CanJam at RMAF 2014 impressions
Oct 12, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #61 of 441
I attended the Canjam on Saturday. I spent a lot of time listening to the all of the headphones and matching the headphones to amps. My report does not include the Sony MDR-Z7 although I did spend at least 40 minutes with the phones. They were nice, but not my favorites.

I wrote a report in the headphone section of this forum. The summary below is in my report.

A fresh new look from a non-audiophile. My quest at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2014 was simple, find the best sounding headphones. I have a small amount of experience in the new audio equipment. What I bring to the table in this forum is my music experience. I compose symphonies, conduct orchestras and perform concerts. I know what the music should sound like and wanted to find a HP that matched my expectations.

I spent all day listening and re-listening to each top end HP. I sat at each station for at least 12 sittings to make sure my first impressions were incorrect. To give everyone here my reference point, I did not own nor have I ever listened to any of these HP’s in the past. I listened to the usual brands, Sennheiser, Fostex, Sony, Beyer Dynamic, AKG, Mr. Speaker, Stax, HiFiman, Grado, Audeze and many others.

I am not going to go into what I did not like but delve on what impressed me. That way I do not offend any audiophiles. As I made my way around all of the different headphones I kept on searching for the perfect sound as if I was conducting an orchestra and being up front and personal with each musician. My criteria was simple, find a great reproduction of sound, make sure it does not color the actual instruments, find the correct balance of sound staging and the most important feature which is comfort to actually listen for long periods of time.

All of the headphones were very good and had certain characteristics for a specific instruments. Some of the headphones that did not make my top 5 was due to comfort and the ability to listen for a long period of time even though they may have sounds wonderful. Some of the headphones in this list were from HiFiman and Grado. These just did not fit me well but did sound very nice.

I was most impressed with the very first time I put on the Sennheiser HD-650. I was not expecting much out of these headphones since they have been around for a decade or more and the technology was pretty old. They were fantastic and for the price point they were unbeatable.

The Sennheiser HD-700 made my top 3 headhphones for perfect clarity, staging, comfort and one of the best HP’s for the money they were asking.

The Sennheiser HD-800, I am sorry to say did not fit me very well. They moved around the head too much, they sounded great and was the most accurate in reproducing all instruments in the orchestra. The only complaint I had with these HP’s was that it may have been too accurate and shows the imperfections of the recording and well and the music.

The Grado’s are great but my ears are not made for this torture device since I own a few of these already.

My first impression of the Fostex TH-900 was not a good one. But as I moved around the different booths I found that this headphone particular on what amp was pushing them. These headphones turned out to be a close # 2 or 3 depending on what amp was being hooked up at the time.

The Stax headphones was possibly the most accurate for all types of sound of any type of instrument. I am also sorry to say that these did not make my top 5 list because every little sound from the outside interfered with the listening process. This is not good for me alone since I am not going to be listening in a soundproof room all the time.
The last set of listening’s I did was the Audeze. I was a little reluctant to try these at first since most of the other vendors were always making fun of the personnel always dressed up in lab coats inferring that they forgot there mink coats at home. There is a lot of hype about these HP’s including the price. I checked out the LCD-2, 3, X and the XC.  I tried to be as un-biased as possible but everyone kept seeing the smile on my face when listening to the LCD-XC. I have found what I was searching for.

There is no prefect headphone, only a headphone that covers some of the criteria that you are searching for. The Audeze LCD-XC meets my expectations for sound quality, sound staging, and comfort. It seems that these are not very particular on amps as well. I even pushed out good sound directly out of my iphone. There was not much to dislike about these phones. Except for one minor drawback, the horrible weight. If there was only one issue I had it was why could Audeze make these a little lighter.

