Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 11, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #12,287 of 19,142
Went to an estate sale today where they had a Fisher 500c for sale. Another guy beat me to it, but both he and I passed on it as they wanted $1000 for it and could not say if it was operational.  I think that is the only vintage piece that would make me think about selling my SX1250.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #12,288 of 19,142
  Went to an estate sale today where they had a Fisher 500c for sale. Another guy beat me to it, but both he and I passed on it as they wanted $1000 for it and could not say if it was operational.  I think that is the only vintage piece that would make me think about selling my SX1250.

That is insane money for one of those, especially in an untested state! Maybe if it had been fully redone by a known guru...
You don't need one of them to have a nice night listening to your music. Watch your 1250's needles dance!

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #12,289 of 19,142
  That is insane money for one of those, especially in an untested state! Maybe if it had been fully redone by a known guru...
You don't need one of them to have a nice night listening to your music. Watch your 1250's needles dance!

Agree - no way I was taking a chance - unfortunately no power meters on the 1250 - but it kicks backside just the same!

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #12,290 of 19,142
Wow untested and 1000.00? Restored yes, but man these fisher prices are getting insane. I was in negotiation with a guy once who wanted way too much for a vintage piece I was interested in. When I pointed out what the going rate was, he countered with how much it would cost to get something modern that sounded as good. So of course I passed, but the darn thing sold a couple of days later.:eek:

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #12,291 of 19,142
haven't seen many mentions of older JVC gear.  the older receiver i have (even though i have no use for the tuner, radio reception is fine), is certainly not "classic" by any stretch (since it certainly won't win any awards in the looks dept!)

but, the headphone out on this thing is impressive.  i'm using it as a headphone amp only, anyway, as i have the CARVER connected to speakers.

the JVC drives my AKG 701's quite nicely.  (brings out the bass quality and texture, w/o just adding more "boom").  the headphone output has noticeably more "slam" and "impact", which makes it good if you're in the mood to hear some classic BOSTON, or other hard-driving stuff.  it's a good amp if you want to hear something loud at 2:00am

the CARVER, i'll reserve for piano-based, trio jazz (when i want a more finely-detailed, "refined" listen).

the JVC wears the blue jeans, but can't wear a tie.  the JVC is  not the kind of piece that you look foreward to "showing off" to anybody, but like i say...the h/p out on this thing rocks!

it's the RX-317.

c'mon, guys.  let's show some love for the old "japanese victor" legacy!

i must be in the minority as far as appreciating this amp, because after looking it up i didn't come across many reviews on it, either good or bad.        

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #12,292 of 19,142
  haven't seen many mentions of older JVC gear.  the older receiver i have (even though i have no use for the tuner, radio reception is fine), is certainly not "classic" by any stretch (since it certainly won't win any awards in the looks dept!)

but, the headphone out on this thing is impressive.  i'm using it as a headphone amp only, anyway, as i have the CARVER connected to speakers.

the JVC drives my AKG 701's quite nicely.  (brings out the bass quality and texture, w/o just adding more "boom").  the headphone output has noticeably more "slam" and "impact", which makes it good if you're in the mood to hear some classic BOSTON, or other hard-driving stuff.  it's a good amp if you want to hear something loud at 2:00am

the CARVER, i'll reserve for piano-based, trio jazz (when i want a more finely-detailed, "refined" listen).

the JVC wears the blue jeans, but can't wear a tie.  the JVC is  not the kind of piece that you look foreward to "showing off" to anybody, but like i say...the h/p out on this thing rocks!

it's the RX-317.

c'mon, guys.  let's show some love for the old "japanese victor" legacy!

i must be in the minority as far as appreciating this amp, because after looking it up i didn't come across many reviews on it, either good or bad.        

Good stuff. Yeah I found that the AKG 701's work really well with these older amps in general. Helps to add some meat on to the bones - so to speak.
I've not had much experience with JVC, but when I was a teenager I had a JVC midi system (1980's) and it lasted me years and I thought it sounded great. My dad is a hifi nut and he chose it for me so I know it must have been good enough. JVC is a very old company and kind of a 'Jack of all trades' pioneers in Japan with tv's and they introduced VHS!  Although their hifi gear is respectable, I don't think it could compete with the big names such as Pioneer, Sansui, Kenwood, Marantz for e.g. Their more commercial hifi stuff became much more popular in the 80's and 90's. A quick google and you can see some lovely looking machines. But I must stress that I've not heard any real vintage JVC so pinch of salt required with my generalisations.  

