Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 2, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #11,296 of 19,143
Here they are. I'm note sure if they are any good though. But knowing this place that would charge $80 for a beat up Meddle LP and $90 for an average looking The Wall LP, I am sure the prices would be out of this world nuts. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #11,297 of 19,143
NAD Model 60 coming soon.

Good stuff. Thats one lovely looking NAD, a vintage steel NAD! 

Here they are. I'm note sure if they are any good though. But knowing this place that would charge $80 for a beat up Meddle LP and $90 for an average looking The Wall LP, I am sure the prices would be out of this world nuts. 

Is that inside Hot Poop? Ewww hahah I would maybe ask them how much they are looking for with one of those Mc's and then when they tell you $$$$$$$$$, laugh out loud and say (Jim Carey styley) 're he he eeeaarly?!' and then start to walk out the shop. Once you are at the door, turn around Columbo styley and then say, 'oh, and one more thing.. You may want to invest in an air freshener'. Then proceed to moonwalk Jackson styley out the door. Once out the door, carry on your day as normal 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #11,299 of 19,143
I picked this up on Monday.  A 2215 non-B version - built like a tank.  So far I have not been impressed with any Marantz I have had - but this one is different.  In fact it sounds awesome!  Way better than either 2230 I have had.  Detailed, refined, and very punchy.  Was going to referb and resell but now not so sure.  It has a SN less than 5000 which also means it has the engraved face-plate (not champagne just silver).  Not a mark on it either.  No noisiness in the controls.  So far I just recapped the power supply, cleaned the dust out, and replaced a lamp and am enjoying listening to it.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #11,300 of 19,143

Thats from 1971 as well. Surprised that it sounds as good as you say. But pleased for you! I've been close to buying one of those on a couple of occasions. Think I might give one ago if the chance comes up again :) 

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #11,301 of 19,143
  Thats from 1971 as well. Surprised that it sounds as good as you say. But pleased for you! I've been close to buying one of those on a couple of occasions. Think I might give one ago if the chance comes up again :) 

Thanks much LugBug.  I am surprised too!  But really enjoying it.

By the way - I remember you mentioning that your job was possibly being eliminated.  Did you land on your feet OK?

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #11,303 of 19,143
Yup.  A Sony PS-FL1.  Slide out tray is very handy.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #11,304 of 19,143

Thanks much LugBug.  I am surprised too!  But really enjoying it.

By the way - I remember you mentioning that your job was possibly being eliminated.  Did you land on your feet OK?

Still there bud. Basically the press found out about the redundancies before we did (its a big company here in uk). So they had to tell us the next day, otherwise we probably wouldn't have found out until Feb. Its going to be well into this year even possibly spring/summer before they start gradually letting us go. I've put it in the back burner for now because I can't even leave until they tell me, otherwise I'll lose my redundancy money. I'll have been there 10 year this summer. Thanks for asking though :)

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #11,305 of 19,143
Best of luck, LugBug

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #11,306 of 19,143
I picked this up on Monday.  A 2215 non-B version - built like a tank.  So far I have not been impressed with any Marantz I have had - but this one is different.  In fact it sounds awesome!  Way better than either 2230 I have had.  Detailed, refined, and very punchy.  Was going to referb and resell but now not so sure.  It has a SN less than 5000 which also means it has the engraved face-plate (not champagne just silver).  Not a mark on it either.  No noisiness in the controls.  So far I just recapped the power supply, cleaned the dust out, and replaced a lamp and am enjoying listening to it.

Awesome! I heard the lower wattage marantz sound the best. I love mine to death!!! Of all mine though, the 4270 sounds the best, followed by the 4240, 4400 and then the 2220B.

There was a mint 4270 with wood case for sale on Portland Craigslist for $300 a couple months ago and I pretty much pleaded with the seller to let me buy it but I have a feeling a certain expensive used audio buisness in Beaverton, OR got to it... If they did they'll put it back up for probably $800 or more :/

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #11,307 of 19,143
From everything I've read concerning  the best sounding  marantz receiver, opinions have been all over the place. As far as the best goes you will read 2230, 2270, 2265B, 2325 2285B, 2500/2600. But the one that has the most votes of best sounding marantz is the 2285B. But I've also read that marantz sound quality suffers more than most vintage gear when it comes to bad caps. I talked to one person who says a recapped 2325 with modern output transistors is something special. So that may have something to do with with it. I will say that I've owned two 2325s with one being partially restored and the other just having the main filter caps replaced and they both sounded the same. My personal favorite marantz so far has been the 2330B.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #11,308 of 19,143
I took a risk on this setup sight unseen today -  MC752 amp and C26 preamp. The seller didn't know if any of it worked (estate sale flipper type), was unable to hook it up  (not a clue how it went together), and wasn't able to audition it (no speakers, source, or cables). It was a take it or leave it deal and I'm glad I took it. 
Long story short, the only flaw is an extreme amount of static in the controls and one burnt out bulb. I think a new bulb and some deoxit will make it as good as new. The speakers are XR-14's. At first blush, it seems really lush and crisp. A McIntosh setup is high up on my wish list, and hopefully this one will be a keeper.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #11,309 of 19,143
  I took a risk on this setup sight unseen today -  MC752 amp and C26 preamp. The seller didn't know if any of it worked (estate sale flipper type), was unable to hook it up  (not a clue how it went together), and wasn't able to audition it (no speakers, source, or cables). It was a take it or leave it deal and I'm glad I took it. 
Long story short, the only flaw is an extreme amount of static in the controls and one burnt out bulb. I think a new bulb and some deoxit will make it as good as new. The speakers are XR-14's. At first blush, it seems really lush and crisp. A McIntosh setup is high up on my wish list, and hopefully this one will be a keeper.

Looks like a score.  What did you pay?  Is the Mac a tube amp?

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #11,310 of 19,143

Looks like a score.  What did you pay?  Is the Mac a tube amp?

The 752 isn't a tube amp. It's just a very solid, solid state 75W power amp. I basically paid the price of a parts unit in average condition on each of them. You can find that on ebay if you want haha. I tried to get several tube amps over the holiday, but all were gone as soon as they were put up. Seriously, MC275 (2x) (mega expensive, but were gorgeous and a score level good price), fisher 500c (2x, both gone before I could get to them), and a dynaco unit. All gone near instantly. Madness.
Oh yeah, and they came with boxes. Crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back