Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 18, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #12,331 of 19,140
  Where do you guys keep finding Goodwill stores with such great gear? The best thing I ever found at mine was a $15 Onkyo CD player that wouldn't play the first track of any CD.

I've wondered this for awhile. Each goodwill store I go into is almost all clothes and nothing else but total junk. I'm not fond of going into them so I've stopped as it's just a go in for 20 seconds see there's nothing and get out deal... 

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #12,332 of 19,140
  Does the headphone out relatively tame the "brightness" of the HD800?

Yes, but It doesn't dull the treble at all, just smooths it out. To be fair most good amps do this :) But I'm also from the camp that doesn't think that the HD800 are too bright anyway. 

The old NAD amps have a kind of 'chocolaty' sound. They aren't the last word in detail and transparency but they have such a seductive (and I think natural) tone. They make the Chameleon that is the HD800 sound more planar-esque. More 'liquidy'.    

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #12,333 of 19,140
Where do you guys keep finding Goodwill stores with such great gear? The best thing I ever found at mine was a $15 Onkyo CD player that wouldn't play the first track of any CD.

A lot of the time, the girl at Goodwill holds the stuff for me to look at. :xf_eek:

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #12,334 of 19,140
Turns out I've noticed a few bad things w/ the NAD.

1. There's a 2dB channel imbalance, R>L.
2. the left channel is noticeably brighter than the right.
3. It clicks and pops a little after it's been on for > half an hour.

I turned it over to my electronics guy to check it out, he says he can fix and freshen it up, which I want to do since it's so old and rare.

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #12,335 of 19,140
  Yes, but It doesn't dull the treble at all, just smooths it out. To be fair most good amps do this :) But I'm also from the camp that doesn't think that the HD800 are too bright anyway. 

The old NAD amps have a kind of 'chocolaty' sound. They aren't the last word in detail and transparency but they have such a seductive (and I think natural) tone. They make the Chameleon that is the HD800 sound more planar-esque. More 'liquidy'.    

The NAD headphone out has quite a high output impedance.

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #12,336 of 19,140
Turns out I've noticed a few bad things w/ the NAD.

1. There's a 2dB channel imbalance, R>L.
2. the left channel is noticeably brighter than the right.
3. It clicks and pops a little after it's been on for > half an hour.

I turned it over to my electronics guy to check it out, he says he can fix and freshen it up, which I want to do since it's so old and rare.

Shame about that, but yes I would get it fixed up. I would personally pay through the nose for that machine in good condition.

The NAD headphone out has quite a high output impedance.

Yup bud, it suits the high impedance of the Senn's very well. Also, they're the only vintage amps where I don't get any 'hiss like' noise at all through the headphone out with the HD800 both at no volume and turned up. Black backround, as good as any good dedicated amp. And believe me this is rare with vintage amps and the sensitive Senn's!

I also have a 7125 NAD receiver (same age as the early 3020) and this doesn't have the 20db mute. But is still quiet as a mouse surprisingly. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #12,337 of 19,140
My stereo guy said the damping factor on the NAD I have is very high for its age, >40 into 8 Ohms. Wouldn't that imply that the HP-out would be pretty low resistance, since it runs off the same circuit, with only a couple resistors in the path for safety?

I got an email from saying he's going to recap it with tighter tolerance parts, and replace a good bit of the relays. Plus swap the volume pot with a fine-stepped attenuator.

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #12,338 of 19,140
I am still flippin out over this thing. The loudness button is like the best/cleanest bass boost I have ever heard literally/period/ever/ with no noticeable fogging up of the midrange. Its better than the emotiva mini with speaker taps I had. I also dont know if I bought a good one because I was too young to care when these things came out.
I have never been so happy with a purchase ever in my whole life!!!
deadhorse.gif

NEWB Questions.

1. Did I buy a good one?( I know my ears say yes but I will upgrade if necessary)
2. Why would anyone buy an expensive amp over these(besides desk to realestate)
I guess at this point I am dependent on the guy at the store to tell me which one is the best in sound quality. He recommended this one for the price and wouldn't even waiver in opinion on it vs any of the others in its price range. 
3. would something like this do the same thing through the headphone out or does it have to be vintage? http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS500/Yamaha-R-S500.html?tp=47041

I dont know... excuse my elation but I am trippin out right now. For 150 its impossible, in every sense of the word impossible, to beat this unless someone gives you one for free. Something I would do just to share the joy(if I could find another).

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #12,339 of 19,140
My stereo guy said the damping factor on the NAD I have is very high for its age, >40 into 8 Ohms. Wouldn't that imply that the HP-out would be pretty low resistance, since it runs off the same circuit, with only a couple resistors in the path for safety?

I got an email from saying he's going to recap it with tighter tolerance parts, and replace a good bit of the relays. Plus swap the volume pot with a fine-stepped attenuator.

That would explain a lot actually. Maybe that is why I'm getting such a black backround. It would also explain why my Grado's sound great aswell !..

That is very helpful information thank you. 

Look forward to impressions once he has done his thing. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #12,340 of 19,140
  I am still flippin out over this thing. 
I have never been so happy with a purchase ever in my whole life!!!
deadhorse.gif

In all honesty buddy, you'll be hard to find many amps that are better through the hp out than old NAD's (IN MY EXPERIENCE!) 

You've struck gold very early.  

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #12,342 of 19,140
Best I've found so far at the local thrift stores is an old Pioneer SX-450 and a Sony CDP-302 CD Player - both for $10 each. 

The SX-450 only needed the controls cleaned (crunchy and noisy), and the CD player needed the lens cleaned, and the old dried-up grease removed. It then got a good thin white lithium grease applied to the loading rails and gears.  Man it sure does load quietly and quickly now.
cool.gif

I love the transport system used in that old player, they sure don't make 'em like that anymore.  Almost 15-pounds and mostly metal, love the build quality of the old Sony players.

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #12,343 of 19,140
  Best I've found so far at the local thrift stores is an old Pioneer SX-450 and a Sony CDP-302 CD Player - both for $10 each. 

The SX-450 only needed the controls cleaned (crunchy and noisy), and the CD player needed the lens cleaned, and the old dried-up grease removed. It then got a good thin white lithium grease applied to the loading rails and gears.  Man it sure does load quietly and quickly now.
cool.gif

I love the transport system used in that old player, they sure don't make 'em like that anymore.  Almost 15-pounds and mostly metal, love the build quality of the old Sony players.

Pics..................please....................

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #12,344 of 19,140

Users who are viewing this thread

Back