CAMPFIRE AUDIO Australia - New Zealand Tour (Reviews and Impressions) ORION / LYRA / JUPITER / ANDROMEDA
Mar 9, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #151 of 340
I think it's largely a matter of preferences? The Jupiter does not have a sound sig that is up my alley. however, it does certain things incredibly well, especially with regards to the staging and the imaging.

yet what I like about campfire is how they really understand earphone design. A lot of TOP Brand’s in the industry use plastic tubings and don't bother damping Drivers on the outside. Of course I'm no expert, but my limited understanding of physics tells me that these are things that can be changed for a better sound. Take for example dynamic Drivers, you don't see the best DD IEMs in a plastic chassis because of the poor resonant properties of plastic which can lead to a lot of midrange resonances especially, causing a lot of colouration, making things sound like you're talking through a pipe. I'm not saying they're all like that but there are enough BA IEMs on the market with that kind of sound

campfire takes a very different approach, using metal bores to prevent that colouration, damping each individual driver with epoxy and the likes, and while I agree with you that the tuning is not to my liking, It doesn't suffer from the plasticky colouration that I so often cannot stand in multi BA IEMs.

Whatever it is though, I would like you let you guys know that Ken has some seriously, seriously good stuff coming up. I can't and won't say much because of what I promised him, but this year will be a fantastic year for campfire. Their older models (I did like the Lyra though) piqued my interest, and got me seeing the potential in Ken's design philosophies, but I wouldn't dare say they're the best of the best. What's to come in 2016 though, now that's something you guys can really look forward to. I dare say, that campfire is now one of my two favourite IEM makers!
smily_headphones1.gif
And anyone who knows me knows that I don't like many things
smily_headphones1.gif

Will look forward to the new stuff.  Check the graph I just posted though.  I don't think preference comes into that much of a drop.  5 dB (like 6-Moons measured) might be more like it.  They might sound a bit dull to me like that - but not the major hole that is there now.  Like I said - hopefully there is something wrong with this pair.

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #152 of 340
This is exactly what I wanted to change in the Jupiters!

Yep - much better to very slightly dip at 1 kHz and have a slight lift at 2-3 kHz IMO.

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #153 of 340
O
Will look forward to the new stuff.  Check the graph I just posted though.  I don't think preference comes into that much of a drop.  5 dB (like 6-Moons measured) might be more like it.  They might sound a bit dull to me like that - but not the major hole that is there now.  Like I said - hopefully there is something wrong with this pair.

Oh regarding the graph,

Yes I think the 4-5db drop in the 6moons measurements seem much more in line with what I hear, 10db, as you said, seems like a little bit of a stretch :)

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #154 of 340
Well, let's have them checked by Campfire and possibly reevaluate another pair if the case.

Thanks for the testing so far, Brooko.

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #155 of 340
Funny thing is I'm still listening to the EQ'd pair an hour later.  Comfort isn't the greatest, but I'm loving the adjusted sonics.

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #156 of 340
Funny thing is I'm still listening to the EQ'd pair an hour later.  Comfort isn't the greatest, but I'm loving the adjusted sonics.

It may very well be just the tuning. I did try to eq my pair too, and it actually gives a nice uncoloured sound with fantastic imaging and staging wouldn't you say? :wink:

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #157 of 340
Yep - imaging is one of it's strong points once you clean up the mid-range,  That and the bass definition.

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #158 of 340
Well, I have a different problem with the Orion (and most likely Lyra/Jupiter) and that is fit. I have pretty small ears so have been trialling with the smallest included Comply and silicon tips. Now these go in but the sound (for me) is off, in fact I thought something was wrong until I finally switched over to the longer included foam tips - what a difference!, unfortunately I have to jam these in and cannot get the housings to sit in my ears properly. Suggestions please

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #159 of 340
Thanks for all the work done on this Paul. I will be communicating with Ken in the next few hours. Personally, i think it's best that we have this checked because Campfire Audio has all the resources and information on the Jupiter design and engineering. It'll be for the benefit of everyone involved to get an official statement/findings from Ken and his team. If this is indeed the default tuning or something else, Campfire Audio will be the best source for confirmation. Ken has been very supportive of this tour, and I believe he's taking all the feedback with utmost importance.

To the participants, there will be a change in the schedules and the New Zealand team will most likely be the most affected. I'll coordinate with Ken on how to move forward and minimise the delay in the tour schedule. Again, I'd like to thank you all for the support to this tour. I'll do my best to keep this going and meet the expectations of everyone.

Quote:
  Well, I have a different problem with the Orion (and most likely Lyra/Jupiter) and that is fit. I have pretty small ears so have been trialling with the smallest included Comply and silicon tips. Now these go in but the sound (for me) is off, in fact I thought something was wrong until I finally switched over to the longer included foam tips - what a difference!, unfortunately I have to jam these in and cannot get the housings to sit in my ears properly. Suggestions please

thanks for the feedback Ade, choosing the longer tips (double or triple flanges) will definitely help in your situation. You may have to settle with a shallow insertion if the housing is too big to fit you ears. Also try swivelling the IEMs forwards (clockwise for the right and counter-clockwise for the left), see if that helps.

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #160 of 340
thanks for the feedback Ade, choosing the longer tips (double or triple flanges) will definitely help in your situation. You may have to settle with a shallow insertion if the housing is too big to fit you ears. Also try swivelling the IEMs forwards (clockwise for the right and counter-clockwise for the left), see if that helps.

Thanks, unfortunately I don't have any wide bore tips other than those included. If anyone has any recommendations and where to get them from then please let me know

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #161 of 340
Thanks, unfortunately I don't have any wide bore tips other than those included. If anyone has any recommendations and where to get them from then please let me know

Spinfit or JVC Spiral Dots. I purchased the JVC tips so I'm waiting for them to come in. Same goes for my IEMs.

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #162 of 340
Instead of small bud tips try large bud tips.  All you need is a seal!

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #163 of 340
Just my own Jupiters. Thanks for the reviews guys. I love these things and IMO they sound almost perfect. I need to try out my copper litz cables and see where that gets me. I get my JVC Spiral Tips on Friday so I hope to report good things from them.

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #164 of 340

The Orion/Jupiter are too big for small ears like ours. here's my comments in the Lyra thread:

"One thing to note about the Jupiters - they are significantly bigger than the Lyra. I have a fairly shallow concha and the Lyra fits nicely in that space. The Jupiter exudes quite significantly from the same space. At a guess i'd say the body is at least 60% deeper and about 30% broader on the Jupiter over the Lyra. Much as I'd like the Jupiter, purely from a sonic perspective, my aural anatomy says no. The Lyra is a pretty good consolation."

Regards,

Giles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back