This hobby is all about finding gold in the strangest of places! It can also be frustrating if you find a an 'oddity' or an amp that no-one has documented and it sounds effing marvelous to you! But the more we document these old machines then the more helpful it is for all of us. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #12,293 of 19,142

She cleaned up great and sounds amazing. She belonged to my dads best friend. He found out I've been collecting vintage audio via my dad and he offered to let me have his sx-1980 to clean up and use as long as I don't ever sell it! To think he had this sitting in his basement for years unused!

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #12,294 of 19,142
Sounds like a good deal to me joe! 

Took the liberty of expanding this pic. Absolutely gorgeous!! Super condition.

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #12,295 of 19,142
  I am curious about vintage preamps. Have any of you tried to compare them with vintage receivers or integrateds? My thought process is that they might have lower output impedance but still enough power for the majority of headphones.

You have to know EXACTLY what you are doing. Without at least some basic understanding and knowledge in electronics - forget it, as it is very easy to make irreparable damage,both to preamp and phones.

Otherwise - Perreaux SM-2 ( or 3 ) preamp - PROPERLY modified to drive dynamic headphones - runs rings, alfas, betas, omegas and Ž - s ( a letter after THE Z IN OUR ALPHABET ) around anything yet mentioned in this thread. It is a class A device with + - 45 V power supply ( with MORE capacitance than most POWER amps...) - 
and simply has to be heard to be believed. 

There is one preamp that I am slooooowly putting in my crosshairs - Great American Sound Thaedra.  This thing is reportedly one of if not THE best solid state preamps ver made - and sports a KILLER pair of headphone jacks on the front plate - NOT some afterthought as in most cases, there is  proper headphone amp section built in the Thaedra. .

Thaedra is relatively very rare, HAS to be refurbished due to age, therefore after all is said and done, it can never be cheap. But if you are after the end game ...

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #12,296 of 19,142
Thanks for the absolutely great information. It seems that you have spent some time, effort and money in discovering these gems. I am not really thinking about modifying preamps as my knowledge of electronics is poor at best. Hopefully sometime in the future. Any others that you have run across that have a good headphone out( preferably cheaper than a thaedra!) ?

Apr 12, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #12,297 of 19,142
  Thanks for the absolutely great information. It seems that you have spent some time, effort and money in discovering these gems. I am not really thinking about modifying preamps as my knowledge of electronics is poor at best. Hopefully sometime in the future. Any others that you have run across that have a good headphone out( preferably cheaper than a thaedra!) ?

Listening to http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/
A DIY PORTABLE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER WITH USB-DAC​
as I write this ( lazy me - did not stuff the DAC section - YET ) - made by myself, with all the bells & wistles I could *still* somehow incorporate, beg, borrow, steal or "procure". You can go crazy with power supply(ies...) - depending how much juice your cans require. But - even if you stick strictly to the supplied instructions - it is still a great sounding amp - if your cans can survive with a single 9V battery as power supply, portable to boot. It offers a very decent crossfeed feature - it may be necessary to compensate for the (sliigt) loss of the LF in crossfeed mode with ( GOOD ! ) tone controls - but paired with decent cans, can  project most "out of the head" listening soundstage. Pushing one of the very best IEMs regarding soundstage at the moment  -  the Havi B3 ( Original Version ) 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi-b3-pro-1-appreciation-thread

No one can accuse you being a spendthrift with this one - but if put together well, guaranteed to produce 
atsmile.gif
 !

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #12,298 of 19,142

She cleaned up great and sounds amazing. She belonged to my dads best friend. He found out I've been collecting vintage audio via my dad and he offered to let me have his sx-1980 to clean up and use as long as I don't ever sell it! To think he had this sitting in his basement for years unused!

What an awesome guy to do that for you...................congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back