Phonitor) I'd end up spending way too much money on tubes. 

you are in Austin..drop Alex cavalli an email..am sure he'll be able to hook you up with an audition :)

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #469 of 678

Tubes are not always the answer. You have to try any amp you come across and ignore if it is tubed or solid state. Judge it by the sound first.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #470 of 678
I don't have the luxury of auditioning much of anything before I buy it. Most of my purchases in this hobby have been completely blind. I've been trying to reach out to more local head-fiers for quite some time but they just don't seem to be around (ie. Austin). Most of the people that came to the Austin meet weren't from here and it's a bit of a trek just to have a one on one with someone else's gear. 

I'll hopefully get to try some Cavalli products again soon. I'm really interested to hear the Liquid Lightning with an 007, and the Liquid Fire with my LCD 2.

Quote:
Quote:

Tubes are not always the answer. You have to try any amp you come across and ignore if it is tubed or solid state. Judge it by the sound first.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #471 of 678

Quote:
I don't have the luxury of auditioning much of anything before I buy it. Most of my purchases in this hobby have been completely blind. I've been trying to reach out to more local head-fiers for quite some time but they just don't seem to be around (ie. Austin). Most of the people that came to the Austin meet weren't from here and it's a bit of a trek just to have a one on one with someone else's gear. 

I'll hopefully get to try some Cavalli products again soon. I'm really interested to hear the Liquid Lightning with an 007, and the Liquid Fire with my LCD 2. 

aye..try it again..if it doesn't work out for you it doesn't. No one amp or one headphone fits all in this business. Maybe the Balancing Act might pique your interest more.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #472 of 678
I've always been curious about EC stuff. I just need to slow down a little, but that's so hard for me to do. Not sure why I can't just be happy with something and not think about upgrading for at least a few months. 

We'll see how it all works out. I'll have fun whatever way I go though I'm sure.

Quote:
aye..try it again..if it doesn't work out for you it doesn't. No one amp or one headphone fits all in this business. Maybe the Balancing Act might pique your interest more.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #474 of 678
Got back from Denver late last night. I am not one to post much, but thought I would share my views on the show and the gear I got to see and hear. First and foremost, I went to Denver to learn more about computer audio, and to search out the best approach for improving my front end. I am late to the game here, as this is the weakest part of my system. I attended an excellent two hour seminar called "The Future of High-Resolution Computer Based Audio". This led me to some amazing people doing amazing things. Check out pugetsoundstudios.com, playbackdesigns.com, and mytekdigital.com. Bruce Brown of Puget Sound and Cookie Marceno of Blue Coast Records are making amazing recordings, while Mytek and Playback Designs are producing wonderful DSD DACs that can decode the downloads with great detail. After three days of intense listening, I was really able to appreciate just how important the source material and the ability to decode it made one room stand out over another.

Now, on to CanJam. Spent some time listening and conversing with Dan at the Bottlehead table. For a small financial commitment, you can get a nice DIY tube amp that sounds great. Dan does produce his own re-master tapes and had an amazing tape deck as his source, and I am sure this had a big positive effect on the sound being produced (all the best rigs I heard at the show had reel-to-reel as the source). Still, I came away impressed by how these inexpensive amps performed, and I was certainly not the only one.

The Woo Table: Jack and family in my humble opinion make some of the best and sexiest gear to be had. I can sit at their table for hours, and probably did just that. They had some interesting new gear on display that has been covered quite thoroughly here already. That being said, I do think their new mono blocks are over-kill. At ten grand for the pair, there is simply to many great amps that are equal to, or better for one third the money or less. That will lead me to RSA.

RSA Table: Spent a lot of time at Ray's table. I bought an Apache in June of this year and am thus, quite familiar with his sound signature. I can also tell everybody that it really is special to attend an event where the creators of the gear we all love are together in one  room, and you can just sit there and pick their brains. And this is exactly what I did. Ray is an amazing guy (so into it), and everyone can see by all the photos just how much amazing gear was packed at that table. All this led to a real eye opener for me. I have never liked my listening experiences with the HE-6 Headphones. I have always found their sound signature too bright. That all changed while listening to them through Ray's new Darkstar amp. It will be hard to find a better combination out there. Beautiful massive sound stage with lots of depth and incredible bottom end. The extreme highs I found irritating were now tamed. Everything just sounded right to my ears. Ray explained how and why he designed the amp, and why the phones would never sound great on my Apache. The HE-6 needs massive amounts of power to make them reach their full potential, but there is obviously a lot more involved than just a lot power, and I guess that's what makes Ray such an amazing designer. This is a good lead in to the Cavalli Liquid Fire. An equally great amp with the HE-6, I had the same listening experience as with Darkstar. Both these amps have the power and synergy to make these phones shine at there absolute best. All though I thought the Darkstar sounded better, Ray's table had a huge advantage based on his front-end gear. In closing, anyone who owns or is considering owning one of these amps should considering adding a pair of HE-6s to their headphone collection.

The Audeze Table: Spent a lot of time with Alex. Actually, we sat around till 7:30 Saturday night listening and talking long after the Fest had closed for the day. I've read a lot of the complaints here about the release of the new phones, along with their huge price increase. I also was not too thrilled myself. I busted Alex's chops quite a bit on this, and I can tell you he is not one to take a lot of crap. He doesn't have to. His short answer was "nobody is putting a gun to your head to buy them." To that, I had no reply. I did have plenty of time to pick his brains on the changes and upgrades that have been made, and their overall effect on both the sound and large cost increase. I also had breakfast Sunday morning with his head engineer/designer and peppered him as well with the same questions. All I can say is that I have a pair on order, and that should explain what I think about the way they sounded and how I feel about Alex's explanation. I hope to have them in time for the Westchester meet next month. They will mate well with the Apache.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #475 of 678

Quote:
I went to a lot of the audio rooms and priced a lot of stuff. One of my favorite systems would cost 400K. Nordost had a power cable that sells for 13K, and somewhere there was some speaker cables that are 30K. $1945 for LCD3's sounds like a huge bargain in comparison.

Did you just say a $2K LCD3 sounds like a bargain compared to a $13K power cable?  Interesting perspective.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #476 of 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did have plenty of time to pick his brains on the changes and upgrades that have been made, and their overall effect on both the sound and large cost increase. I also had breakfast Sunday morning with his head engineer/designer and peppered him as well with the same questions.

Time to spill the beans Mister.

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #479 of 678

I too would choose the Cavilli Liquid Fire with LCD2's. The Dark Star sounded way to dark on the LCD2's at the show.
Quote:
Quote:
The K701 would probably do well at representing neutral, though I didn't test a pair with the Phonitor.  Will probably need something that measures well for D/A conversion, maybe a Lavry DA11 or something.

I personally thought the LCD-2 didn't sound too hot with the Dark Star.  The amp seems to have basically been designed for the HE-6 (the sound is unreal).  I'd look at the Cavalli Liquid Fire.  That sounds awesome with both the LCD-2 and the LCD-3, so if you're looking to upgrade to a pair of LCD-3 in the long-run, it's a futureproof buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back