CanJam@RMAF 2011 Listening Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #456 of 678
Oh my, looks like you pretty much got pictures of everything. Thank you!

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #457 of 678
Thank you for your kind words, gentlemen (and ladies, if they are indeed present).

I did miss some stuff in the CanJam room, unfortunately.  I covered maybe 85%, but I didn't snap any pictures of HRT, VModa, Ultimate Ears, Westone, Unique Melody and Beyerdynamic.  I didn't even get a chance to visit Westone and Unique Melody.  I'll have to make it a point to see them next time.

I'll get the RMAF pictures up in a bit.  I believe a few people had asked for Stello, Eximus, Mytek, Wyred 4 Sound and some other specific rooms.  I should have pictures of some/most of those, so they'll be posted shortly.

If you were at the show and you're wondering who I am:  There were pretty much only two brown people at the show.  Shankar of Audez'e was one.  I was the other.

I'll post up some basic impressions tomorrow.  I don't intend to beat it to death, as I'm not an experienced reviewer.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #459 of 678
~90 more random shots taken throughout RMAF (no captions)

And that's all she wrote.  Will post brief impressions shortly.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #460 of 678
I posted the first set of RMAF pictures, including some of the request I ran across over the course of reading the thread.  (Link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/575847/canjam-rmaf-2011-listening-impressions-thread/435#post_7831881)

MorbidToaster: The Phonitor has a lot of versatility for headphone-based sound mixing, as per Marty, the North American representative for SPL.  I agree with him that it would likely be excellent for this use.  It sounded flat out amazing with the HD 800.  Massive soundstage, great clarity and separation.  Excellent synergy between these two.  It was surprisingly able to drive the HE-6 to a reasonable volume, though it was a bit thin-sounding.  It looks great and is solidly-built.  It's spendy though, and not something I'd blind-buy, so definitely try to hear it for yourself at some point.  What headphones do you want to use the Phonitor with?

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #462 of 678
LCD 2. THough I'm starting to feel this is not ideal. It may sit on the back burner for awhile until I can pair it with something super revealing for actual studio use. Maybe the Phonitor and a K701. Something that will rip every bad recording apart. 

Right now I think I'll be leaning towards something more musical for my LCD 2s. Solid State most likely...DarkStar? Maybe...

Quote:
I posted the first set of RMAF pictures, including some of the request I ran across over the course of reading the thread.  (Link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/575847/canjam-rmaf-2011-listening-impressions-thread/435#post_7831881)

MorbidToaster: The Phonitor has a lot of versatility for headphone-based sound mixing, as per Marty, the North American representative for SPL.  I agree with him that it would likely be excellent for this use.  It sounded flat out amazing with the HD 800.  Massive soundstage, great clarity and separation.  Excellent synergy between these two.  It was surprisingly able to drive the HE-6 to a reasonable volume, though it was a bit thin-sounding.  It looks great and is solidly-built.  It's spendy though, and not something I'd blind-buy, so definitely try to hear it for yourself at some point.  What headphones do you want to use the Phonitor with?

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #463 of 678
(Editing isn't working for me tonight)

Or I might just trash the entire rig and go for 007mk2. Who knows. I've got awhile to decide and enjoy the LCD 2.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #464 of 678
Quote:
LCD 2. THough I'm starting to feel this is not ideal. It may sit on the back burner for awhile until I can pair it with something super revealing for actual studio use. Maybe the Phonitor and a K701. Something that will rip every bad recording apart. 

Right now I think I'll be leaning towards something more musical for my LCD 2s. Solid State most likely...DarkStar? Maybe... 

The K701 would probably do well at representing neutral, though I didn't test a pair with the Phonitor.  Will probably need something that measures well for D/A conversion, maybe a Lavry DA11 or something.

I personally thought the LCD-2 didn't sound too hot with the Dark Star.  The amp seems to have basically been designed for the HE-6 (the sound is unreal).  I'd look at the Cavalli Liquid Fire.  That sounds awesome with both the LCD-2 and the LCD-3, so if you're looking to upgrade to a pair of LCD-3 in the long-run, it's a futureproof buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back