Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 2, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #11,311 of 19,145
  The 752 isn't a tube amp. It's just a very solid, solid state 75W power amp. I basically paid the price of a parts unit in average condition on each of them. You can find that on ebay if you want haha. I tried to get several tube amps over the holiday, but all were gone as soon as they were put up. Seriously, MC275 (2x) (mega expensive, but were gorgeous and a score level good price), fisher 500c (2x, both gone before I could get to them), and a dynaco unit. All gone near instantly. Madness.
Oh yeah, and they came with boxes. Crazy.

Congrats.  I know what it feels like to find a dream setup.  My Spec rack I fell into for $270 and almost didn't make the deal.  Would have been vewwy vewwy sad looking back on that.

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #11,312 of 19,145
The 752 isn't a tube amp. It's just a very solid, solid state 75W power amp. I basically paid the price of a parts unit in average condition on each of them. You can find that on ebay if you want haha. I tried to get several tube amps over the holiday, but all were gone as soon as they were put up. Seriously, MC275 (2x) (mega expensive, but were gorgeous and a score level good price), fisher 500c (2x, both gone before I could get to them), and a dynaco unit. All gone near instantly. Madness.
Oh yeah, and they came with boxes. Crazy.

Put up on craigslist? I wonder if theres some sort of alert app or something that people set up to alert them when that stuff is posted, I'm sure there is though. It is nuts when they vanish so fast. Its just like when I mentioned some on here and they somehow vanish lmao!

For some reason there's really been nothing Marantz posted in Portland, OR craigslist since November except the expensive crap from Investment Audio in Beaverton.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #11,314 of 19,145
Congrats, and welcome to the club!!

I've found the power amps very easy to restore(in the process of restoring one now). The preamps are fairly easy, but requires a bit more fine tuning. I would definitely get the c26 checked out by someone like Terry Dewick. He's a mac legend and his per hour rates are as cheap as they come.

The c26 and c28 have been notorious for being noisy, but once rectified, can sound awesome. The lamps are very cheap as well. If you're decent with an iron, you can even make your own leds like I did. Audio classics sells an led conversion kit for my preamp for 150.00. For around 7.00 I made my own and even had enough parts left to upgrade my amp with leds as well. 

But I can tell you that macs are well worth the effort. And I finally see what the fuss is all about. And what a nice find. I know you must be thrilled to come across a setup like that for the price you paid.

beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #11,315 of 19,145
  But the one that has the most votes of best sounding marantz is the 2285B.

I have read the same thing about the 2285B, with the 2265B also up there in the rankings.

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #11,316 of 19,145
Congrats on the Mc's PhoenixG. Sometimes a little risk pays off big time. He who dares - wins! 

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #11,317 of 19,145

I have read the same thing about the 2285B, with the 2265B also up there in the rankings.

From what I've read and based on my own experience with a 2330b, the b series is a departure from the dark, overly warm marantz house sound. My 2330b was very close to neutral, and just slightly warm. It's was much more transparent and open sounding than the 2325s I've owned. From what I've read, the 2330 non b sounds like a slightly better 2325. But those syrupy sounding marantz do have a lot of fans though. I also like them as well. I find them to be a great cure for bright, analytic type cans. They just don't sound great with everything though.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #11,318 of 19,145
I'd agree with that and the 'b' series being more neutral and open sounding. My b model is actually brighter in the treble than my SX Pioneer.  

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #11,320 of 19,145
There was a Marantz 2325 at audio specialties in mint condition. I don't agree with the price though at $995...

I wanted to get the 2275 that was there but it was gone :/

Went in today just to look around. The $995 unit is still there............and likely will be for awhile.

He got cleaned out at Xmas. Must have sold half his inventory!

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #11,321 of 19,145
Went in today just to look around. The $995 unit is still there............and likely will be for awhile.

He got cleaned out at Xmas. Must have sold half his inventory!

Yeah I saw that... Maybe that's why nothing is on CL either as well. I wish I could get that 2325 but sheesh!

I wonder if he's taking lessons from Investment Audio because they use him to fix their stuff............ Investment audio is nuts with prices and I'm afraid its rubbing off lmao

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #11,322 of 19,145
It is working again :)

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #11,324 of 19,145
Yeahhh.. :) the voltage regulator was bad and the relay. Further the lamps..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back