Can I mod ipod 6g 80gb ?
May 11, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 17
certainly.

hit it with a big ****ing hammer.

that should mod it very nicely

May 11, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 17
Well actually you can, but you won't yield the same benefits (because of the different chip) as with earlier generations.

May 12, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by superpiper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
certainly.

hit it with a big ****ing hammer.

that should mod it very nicely

pls be kind to ipod use it as a door wedge or a paper weight that sound better for the 6gen ipod

May 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 17
Probably!
I don't see any issues with modifying the 6G iPod, as long you have the skills needed.

May 12, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably!
I don't see any issues with modifying the 6G iPod, as long you have the skills needed.

I thought the chip in the 6g was not the same that in the 5g and it couldn't be modded. And anyway the line-out of the "classic" is already good.

May 12, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 17
its not the same, but that doesn't stop you taking the signal directly from the dac to the dock.

The difference with the 6th gen is that the line out is already pretty clean, and stock, the line out is better than the 5,5g, thus the difference in improvement gained between modding the 6th gen would not be as large as they are when modding the 5.5gen.

NOTE, that does not mean the 6th gen is as good as 5.5 gen diymod or imod, or indeed that when modded the 6th gen would be as good or better than a 5.5gen diymod/imod ... you still have the better dac in the 5.5 gen.

it does mean that probably in some peoples experiences, the stock 6th gen is as good or better than the stock 5th/5.5 gen as it is a cleaner signal stock, but dont forget the poorer dac (by all accounts)

May 12, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bidoux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the chip in the 6g was not the same that in the 5g and it couldn't be modded. And anyway the line-out of the "classic" is already good.

Different chip it is.
But the OP did not ask for any specific modifications, so it don't have to be related to the DAC at all.

May 13, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its not the same, but that doesn't stop you taking the signal directly from the dac to the dock.

The difference with the 6th gen is that the line out is already pretty clean, and stock, the line out is better than the 5,5g, thus the difference in improvement gained between modding the 6th gen would not be as large as they are when modding the 5.5gen.

NOTE, that does not mean the 6th gen is as good as 5.5 gen diymod or imod, or indeed that when modded the 6th gen would be as good or better than a 5.5gen diymod/imod ... you still have the better dac in the 5.5 gen.

it does mean that probably in some peoples experiences, the stock 6th gen is as good or better than the stock 5th/5.5 gen as it is a cleaner signal stock, but dont forget the poorer dac (by all accounts)

100% agree that the 6 gen is a poorer DAC and by itself using apple losses compare to 5 gen SQ really hurt my ears and prolong hearing of 6 gen could lead to deaf or maybe death

May 13, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100% agree that the 6 gen is a poorer DAC and by itself using apple losses compare to 5 gen SQ really hurt my ears and prolong hearing of 6 gen could lead to deaf or maybe death

Anything constructive to add to this thread?

May 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #15 of 17
We haven't seen a diyMod done on a 6G, but it's theoretically possible. I can't discern from the iFixit photos which caps need to be replaced, but I'm sure if I got one opened up, it wouldn't be too hard. The difference is that previous iPods had the Wolfson logo and model number clearly displayed. Now, it seems Apple prefers everything to be shrouded in darkness so that we don't know a thing about their chips. Fair enough, but now we can't read the datasheets or pinouts for their CODECs.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Forget this "clean enough" nonsense. I second what FallenAngel said, but it's still debatable whether or not the earlier generations are better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back