CanJam NYC 2022 Impressions Thread (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #436 of 489

Mar 8, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #437 of 489
I call BS. It doesn't make sense that fidelity would "drop" from EQing.
The signal is being processed, so fidelity drops. I hear it clear as day, everytime.

Mar 8, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #438 of 489
I call BS. It doesn't make sense that fidelity would "drop" from EQing.
Respectfully, this discussion is OT here.

Mar 8, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #440 of 489
Has the idea of portable isolation booths ever been discussed?

Like something you could walk into, plug in headphones, and demo with much reduced background noise?
I helped out Sennheiser when they BUILT a booth for the Munich High End show. They had a soundproofed (and mercifully air conditioned) booth to demo the HE-1, and a more general “open air” area for listening to the HD 800S, HD 660S, IE 800S, etc (their Audiophile range at the time). I won’t mention names, but another company built a room for demoing their flagship headphone which was NOT air conditioned, and I found that stifling heat far more uncomfortable and distracting than the hubbub of trade show background noise. At another trade show I went to for Dekoni, “NAMM,” I brought musician’s earplugs and I WISH we had soundproofing, because our booth was right next to another company that was selling electric guitars and bass, who routinely had paid a musician to come “demo” their products several times a day at around 102-108 dB (as loud as being next to an ambulance siren… talk about hearing safety concerns).

The thing is, trade shows are already massively expensive for companies… they’re already spending like $200-$500 for each person that comes up to demo stuff at their booth, in the hopes that they will leave an impression and create word of mouth. Buying/building/shipping a soundproof booth is a significant additional expense, the isolation is negated the instant someone wants to ask a question, and they usually block the vicarious pleasure of seeing someone else being excited about what they’re listening to or talking about.

At the end of the day, people are demoing headphones, not loudspeakers. Sure, some people are definitely listening to headphones loud enough to permanently damage their hearing (sadly), but mostly the ambient volume is between conversational (55-65dB) and very loud voice (75-85dB, which decreases the further away you are from the speaker), and almost never that loud right next to people demoing the headphones. A lot of exhibitors get into the rythmn of answering questions from everyone in front of them, then two people (per table) demo and listen to the headphones while everyone else stops talking and waits, then the cycle repeats. It’s not as loud as some people suggest… I wouldn’t be surprised to find out an airplane cabin is louder (especially during takeoff).

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #441 of 489
The thing is, trade shows are already massively expensive for companies… they’re already spending like $200-$500 for each person that comes up to demo stuff at their booth, in the hopes that they will leave an impression and create word of mouth. Buying/building/shipping a soundproof booth is a significant additional expense, the isolation is negated the instant someone wants to ask a question, and they usually block the vicarious pleasure of seeing someone else being excited about what they’re listening to or talking about.
Excellent points. I was thinking like 10 booths would be placed throughout the expo. Then each person would be timed at 5 minutes so they could at least listen to one song (maybe not Freebird) so they could leave with a more accurate impression. I couldn't imagine every exhibitor having their own booth. But it's just a thought. I always feel like I get a better sense for headphones in the side rooms, where it's much quieter.

Mar 8, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #442 of 489
Totally subjective, but I completely agree with you. If they move the 4 to that design without significantly affecting the tuning, I think that's an endgame.
+1

Mar 8, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #443 of 489
While on the topic of show specials... Can someone remind me how the $30 off special by Linsoul works/ed? And do you know if it has expired? (The item I want hasn't been in stock anyway)
Thanks for the reminder. Used it just now, it seems to be fairly liberal. I used it on a few sets of tips and it worked.

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #444 of 489
Thanks for the reminder. Used it just now, it seems to be fairly liberal. I used it on a few sets of tips and it worked.
Ya. Myself, I bought the E1DA Cosmos I was eager to buy. Really looking forward to test all of my hifi|head amps & dac-amps that haven't been professionally tested by others.

Mar 9, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #445 of 489
Excellent points. I was thinking like 10 booths would be placed throughout the expo. Then each person would be timed at 5 minutes so they could at least listen to one song (maybe not Freebird) so they could leave with a more accurate impression. I couldn't imagine every exhibitor having their own booth. But it's just a thought. I always feel like I get a better sense for headphones in the side rooms, where it's much quieter.
Would be awesome if a sound booth/isolation vendor joined the show, though I imagine most headphone users don’t also need to buy sound proofing materials. If they ever did come, I would certainly like to talk to them about deadening the reflections in my home studio! You can hear how small my room is 😂

And I do have to say, an isolation booth would be an incredible thing to see at the show. One year when I attended CanJam NYC, I went to a Sennheiser pop-up store before I started working with them. The store had installed a sloping, narrowing hallway from the front door, with a fuzzy surface material and who knows what inside the walls, but anyway the effect was that as you walked inside this boxy-horn hallway all the street noise would die and everything became as hushed as a windless snowstorm, then you stepped out into the main store with all their headphones and mics and it was like your hearing came back! I’d share a picture if you don’t mind the fact that my friend and I were being goofy 😄

Mar 9, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #446 of 489
From darko.audio... Community spirit: CANJAM NYC 2022

I have to say, all of these video recaps are giving me the feels - makes me wish the show didn't go by so fast. :cry:

Mar 9, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #447 of 489
One year when I attended CanJam NYC, I went to a Sennheiser pop-up store before I started working with them. The store had installed a sloping, narrowing hallway from the front door, with a fuzzy surface material and who knows what inside the walls, but anyway the effect was that as you walked inside this boxy-horn hallway all the street noise would die and everything became as hushed as a windless snowstorm, then you stepped out into the main store with all their headphones and mics and it was like your hearing came back! I’d share a picture if you don’t mind the fact that my friend and I were being goofy 😄

I remember that pop-up! Wish they made it a permanent location.

IMG_20161029_155157.jpg

IMG_20170125_125036.jpg

Mar 9, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #448 of 489
What's the model/name of the first headphone aside the Liric?

Mar 9, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #449 of 489
What's the model/name of the first headphone aside the Liric?
Are you referring to the video above? Or are you referring to the Meze 109 Pro on the cover image?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #450 of 489
Are you referring to the video above? Or are you referring to the Meze 109 Pro on the cover image?
Thanks, quick Google search shows it's the Meze 109. According to reddit page it should be out in 6 months? It sure looks very nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back