CAMPFIRE AUDIO Australia - New Zealand Tour (Reviews and Impressions) ORION / LYRA / JUPITER / ANDROMEDA
May 30, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #301 of 340
I was able to get an exchange for mine from the distributor here, excellent service as well. CA replied to my email saying that the wiggling socket is not a common issue. However the distributor here allowed me to unseal two sets of brand new Orion and both had the wiggling MMCX socket as well, although one set was less serious and that's the set I have now.... I'm not sure what to take of this anymore but for now I'll live with it and hope that it doesn't cut off the sound again.

Glad you got it sorted, although that is disconcerting to hear about the sockets...

I received my replacement pair today. They upgraded the cable to the new Litz one for free, but I do wish they would have asked first. Unfortunately I made the mistake of sending in my silicone tips with my defective pair and now I'm stuck with using foam tips. My mistake 
mad.gif
 but hopefully they'll let me pay for some size M ones.

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #303 of 340
Anyone use JVC Spiral Tips or Spinfits with their IEMs? I have both Spiral Tips and Spinfits and wanted to know what others thought.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #305 of 340
I have just bought a Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 replacement cable with inline remote and mic in an attempt to use the Orion with my iPhone case that would not fit the Tinsel cable jack. Thought I should share the experience here in case anyone faces the same problem as me.

It changed the sound A LOT. After switching the cable, the Orion sounds extremely different, the mid became very thin and there's more emphasis on the treble. To me it sounds horrible. The experience is quite the same as when I tried to use a 75 ohm impedance adapter with the Orion+Tinsel.

I was a firm believer of that any well made cable should not change the sound, but Orion might be very very sensitive to impedance change, and the P1 copper cable likely has higher resistance. I cannot measure it but on the Fiio M3 the P1 cable needed 3 more levels of volume to sound as loud as the Tinsel cable.

Too bad as the P1 cable is of fantastic quality with very little microphonics, and I would have to throw away my iPhone case now because of the huge jack of the Tinsel cable...

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #306 of 340
I have just bought a Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 replacement cable with inline remote and mic in an attempt to use the Orion with my iPhone case that would not fit the Tinsel cable jack. Thought I should share the experience here in case anyone faces the same problem as me.

It changed the sound A LOT. After switching the cable, the Orion sounds extremely different, the mid became very thin and there's more emphasis on the treble. To me it sounds horrible. The experience is quite the same as when I tried to use a 75 ohm impedance adapter with the Orion+Tinsel.

I was a firm believer of that any well made cable should not change the sound, but Orion might be very very sensitive to impedance change, and the P1 copper cable likely has higher resistance. I cannot measure it but on the Fiio M3 the P1 cable needed 3 more levels of volume to sound as loud as the Tinsel cable.

Too bad as the P1 cable is of fantastic quality with very little microphonics, and I would have to throw away my iPhone case now because of the huge jack of the Tinsel cable...

CA IEMs really too sensitive
I did some comparison cable here, after still with stock or SXC24 will be the best
http://hisonicears.weebly.com/alo-audio-cables.html

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #307 of 340

Although I'm not a fan of playing around with cables, considering how neutral it is when I had it, it is certainly believable.
It is also sensitive to amp pairing in my experience.

I happen to try it on OPPO HA-2 and Chord mojo.
basing on the tonality alone, the sound becomes a bit thin with the HA-2 and wasn't a good pairing, with the chord mojo on the other hand, the added touch of warm really adds nice musicality to it.
the difference is indeed quite noticeable.

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #309 of 340
This one wasn't really my type of signature - but still I came away impressed

Lyra review up - http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-lyra/reviews/16319

Jul 25, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #315 of 340
Alright, here I am again, with my second pair of Orion losing sound on one side (Right side). The issue is with the MMCX female socket, as I tried using my P1 cable to no avail.

Holding the MMCX cable and pushing it inwards made the sound comes back, but as soon as I let it loose the sound is gone. So it is definitely a loose connection caused by the loose MMCX socket.

If anyone remembers, I complained about the wiggling female socket about a month ago, and was given a new pair by CA distributor here in SG. The new pair still has the wiggling socket, but I had to think that it is the norm because I actually opened two brand new pairs in the shop during the exchange and both have varying degree of wiggling.

So now I have owned two pairs of Orion, both dead after a month. I have never pulled the cable harshly, wrap and keep them in the leather case nicely usually, etc. Suffice to say, I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the build quality. Ironically, build quality was one of the MAIN reasons that convinced me to splurge for these.

@KB if you are looking at this, we talked through PM before and I gave CA the benefit of doubt regarding the issue. But now I am not so sure anymore. I may be the unlucky one, but almost all my IEMs lasted at least two years prior to this (well except the garbage Hifiman RE-600, and even that lasted two months!), so this being my most expensive IEMs to date and failing twice in a short period of time, I am very very upset.

Here's a link to the video showing the weak point I mentioned, for anyone interested in: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pt5an8w2lr9jalj/Video%2021-5-16%2C%203%2057%2029%20PM.mov?dl=0 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back