Can tape prevent water leak?
Jan 9, 2007 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JahJahBinks

Headphoneus Supremus
I accidently dropped the plastic water rank of my humidifier in the sink and now there is a three inch crack on it. I am wondering if there is any tape that's better than duck tape which I can use to prevent the water from dripping out.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 12
Short term, duck tape might do. Long term? Probably not. I think it may be best to dig out the old wallet for a replacement. :/

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 12
If you have Araldite in the states or some similar epoxy resin then i would try to seam weld it shut with the glue run/spread along the crack, the epoxy will melt into the plastic and harden into a waterproof seal.

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 12
what about caulking it?

Dry it off, head down to your hardware store, buy a cheap caulking gun (6 bucks) and some kind of silicone.

Then apply it right over the crack, so its more or less a blob of goo. Let it dry for atleast 24 hours, but 48 would be better.

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 12
I've used waterproof epoxy from Home Depot to seal up reservoirs for PC watercooling. It might work in your situation, however you should check with the guys there first to see if it's safe to use in that application.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #8 of 12
If, as I suspect, the tank is just a reservoir tank without added pressure, and the surface is either flat or gently (simplex) curved, not two axis curved, you can probably make a decent patch by drying the tank thoroughly, and then applying a single layer of packing tape. It must go on without any wrinkles or bubbles, on the inside of the tank. Make sure to burnish the tape down, with the bottom of a spoon, or suchlike, so that the adhesive is given every opportunity to bond.

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #9 of 12
RTV Silicone Sealant
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 12
I used it to plug a crack in the sump of my 300 gallon saltwater tank ... I would think it would be okay for a humidifier. I think it was a green stick I found in the plumbing department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back