CAMPFIRE AUDIO Australia - New Zealand Tour (Reviews and Impressions) ORION / LYRA / JUPITER / ANDROMEDA
Apr 26, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #271 of 340
The Orions have landed :)

Just about to have a listen.

Due to a snafu last week ( me leaving the Jupiters in my drawer at work thinking they were in my bag, and the long weekend, it has pushed me getting the Jupiters out by 6 days.

I will express them today.  My sincerest apologies.

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #274 of 340
  The Orions have landed :)

Just about to have a listen.

Due to a snafu last week ( me leaving the Jupiters in my drawer at work thinking they were in my bag, and the long weekend, it has pushed me getting the Jupiters out by 6 days.

I will express them today.  My sincerest apologies.

Hi Guys,

It's been very busy for me this past few weeks, my review of the orion is still in the writing process, I will finish up before the end of the week.

We're all looking forward to your reviews guys. Thanks for the updates.

May 4, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #280 of 340
  Hi Guys,

I have finished the review of Orion.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-orion/reviews/15874

Thanks,
Sayan

better late than never, here's my take on them:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-orion/reviews/15886

Cheers! :)

Comparison

I think I find the perfect comparison for Orion, Phonak PFE 012. Ok maybe not perfect, but they both share a single BA design so I think it's quite fair to compare them side by side, strictly from sound quality, not including accessories, build and cable quality (in which the Orion totally destroy PFE 012).

Note: I only have the green filter for PFE 012, without EQ they sounded too bassy/muddy for me, so I applied some EQ to lift the Mids and Trebles.

Bass: While the Orion is light on bass, PFE is the complete opposite, with the green filter there is too much bass! With a bit of EQ they sounded really nice. So hands down to PFE for bass.

Mids: Mids is still dominated by Orion, they mids on PFE is pretty good but not as full sounding and rich as the Orion. 

Treble: It is bit brighter on the PFE, but this is pretty much due to EQ, without EQ they're just dull. I tried applying EQ to Orion but I find that the PFE is more respoding to EQ compare to Orion. 

Noise Isolation: Due to the shape of the PFE, they didnt really cover my ears as much as Orion, so for me the Orion does better passive noise isolation compare to the PFE.

Comfort: The PFE is lighter than the Orion, this is due to the build material and size, but they are equal in comfort for me.

Efficiency: I can drive the Orion comfortably loud using only 50% of my phone volume, however I have to use almost 90% to reach a loud enough sound with the PFE, the Orion is the winner here.

After listening and comparing them side by side, my personal conclusion is they are quite equal in sound quality, just different tuning and sound signature.

Hi Guys,

Sorry it takes longer then expected to post this but, here is my take on the Orion.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-orion/reviews/15887

Comparisons with Jupiter:

I got my Jupiter a few days before I write this review, the jupiter is about 3x the price of the orion, obvously Jupiter will have better technicalities, but Orion is still good for the money.

Some key differences to the Orion:
- V shaped signature
- more bass Quantity and quality, bass has more extension, meatier and hits harder
- more treble Quantity but still smooth and not fatigueing, more detailed, sparkly, energetic and way more extended (this and the bass is the main upgrade IMO) 
- mids is more recessed but still sounds good, I like the orion mids better
- better instrument separation
- the slight congestion issue I mentioned before is almost gone

SUMMARY

This is a great IEM, sound quality is great and very well balnce across the spectrum. at 349 USD this is a bargain, if I have to pick though the mids is the best quality of this IEM and should be your point of consideration when you're deciding whether you want to buy this or not, if you like vocals and guitars and not a basshead, this is perfect for you!! Otherwise maybe look for the jupiter for a V shaped Signature?

I want to give a thumbs up to Campfire Audio for putting up this awesome IEM in such an affordable price.

May 22, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #284 of 340
@warrior1975

To me, the Ref1 is my favourite ever, but I will try stay objective.

Bass on the Ref1 is massive by anyone's definition.  It hits harder, deeper and has more texture than the Jupiter.
The Jupiter however has a decent amount of impact and volume for a BA iem.  It certainly isn't lacking.  It is faster and more nimble than the Ref1.

The mids on both are overshadowed a little by the bass.  However are tuned quite differently.  The mids on the Ref1 give a very unique presentation imo.  The mids on the ref1 are more emotive to me, lending well to acoustic guitars and instruments, where by comparison the mids on the Jupiter are more dry or cold.  The vocals however are quite sweet on the Jupiter.
While both are overshadowed by the bass, the Jupiter is less overshadowed by bass, however it is also overshadowed by the highs.

The highs on both are very detailed, both are non-fatiguing, but VERY different.

The Ref1, like the Rosie takes a darker approach.  The details are there, but they are not in your face at all.  They are presented in a natural way for you to hear.  And with a nice clean powerful source, there are BAGS of detail.
The Jupiter has a sparkly, hey look at all this detail I have for you kind of treble.  Which is nice sometimes, and makes it seem more airy than the Ref1, but can also make it sound artificial.  Something the Ref1/too I had NEVER suffered with.

They are very different beasts.  Being someone who loves the ref1, I usually steer clear of presentations like the Jupiter, but it is done well enough that I enjoyed it quite a bit technically, but I couldn't connect with it emotionally.

As far as soundstage and separation is concerned, think of the Jupiter as a studio, Ref1 as a Concert Hall.  Separation is comparable, though I feel the Ref1 is more coherent in being able to separate but present as music.

Sounds like I am canning the Jupiter, but honestly, it really is very good.  I just find the ref1 not only exceptional, but perfect to my tastes as well.
Not to mention the Ref1  has an optional cable that costs more alone than the Jupiter does with a beautiful Litz cable included.

I must also say, I heard the Jupiter with the Tinsil cables and I believe the new models come with a superior cable.

May 22, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #285 of 340
Thanks brother. I'm definitely not in the market for anything new right now. Have more than enough, but I've heard so much abiut the Campfire stuff... Wanted it put in perspective, since you and I both love the Ref 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back