Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 30, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #13,921 of 19,143
Bump for a worthy thread.
Some nice stuff posted since I last looked.

Another night time walk around the block for some fresh air proves fruitful yet again.
 These were just placed outside under the cover of dark, within minutes of my seeing them due to no condensation on the metal badges , only one block ( around the corner ) from where I found the Sony STR-2800 I put pics of in here.
 Not bad.
I know it's an amp/receiver thread but ..but... these will go with the Sony I found a few weeks back in the same area. So it fits technically.

Sansui SP-1000 's
Some very minor nicks out of the wooden grilles not bad at all with no cracks that can see, badges intact, no gouges out of the cabinets.
These were extremely well kept.
Hopefully they don't have any issues at all, without doubt if they pass obvious inspection I will recap them and get some more "secret filler" for the insides.

I keep waiting for this sort of thing to stop( it will won't it? )
Running out of both room and uses. Might have to use them as stands for the JBL L88 Novas for now.

it's rough

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #13,922 of 19,143
  Bump for a worthy thread.
Some nice stuff posted since I last looked.

Another night time walk around the block for some fresh air proves fruitful yet again.
 These were just placed outside under the cover of dark, within minutes of my seeing them due to no condensation on the metal badges , only one block ( around the corner ) from where I found the Sony STR-2800 I put pics of in here.
 Not bad.
I know it's an amp/receiver thread but ..but... these will go with the Sony I found a few weeks back in the same area. So it fits technically.

Sansui SP-1000 's
Some very minor nicks out of the wooden grilles not bad at all with no cracks that can see, badges intact, no gouges out of the cabinets.
These were extremely well kept.
Hopefully they don't have any issues at all, without doubt if they pass obvious inspection I will recap them and get some more "secret filler" for the insides.

I keep waiting for this sort of thing to stop( it will won't it? )
Running out of both room and uses. Might have to use them as stands for the JBL L88 Novas for now.

it's rough

I've had those and a few of their bigger brothers. Some were pretty darn good, others not too bad. No real duds.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #13,923 of 19,143
So Santa came a few days late for me, but I suppose it's because he had such a heavy sleigh.
That is to say - I liked my Sony STR-6120 so much that I have bought my second and third in quick succession. 
Both have the optional walnut case, but one is literally the nicest I have ever seen. Full recap, LED upgrade, low hours, flawless case, the works. The other is a tad above average, but still looking good. I'm in heaven. And a little bit the doghouse, but it is WORTH IT!
Thank goodness my wife is so understanding!
Sorry the pictures are so-so, the wife was kind enough to take them for me. 
beyersmile.png

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #13,924 of 19,143
^^ Hah good ole Santa! 

They're stunning and it makes sense to stick with what you know when you get to a certain stage in this vintage hobby. 

(I moved into the doghouse some time ago... Much more peaceful haha) 

Congrats 
beerchug.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #13,925 of 19,143
  ^^ Hah good ole Santa! 

They're stunning and it makes sense to stick with what you know when you get to a certain stage in this vintage hobby. 

(I moved into the doghouse some time ago... Much more peaceful haha) 

Congrats 
beerchug.gif

+1 They gorgeous!

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #13,926 of 19,143
I have been a doghouse resident a number of times myself.  Have any of you seen this JCPenny Doghouse video?  Darn funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyduncFpzl4

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #13,927 of 19,143
  I have been a doghouse resident a number of times myself.  Have any of you seen this JCPenny Doghouse video?  Darn funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyduncFpzl4

Ok, that video was kind of amazing!
I'm not in the doghouse that badly, fortunately. Even the wife can tell good sound when she hears it. And she likes how pretty they are. I'm keeping her around for good haha.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #13,928 of 19,143

Not exactly vintage, but certainty elderly...

I saved this early 90's Denon PMA-860 from my mother's basement, where it was used as part of a laserdisc karaoke system. I'm using it to drive HE-6 off the speaker taps. (The bamboo box on top houses an L-pad resistor network to attenuate the voltage.) Initial impressions: dry, slightly warm presentation. Very tight controlled bass. Soundstage is wide and pinpoint. A good fit for strings and orchestral music. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #13,929 of 19,143
Nice find Mo!
Nice simple faceplate design.
 Looks pretty good.

Also  googled the insides right away. ( It is a Class A I didn't zoom in on your picture first )
+Tone bypass"direct source"
beerchug.gif

Extra good score now.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #13,930 of 19,143
Thanks, nick! I don't know how I'd overlooked it in the basement (or how long it's been since it was last turned on.)

Very non-fatiguing sound quality. My only wish is that it had a pre-out and a main-in so I could add a little tube pre-amp in front of it. Once I've enjoyed it for a bit, I'll open it up and see how the caps look and check the bias. Man, I love free stuff.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #13,931 of 19,143
Not sure I could ever get a fullsized without a tone bypass in it. Just me.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #13,932 of 19,143
Here's my latest toy. The Nakamichi TA-3A. I consider it vintage since it is about 25 years old.

I've had it for a while, but it was in non-working condition. Would not power on. Took me a while to figure it out. The small start-up transformer had broken free of the solder pads. After securing and using jumpers to bridge the broken pads I got power. However still couldn't get any sound. Digging deeper I found some large resistors that were elevated off of the main amp board had also broken their solder pads. I think this unit was dropped at some point, or maybe shipped on its side across country? Also had to get really creative to fix the knobs which had all virtually disintegrated. I think it cleaned up nice. Wish I had taken a "before" pic.

Anyway, still going through it and waiting on some parts to upgrade it as per the service alerts in the manual and known issues with undersized resistors. But, while I was testing it I had my beater AKG K240's (600Ω) plugged in and it was the best I have ever heard them. Deep thunderous bass and clear highs with a very articulate sound. Can't wait to get this dialed in and swapped into the living room system.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #13,933 of 19,143
Very nice - I believe the Nakamichi TA-3A is a Nelson Pass Stasis design.  Can't go wrong there!

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #13,934 of 19,143
  Here's my latest toy. The Nakamichi TA-3A. I consider it vintage since it is about 25 years old.

I've had it for a while, but it was in non-working condition. Would not power on. Took me a while to figure it out. The small start-up transformer had broken free of the solder pads. After securing and using jumpers to bridge the broken pads I got power. However still couldn't get any sound. Digging deeper I found some large resistors that were elevated off of the main amp board had also broken their solder pads. I think this unit was dropped at some point, or maybe shipped on its side across country? Also had to get really creative to fix the knobs which had all virtually disintegrated. I think it cleaned up nice. Wish I had taken a "before" pic.

Anyway, still going through it and waiting on some parts to upgrade it as per the service alerts in the manual and known issues with undersized resistors. But, while I was testing it I had my beater AKG K240's (600Ω) plugged in and it was the best I have ever heard them. Deep thunderous bass and clear highs with a very articulate sound. Can't wait to get this dialed in and swapped into the living room system.

Congrats fellow Oregonian!  If you need any help with repair work Doug over at Audio Specialties on 102nd Ave in Portland is your guy.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #13,935 of 19,143

Congrats fellow Oregonian!  If you need any help with repair work Doug over at Audio Specialties on 102nd Ave in Portland is your guy.

I am familiar with Audio Specialties. Have yet to need him. I pride myself on being tenacious enough to tackle my own repairs. And when it goes wrong I sheepishly hide it in my garage until it disappears.... lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back