CanJam at RMAF 2014 impressions
Oct 13, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #76 of 441
So what's up with the Caylx M being a no show at CANJAM? Not even a headfier's personal unit to look at. Did anyone else see one that I missed?

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #77 of 441
Anyone tried the Alpha Dog Prime or the Woo Audio WA8 yet? Fingers crossed I can upgrade to the Prime as opposed to having to buy it new!

Prime was better than the standard. Seamless transitions between frequency bands. I'd still like more treble, but I'll let Dan have a breather for now. :wink:

Listened to the WA8 prototype with HD800s. Drove them well, but I'm concerned about the weight in an aluminum chassis. While somewhat compact, it still weighed almost as much as a full 2 liter bottle. At that weight, even "transportable" starts to be incorrect. I sure wouldn't want a WA8 in my suitcase going from airport to airport smashing anything that might be in the suitcase with it.

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #78 of 441
Morning, Asr,  
We were very surprised to hear that you didn't think highly of our Pendulumic STANCE S1.
You are the only person that tried them that had a negative experience, from everyone that has come by our booth for the last two days. Our new sound profile, along with other enhancements we incorporated into our S1+,  were made after talking with very respected editors from major headphone websites and blogs, along with input from our own experienced designers and sound engineers.

While individuals are certainly entitled to their own opinions and personal preferences, I am trying to think of what could have happened to cause you to trash us so publicly. I know that we don't compare to an Audeze LCD3 or something like that (but we are not trying to),but the only thing I can think of is that you were listening to a very compressed track, rather than a WAV of FLAC file.

If you are still in Denver, I sincerely invite you to come by our booth, and give us another listen. I'll personally make sure your source files are fat, and that you get to hear the full dynamic range and sound profile of our product.

We would sincerely take your input into consideration, so we hope you stop by today, and introduce yourself.

All the best,
Mike Johnson
VP Sales Pendulumic

Sorry, I didn't have time to stop by the show again for Sunday. I was just writing what I honestly thought, I've never shied away from posting my honest opinions on Head-Fi in all the years that I've been posting on here. Just so that everyone reading is aware (particularly for the people who aren't already, as I know that not everyone is familiar with my review history here on Head-Fi), I'll add that I have very unique biases & perceptions that are rarely shared by anyone else on Head-Fi. There's a lot of audio equipment that I've posted negative (or semi-negative) opinions of in the past that many other people have liked, so no one should be using my opinion alone to influence a buying decision. I'm just one person who didn't think highly of the headphones, and I'm clearly the odd one out here, so my opinion likely doesn't mean much given the others who've posted much more positive opinions.

It's certainly possible that there may have been some sort of unknown issue when I auditioned the headphones, and I'd be open to trying the headphones again someday to see if my opinion changes with my own gear at home.

I wasn't expecting to get a response from Pendulumic with my post, but since I clearly got your attention, that actually makes me wonder why. It's not like I was "trashing" the company or its customer service or anything like that, only the product which has a subjective-perception component to it. It's not the first headphone that I've publicly "trashed," and it won't be the last, and I'm sure I won't be the only person to have a negative opinion either as time goes on. Virtually every headphone on Head-Fi gets harsh criticism by someone at some point....

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #79 of 441
Prime was better than the standard. Seamless transitions between frequency bands. I'd still like more treble, but I'll let Dan have a breather for now.
wink.gif

Listened to the WA8 prototype with HD800s. Drove them well, but I'm concerned about the weight in an aluminum chassis. While somewhat compact, it still weighed almost as much as a full 2 liter bottle. At that weight, even "transportable" starts to be incorrect. I sure wouldn't want a WA8 in my suitcase going from airport to airport smashing anything that might be in the suitcase with it.

Re the Prime. That's good to hear! How is the bass? I find the bass to be a bit light compared to the LCD 2's, but interestingly when I settle down for an extended listen, I dont mind the lesser bass impact.

Haha, that is definitely not "portable"...definitely need some sturdy casing to be lugging that aruond then. Bit disappointing to hear.

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #80 of 441
I wasn't expecting to get a response from Pendulumic with my post, but since I clearly got your attention, that actually makes me wonder why. It's not like I was "trashing" the company or its customer service or anything like that, only the product which has a subjective-perception component to it. It's not the first headphone that I've publicly "trashed," and it won't be the last, and I'm sure I won't be the only person to have a negative opinion either as time goes on. Virtually every headphone on Head-Fi gets harsh criticism by someone at some point....