To summarize what I have seen and heard, The Audeze LCD-XC was my top choice although the price was a little steep but worth the price. The Sennheiser HD-700 was my second solid choice. This particular headphone was the one I was always going back to get a good reference point once again. The HD-700 was the best of the crowd for the price and was a truly wonderful headphone. The Fostex was my second/third choice depending on the amp. But when it came down to what headphones I would be the most happiest with was the Audeze. The Audeze won out because the Fostex 900 was so close to the price of the Audeze and enough said.

One last comment was how amazed I was on hearing the Sennheiser HD-650. That little headhone was real nice although the HD-700 was just that much better.

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #63 of 441
Sorry, but it is not scientific. It is extremely biased as to what my ears have heard. I turned professional in music at age 13 and went to Princeton to study with Bernstein for composing back in the early 70's until Viet Nam got me. My ears know what it likes and what it expects to hear when listening to certain instruments. I was judging the headphones on quality of sound alone and not based on price point. The show had some very expensive equipment there and I was overwhelmed since I really am a novice on the new audio stuff. 

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #64 of 441
  It seems a few vendors are using the Alpha Dog/Prime headphones
basshead.gif

I heard the Alphas (not sure if they were the Dogs or Primes) with the Geek Pulse. Something definitely off with it today (Sunday) but the Alphas weren't exactly helping either. Given it was my first time listening to either, I was underwhelmed to say the least, after reading so much positive press about the Alphas. I hope they tune the Pulse before launching it.

Show itself was very well done. Especially enjoyed the 2-ch part of it for some reason. 

The HE-560s were really nice, compared to my HE-6s. They had both connected to their EF-6 amp so I could definitely check them both. HE-6 had a bit more air/detail but the HE-560s seemed a bit more well-rounded as well. Could have easily lived with that.

It was also cool to see the modular LIO from Vinnie Rossi. 

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #65 of 441
Well today was the last day, I'm kind of sad... already looking forward to next year! Today I gave the Noble K10 a good listen and was blown away - I’m really, really hoping to win them from the scavenger hunt :wink:

All in all it was tons of fun, and I'd totally recomend coming next year to anybody who remains undecided!

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #66 of 441
I was pleasantly surprised at the value of the T10i! A fantastic iPhone accompaniment I'm sure to pick up when it hits the street. The box was chocked full of accessories including what looks like multiple cable options (I didn't ask). 

I agree. It will compete well with the dn-1000.

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #67 of 441
Sorry, but it is not scientific. It is extremely biased as to what my ears have heard. I turned professional in music at age 13 and went to Princeton to study with Bernstein for composing back in the early 70's until Viet Nam got me. My ears know what it likes and what it expects to hear when listening to certain instruments. I was judging the headphones on quality of sound alone and not based on price point. The show had some very expensive equipment there and I was overwhelmed since I really am a novice on the new audio stuff. 

I agree 100 percent with your findings, have the hd700 and the lcd2s but now feel I need to upgrade to the XC. Now you need to figure out what to listen to them with. :kissing:

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #68 of 441
Two discounts codes people might want

Koss, 25% off almost everything, code is RMAFCJ2014
Until October 17
www.koss.com

The other code I got was from anti-cable
BVG2W
Not sure how long it lasts

Hope this helps someone.

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #69 of 441
  I attended the show yesterday and part of today, and wanted to share impressions of two things for now (more to come later).

- Worst thing I heard: the Pendulumic Stance S1.

These were honestly so bad that I thought "how can this scam be sold for $200?!" I seriously thought my Koss KSC75, which are $20, sound better than the Stance S1. The Stance S1 was so muddy- and unclear-sounding I was in disbelief. It barely reproduced the music on the test source (I forget what it was, but there was some familiar music on it) with much sonic recognition, there was just way too much missing and it totally murked up everything at the same time.

There are absolutely no headphones that I think are worse than the S1, it went straight to the bottom of my all-time dogpile. It brought back memories of Audio-Technica's now-discontinued ATH-FC7, which I had several years ago and sold for $60. That's about how much I think the S1 is worth, tops, and that's being generous.

