Can great bass be had for under $100??
Aug 23, 2005 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

grndslm

1000+ Head-Fier
My friend's lookin' for the best headphones that give him some beat for $100.

He doesn't care whether they're open or closed...he just wants bass.

I've heard others refer the V6 for bass, but I'm personally not all that impressed with the V6s I just got today....maybe after I burn 'em in, eh??

He might be using them to game as well....he said he won't, but I'm sure he might. I remember reading that rap & gaming thread a while ago....but I don't think the recommendations were under a bill.

I'll have to search for it again and make sure, but I'd still like some fresh recommendations now.

Thanks,
grndslm

Aug 23, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 30
Burn em in man! THe V6's dont take long to burn in at all
but does have some burn in time. The bass was absent on the first day for sure. 3rd day the bass came in just perfectly. 4th day it was completely ready. I am talking about only using 7 hours a day.

The bass is a bit heavier than neutral. All the Sub commercial bass phones have heavy bass. A lot of sonys. What about those new movie Mdr XD400s
I am not so sure about those, since i havent tried it. But i havent hear a sony without bass so far.

There are other cans with bass slam, i haven't tried the others to say.
But theres the grado line.. Sr60, SR80.

Aug 23, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster Sword
Burn em in man! THe V6's dont take long to burn in at all
but does have some burn in time. The bass was absent on the first day for sure. 3rd day the bass came in just perfectly. 4th day it was completely ready. I am talking about only using 7 hours a day.

The bass is a bit heavier than neutral. All the Sub commercial bass phones have heavy bass. A lot of sonys. What about those new movie Mdr XD400s
I am not so sure about those, since i havent tried it. But i havent hear a sony without bass so far.

Oh...I'm gonna break 'em in alright. I'm just not used to all these "fresh" headphones. The KSC75s had better bass as soon as I pulled 'em out the package.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster Sword
There are other cans with bass slam, i haven't tried the others to say.
But theres the grado line.. Sr60, SR80.

Are open or closed cans gonna provide better bass...open seems to provide better quality $ for $.

Aug 23, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 30
Aug 23, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 30
After borrowing the HD280pro [firm build]
And using the V6's for a bit, i decided on the V6 due to its well roundedness and better bass slam.

While the HD280pro goes very low [bass extension down to low 22 something hz' around there the bass where it counts in music. It is quiet like little whispers. Its clean like soap. I found this trait especially useful for radio or broadcasting while holding a Video camera, or tracking vocals where those frequencies are cut out the mix. Mids are a bit wetter and higher quality than V6 but comes at a cost of being claustrophobic, another reason i cant stand them. They are fantastic with piano.

I can't answer on the Open or closed. But, imho, using closed cans, or open i found heavy bass on either types. But theres also resonance problems with bass and soundstage problems into a closed can that relies on better than average art engineers to create good sound into them.

While the extension is good [going deep] the bass does not Punch, its well below neutral dropping like a stone starting at 90hz/100hz and too empty at the sweet Pop spot of 60hz
i would say go other places if you need both quality and quantity bass.

The V6 has bass power, but not as tight as say my Klipsch subwoofer.
The koss KSC75 are a lot muddier bass than v6 i think, so if you like those you will like these better. But they won't make miracles.

I haven't tried the A500. Someone should comment on that soon.

Aug 23, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 30
You could get really really good bass for well under $100 with the Altec Lansing AHP-512. Buy them now! They rock for the price!

Aug 23, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 30
K240S.
basshead.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 30
Tell him to save up for the Beyerdynamic DT770. Definately worth it, if he likes his bass.

Also, an amp wouldnt hurt
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Tell him to save up for the Beyerdynamic DT770. Definately worth it, if he likes his bass.

Also, an amp wouldnt hurt
evil_smiley.gif

Heh....I'll be sure to let him know you're sorry for his wallet.

I'm pretty sure that's what he's lookin' for. He'll certainly have to save a lil' bit longer to get 'em, tho, or try and find 'em used...but I'll have to point him to this page tomorrow.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome, but I doubt you other guys could come up with something better than a DT770 for a $100 price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back