How could you not when you called their product a "scam"? I also heard through the grapevine that your audition was shorter than brief. Interesting how you could hear so much in those few seconds. There were certainly things there I thought were awful, but I'm not going around slamming products and calling their manufacturers scam artists. My awful could be someone else's perfect. Even if it truly is awful for everyone, the company will get that feedback (hopefully in a constructive manner, unlike yours) and grow from the experience.

Some of the vendors, Concert Fidelity, in particular, were there more for feedback on their designs than to advertise. If your answer is such as before, perhaps they will stop asking us for our input.

Re the Prime. That's good to hear! How is the bass? I find the bass to be a bit light compared to the LCD 2's, but interestingly when I settle down for an extended listen, I dont mind the lesser bass impact.

Similar to the AD. It is mostly a tuning change, the product of months of tweaking.

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #81 of 441
I wonder how much of that Geek Wave money is even being used on the Geek Wave at this point. They seem to be more interested in working on other products, like the Keep. In fact, the Geek Wave seems to be their last priority - they had a working prototype earlier this year and now they only have the DAC stage, which strikes me as a big step back rather than progress. To quote the wisdom of Ron Swanson, "Don't half-ass two things - whole-ass one thing." SMH....

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #82 of 441
How could you not when you called their product a "scam"? I also heard through the grapevine that your audition was shorter than brief. Interesting how you could hear so much in those few seconds. There were certainly things there I thought were awful, but I'm not going around slamming products and calling their manufacturers scam artists. My awful could be someone else's perfect. Even if it truly is awful for everyone, the company will get that feedback (hopefully in a constructive manner, unlike yours) and grow from the experience.

"How can this scam be sold for $200?!" was meant as partially tongue-in-cheek, not totally seriously. Hard to convey something like that over the Internet, if not impossible. I was reminded of a quote someone else said back when I wrote my HE-400 review and just wanted to use that expression ("how can this scam be sold for $x"). I didn't really mean to call Pendulumic scam artists, just that the headphones sounded that bad to me.

And lest anyone get inaccurate info, including you, I spent enough time at Pendulumic's table to go through all of the artists on their DAP twice (while listening to something else) in order to find music that I was familiar with, then I actually found a track that I was very familiar with, and I listened for a few minutes. Not a few seconds as you claim. There were a couple of other vendors that I did spend very little time at, but Pendulumic wasn't one of them. They were one of the first vendors that I stopped at on Friday where I fully intended on getting a good listening session at.

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #83 of 441

"How can this scam be sold for $200?!" was meant as partially tongue-in-cheek, not totally seriously. Hard to convey something like that over the Internet, if not impossible. I was reminded of a quote someone else said back when I wrote my HE-400 review and just wanted to use that expression ("how can this scam be sold for $x"). I didn't really mean to call Pendulumic scam artists, just that the headphones sounded that bad to me.

And lest anyone get inaccurate info, including you, I spent enough time at Pendulumic's table to go through all of the artists on their DAP twice (while listening to something else) in order to find music that I was familiar with, then I actually found a track that I was very familiar with, and I listened for a few minutes. Not a few seconds as you claim. There were a couple of other vendors that I did spend very little time at, but Pendulumic wasn't one of them. They were one of the first vendors that I stopped at on Friday where I fully intended on getting a good listening session at.

Asr,

My .02 cents, when writing public reviews, especially in a forum as widely read as this one, is a tremendous responsibility. A Writer need's to be cognitive of everything they ink, being aware of the impact they can have on the livelihood and success/failure of a small companies. For you to have written, in a "tongue and cheek" manner about a company or brand being "scam artists", really was quite irresponsible. I completely understand the VP of Sales responding as he did, making a powerful statement like that, without supporting and corroborating evidence borders on libel. A careless commit such as this can destroy a companies reputation, even if it was an unintended consequence of using a phrase that you had "in the can". A good editor, who understands the potential negative consequences of your statement, would removed it and requested a re-write. Nobody would want you to be anything less than honest, but there are a million ways you could have conveyed your opinions in non-libeled manner. Again just my opinion, but you should really weigh the consequences of anything you are going to write in a high traffic public forum, such as Head Fi, "the Golden Rule" is a good place too start. Peace. 