I own a S1 and am looking forward to buying the S1 Plus.

It is by far, the best BLUETOOTH wireless Headphone I've had and I do not use it wired! That's precisely the reason I bought the S1 - wireless freedom.

I do not think it is fair to compare the S1 wireless to wired Koss KSC75 or even ATH-FC7.

One thing for sure, I tried using it with iphone 5, it was not good simply because iphone 5 did not have the APTX.

It works great with Samsung's S3, S4 and S5.

Cheers!

Asajjin

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #70 of 441
I agree. It will compete well with the dn-1000.

Indeed I agree with all the above, after minutes of listening felt these really had some significant bass, even without their bass enhancer knob twisted in.

They must really be bass head IEMs if that tweak is installed.

I was pleasantly surprised at the value of the T10i! A fantastic iPhone accompaniment I'm sure to pick up when it hits the street. The box was chocked full of accessories including what looks like multiple cable options (I didn't ask). 

Make sure you go by and see RHA table and check out the T10i... I found it very comfortable and easy to fit, very well built, nice cable, and accessories golore, only $200.

The RHA T10i was something that really stood out to me at CanJam. I was really impressed with the value that they had, and the bass was really fun to listen to (even with the standard filters). I'm most definetly going to be picking up a pair as soon as they come out! Also, the folks at the RHA booth said that they were going to be emailing out ~10% discount codes to everybody who signed up for their mailing list while at CanJam, so that's nice too.

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #71 of 441
I own a S1 and am looking forward to buying the S1 Plus.

It is by far, the best BLUETOOTH wireless Headphone I've had and I do not use it wired! That's precisely the reason I bought the S1 - wireless freedom.

I do not think it is fair to compare the S1 wireless to wired Koss KSC75 or even ATH-FC7.

One thing for sure, I tried using it with iphone 5, it was not good simply because iphone 5 did not have the APTX.

It works great with Samsung's S3, S4 and S5.

Cheers!

Asajjin

I felt the same way, the S1 sounded quite good for a Bluetooth headphone (to my relatively untrained ears). I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a pair for myself!

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #72 of 441
A few more brief impressions of this year's products and participating vendors:

Alclair Custom In-Ear Monitors

Nice products coming from Alclair and at nice price points to boot.  I auditioned their Reference model, which I found to have a nice balanced sound that was full and enticing, doing really nothing wrong at all.  However, I did find them lacking a little of the detail and presence of other much more expensive brand models.  However, for $399 and options to fully customize, these pose a nice neutral option.

Vinnie Rossi - Ultracapacitor, Powered, Modular Hi-Fi Systems

I really enjoyed talking to Vinnie Rossi about his completely modular Hi-Fi solutions, including a system of ultra-capacitors, that completely remove the power off the AC line, powering/charging all the time, 24/7 if you want, as well as being rated at more than a few million cycles, so no more hassle replacing batteries or those that ware down quickly.  The system he had on demo sounded fantastic, doing just about everything right and not much if anything wrong at all.  Highly recommended if you are looking for a multi-purpose solution that lets you be as picky about it as you are about the sound.  Plus, Vinnie was very passionate, someone who also truly knows this audio stuff and it seemed to me that there may be even more new and good things, like these ultra-capacitors, in the works for the LIO.

Below are the ultra-capacitors - half run the power, while the other half charges:

Front faceplate of the LIO:

The Audio Nerd

Met the guys behind The Audio Nerd, a retailer of rare records and audio gear, and really enjoyed talking to them about the products they offer.  Always good to see fellow music lovers spreading the joy of good sound and design while down the path to audio bliss.  Plus, I dig the logo, and the name is probably true to us all.

