Can someone help me decide between jh-3a +16 or just jh16
Sep 25, 2010 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wazzupi

Headphoneus Supremus
Watercooler Travel Team
Pulling out the Head-Fi muscle
I called jh to find out a little more info on the jh-3a and they told me basically the jh-3a is twice as fat as a ipod just as long which i can literally fit 2 length wise in most of cloths that isn't a problem and I sometimes put a phone/mp3/wallet/headstage amp in the same pocket and it doesn't give me a problem so throw away the size being an issue for portable use is it worth getting the paying 1800 vs 1200 for the jh-3a just money wise ??? am I really missing out 2 things I want most in my IEM's more soundstage I'm sure everything else is going to amazing. So does the jh-3a actually give you enough soundstage to make a difference vs just getting the jh16's ?

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 6
I think you are probably underestimating the portability factor if you want your set-up to be portable.

Ipod (plus whatever carrying case/protection) plus a LOD of some kind forcing the orientation to be a certain way and the distance between them to be a certain way for the connection plus a double ipod thickness amp (plus whatever protection you jury-rig for it) is not going to fit in a discerning gentleman's pants.

The 3A will be portable in the sense of fitting in one's attache.

Maybe the next generation 3A will be smaller... and sound better (wait until people start finding the audio flaws after the initial honeymoon--it's already started with a person who pm'd me after having heard them at canjam and found the treble transients slow compared to the LCD-2). Given the way the 3A is coming together with one of the most important people in the process leaving midway, waiting for the next iteration seems like by far the most sensible move. The people who didn't even hear it at canjam, sold their already high-end rigs because HYPE and then got stuck listening to a $80 iem until the 3A comes out in January (don't even pretend that there won't be further delays) were not being sensible, to say the least.

Whenever JHA gets overwhelmed with orders, expect to see build quality and customer service suffer. We saw that with the initial rush to buy to the JH16 in the spring. That rush is over and the JH-3A won't be ready for a while, so now's actually a good time to buy a JH16.

Anyway, can't answer your question about soundstage, but you might want to wait a bit before you pay for the 3A until about two months after people get theirs and the initial reactions have died down.

Edit: 666 posts!

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
I think you are probably underestimating the portability factor if you want your set-up to be portable.

Ipod (plus whatever carrying case/protection) plus a LOD of some kind forcing the orientation to be a certain way and the distance between them to be a certain way for the connection plus a double ipod thickness amp (plus whatever protection you jury-rig for it) is not going to fit in a discerning gentleman's pants.

The 3A will be portable in the sense of fitting in one's attache.

Maybe the next generation 3A will be smaller... and sound better (wait until people start finding the audio flaws after the initial honeymoon--it's already started with a person who pm'd me after having heard them at canjam and found the treble transients slow compared to the LCD-2). Given the way the 3A is coming together with one of the most important people in the process leaving midway, waiting for the next iteration seems like by far the most sensible move. The people who didn't even hear it at canjam, sold their already high-end rigs because HYPE and then got stuck listening to a $80 iem until the 3A comes out in January (don't even pretend that there won't be further delays) were not being sensible, to say the least.

Whenever JHA gets overwhelmed with orders, expect to see build quality and customer service suffer. We saw that with the initial rush to buy to the JH16 in the spring. That rush is over and the JH-3A won't be ready for a while, so now's actually a good time to buy a JH16.

Anyway, can't answer your question about soundstage, but you might want to wait a bit before you pay for the 3A until about two months after people get theirs and the initial reactions have died down.

Edit: 666 posts!

There are a lot of inaccuracies in this post, in no particular order:

1)  JHA will not *overwhelmed* with orders.  I think the current list is around 30, maybe a bit more.  That's not a whole lot.  This is a niche item with a price to match.

2)  The guy who left the project didn't finish the DSP codes part (the part that controls the logic to change phase/bass etc.).  For the overwhelming majority of folks here, no one would care.  Its really for mixing and mastering which is what Jerry is after since JHA is trying to dominate the studio IEM referencing market.  Thus the delay was more for the overall market than audiophiles/headfi'ers (whatever)

3)  In terms of portability, the issue is not really the JH-3A size.  I think the main problem is source.  You need a line out and in the portable world, there are very few high-end candidates.

4)  There is indeed a lot of hype.  But we have ever single senior head-fier at these meets listening to it and going, WOW, this is great.  I am not saying it will be the be-all end-all of sonic bliss but given Jerry's track record, I think we can expect a very high-end polished product.

Cheers!

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:

There are a lot of inaccuracies in this post, in no particular order:

1)  JHA will not *overwhelmed* with orders.  I think the current list is around 30, maybe a bit more.  That's not a whole lot.  This is a niche item with a price to match.

2)  The guy who left the project didn't finish the DSP codes part (the part that controls the logic to change phase/bass etc.).  For the overwhelming majority of folks here, no one would care.  Its really for mixing and mastering which is what Jerry is after since JHA is trying to dominate the studio IEM referencing market.  Thus the delay was more for the overall market than audiophiles/headfi'ers (whatever)

3)  In terms of portability, the issue is not really the JH-3A size.  I think the main problem is source.  You need a line out and in the portable world, there are very few high-end candidates.

4)  There is indeed a lot of hype.  But we have ever single senior head-fier at these meets listening to it and going, WOW, this is great.  I am not saying it will be the be-all end-all of sonic bliss but given Jerry's track record, I think we can expect a very high-end polished product.

Cheers!

Quick question about the JH-3A. What inputs does it have? Can I just hook up an iPhone headphone out to the line in on the JH-3A? Also, I know I should know this, but what is the difference between a line out and a headphone jack? *OK, so after some research, I see that a line out has a constant volume suitable for plugging in an external amp... correct?* I am also having difficulty deciding whether or not I should get the JH-3A with my JH-16s.

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Quick question about the JH-3A. What inputs does it have? Can I just hook up an iPhone headphone out to the line in on the JH-3A? Also, I know I should know this, but what is the difference between a line out and a headphone jack? *OK, so after some research, I see that a line out has a constant volume suitable for plugging in an external amp... correct?* I am also having difficulty deciding whether or not I should get the JH-3A with my JH-16s.

Depends on the type of line-out.  Ideally, say an optical line-out, you would have a pure digital signal that would bypass any digital to audio conversion on your iPhone.  AFAIK, you will not be able to connect the iPhone to the JH-3A without some third-party device (folks have been talking about the CyperLabs product that is due to be out post JH-3A release).

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 6
well the jh3a is quite simply guarenteed to sound better then any other jh product. otherwise they wouldnt be producing it.  How that will sound, i cant say, and really no-one can.
i think the reasons you would consider NOT getting the 3A would be the Non-audio quality reasons.. i.e. portability, flexibility with sources, ability to try new components and so on...

the biggest factors to consider are portability, and the simple fact that once you go JH3A - youre basically locked in.  Barring future compatible jh3a upgrades, you are stuck with the jh3a system as a whole.. though i get the feeling "stuck" will not be the most appropriate term in this case. 

anyway this all coming from a JH3A pre-orderer who was one of the stupid ones who sold his entire rig on blind faith having never heard a jh product or a custom iem in my life.  To me it is simple.. if im going to go as far as the jh16, i might as well go that extra "inch" otherwise ill always wonder how much better they could have sounded.  

OK so i wont be able to try out every new amp or dac under the sun.. poor me. 
wink.gif
  I'll be forever cursed to focus on the music instead of upgrade-itis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back