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #85 of 441

Asr,

My .02 cents, when writing public reviews, especially in a forum as widely read as this one, is a tremendous responsibility. A Writer need's to be cognitive of everything they ink, being aware of the impact they can have on the livelihood and success/failure of a small companies. For you to have written, in a "tongue and cheek" manner about a company or brand being "scam artists", really was quite irresponsible. I completely understand the VP of Sales responding as he did, making a powerful statement like that, without supporting and corroborating evidence borders on libel. A careless commit such as this can destroy a companies reputation, even if it was an unintended consequence of using a phrase that you had "in the can". A good editor, who understands the potential negative consequences of your statement, would removed it and requested a re-write. Nobody would want you to be anything less than honest, but there are a million ways you could have conveyed your opinions in non-libeled manner. Again just my opinion, but you should really weigh the consequences of anything you are going to write in a high traffic public forum, such as Head Fi, "the Golden Rule" is a good place too start. Peace. 

Well said my friend.....and that goes for a lot of us out here, myself included.  Can't always say what we are thinking, even though intentions aren't meant to be hurtful!

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #86 of 441

Well said my friend.....and that goes for a lot of us out here, myself included.  Can't always say what we are thinking, even though intentions aren't meant to be hurtful!

Thank you Cute, I am guilty as well, I can be "a dog on a bone" at times, had a little dust up the weekend prior to this one and it was entirely my fault, I didn't drop the discussion and drove with my linebacker mentality far beyond were I should have.

I hope you are doing well!

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #87 of 441
Pleased to see Lambert Audio back in play. Gary Lambert made his reputation in New Zealand with highly innovative and good performing speakers. Though I owned B & W 801M speakers at the time, I fully intended to purchase a pair of Lamberts especially having had the pleasure of hearing him speak to our audio group. At least one of our members paired Lamberts with Audio Research tube gear IIRC. My intention was to pair them with home-grown Plinius amplification!

Effusion, were speakers part of Lambert Audio's line-up? TIA...

Edit: Oops, now I look more closely I see the speakers pictured are Lambert-badged. Small compared to previous models I saw and heard...

Oct 13, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #88 of 441
Quote:

Quote:
Similar to the AD. It is mostly a tuning change, the product of months of tweaking.

Well that's a bit disappointing. I was looking forward to the Prime and some reports had said bass impact and extension was improved. If it has similar bass to the Alpha Dogs then I might have to look elsewhere. I was a big fan of the Mad Dogs but I thought the ADs were bass light. 

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #89 of 441
Hello

I went to all three days of the 2014 CanJam and really enjoyed it. But I am wondering if there is any way of us influencing the vendors into more often being set up to let us use our own source material to have their equipment demonstrated to us? It seems to me very difficult to judge equipment you are listening to if you do not exactly know what the track sounds like on your present equipment.

I brought my own Sennheiser HD 600 headphones to CanJam and found that to my 63-year-old ears they were close to as good as you can get listening to ortho dynamics headphones did not improve things much for me. But high-end amplifiers did have a great effect.

I also would've liked to seen more alternative medium priced and low-priced headphone amplifiers displayed by the vendors. Some of the vendors have them in their line, but but don't  want to show them at CanJam. Perhaps all I am asking for is not in the interest of Head-HI interest as far as making maximum money as a business. But it would certainly be in our interest as consumers if we can influence future CanJams to make it possible for us to use our own source material and show more low and medium priced offerings.

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #90 of 441
  Hello

I went to all three days of the 2014 CanJam and really enjoyed it. But I am wondering if there is any way of us influencing the vendors into more often being set up to let us use our own source material to have their equipment demonstrated to us? It seems to me very difficult to judge equipment you are listening to if you do not exactly know what the track sounds like on your present equipment.

I brought my own Sennheiser HD 600 headphones to CanJam and found that to my 63-year-old ears they were close to as good as you can get listening to ortho dynamics headphones did not improve things much for me. But high-end amplifiers did have a great effect.

I also would've liked to seen more alternative medium priced and low-priced headphone amplifiers displayed by the vendors. Some of the vendors have them in their line, but but don't  want to show them at CanJam. Perhaps all I am asking for is not in the interest of Head-HI interest as far as making maximum money as a business. But it would certainly be in our interest as consumers if we can influence future CanJams to make it possible for us to use our own source material and show more low and medium priced offerings.

I personally was able to use my own source material everywhere I listened, so I don't really share your sentiment. All I had to do was ask them if I could hook up my own player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back