A couple of products they offer that looked interesting were the Glass FX Mini DAC and the Lambert Audio "Play it by Ear"

Jolida Glass FX Mini DAC

Lambert Audio "Play it by Ear" - shown separately in the picture above and with the rest of the components and speakers in the model series below

I wasn't able to try out the DAC Mini, but I did give the Lambert a try, finding that while I really did enjoy the sound overall, it lacked a little bit of depth and detail that other smaller (but not this small) OTL amps deliver.  It ran my 300 ohm HD650s quite well though and with a nice bloom and warmth from the tube.  This would make a great bedside setup.  Very nice design and quality coming out of New Zealand!

If you're a vinyl addict than you may find some new friends over at The Audio Nerd as well.  They seemed to be meticulous when it comes to their records; the one I listened to through the Lambert was completely crystal clear quiet... which, in my opinion when done properly, in an optimal situation and with a great recording, beats any digital storage solution every time.

Noble Audio

Great looking and sounding IEMs from Noble this year.  I auditioned their Kaiser 10 (K10), a 10 driver design shown below, and I thought they sounded really great.  Nice full sound that was well balanced and detailed, while all along sounding so good, I often found myself forgetting about all the details and just enjoy the music coming out of these little guys.  Very impressive fit, finish, and most importantly sound.

Sennheiser HDVA 600

Over the years, including each year I've attended CanJam, I've tried my pair HD650s on quite a few very different amplifiers, so I was shocked with the great sound coming out of the HDVA 600, through my HD650s.  Probably the best solid state amplification I've ever heard with the 650s... yes, that good and there is even a higher 800 model, but it was quite popular and I wasn't able to try it.  That being said, I also have to mention that I've listened to more hi-end tube amps than hi-end solid state amps with these headphones, so my opinions may vary after doing so, but the HDVA 600 just sounded like they were made for the 650s, as well as their siblings... makes sense, why not build the perfect amplifier for some of the most owned hi-end headphones in the world, you'd probably sell a few amps, right.  As for me, I'm enjoying my current amplifier too much to give it up right now, but if I was more concerned with precision and accuracy, with a neutrality that may be unmatched when matched with their headphones, the HDVA 600/800 would be at the top of my to get list.  I'm sure they probably sound great with any other of their other headphones as well (look at the front jack of the picture above and below, yes that many headphones (all senns) plugged in at once and each of them were being used at the time I snapped the photo!).

l try to post some more impressions and descriptions/photos in the next few days as well.

Thanks again to everyone involved in making this year the best show I've attended yet... if you weren't there Saturday night, you really missed out...!

(This was about a min. after they set it all up and ~4 minutes prior to it being completely devoured... amazing show, amazing time...)

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #73 of 441

Vinnie Rossi - Ultracapacitor, Powered, Modular Hi-Fi Systems
[…]

Nice to see a brief write-up on a piece of equipment I've been following obsessively for the past couple of weeks… Looks like the black one was kitted out with both headphone and speaker amps, the tube stage, presumably the DAC… was the DAC being used for input? Curious as to how that module is going to perform… Not that I don't expect great things, I'm just… very curious! I'm more interested in LIO as a power amp, but would eventually add the headphone module… Look forward to hearing more impressions from folks…

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #74 of 441
The Vinnie Rossi LIO was very impressive, to me the overall sound quality was one of the best I heard at the show.  I can't remember for sure if the DAC of the LIO was being used or not, it was being run by a Sony media player, pictured below:

Now, if it was the Sony DAC or the LIO, I'm not too sure.  The Sony has a tube buffer, seen at the back of the unit, so it may have been bypassing the DAC of LIO.  Either way, the sound was very detailed and balanced, to me the most refined sound I heard out of headphones at the show, for both the LCD3s there or my HD650s.  Very cool design concept as well... give the customers the choice, let them build their own if they want to, nice to see when it is done well.  I can't give an in-depth review of the LIO as I only spent about 15 minutes with it and the rest of the time talking and listening to Vinnie, but I can tell you that I enjoyed every second of it, even tried to convince myself that I could use one in the near future, somewhere, right... but I'll be keeping my eye out as well for any impressions of a more extended period of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back