Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #9,301 of 19,143
Quote:
Cheers bud, I get so much fulfilment from cleaning these old beauties up. 
Thats right. It's a shame the SA-508 didn't get the wood casing like it's transatlantic cousin. We like like wood over here too ha! 

Talking about wood. I'm currently very excitable at the mo..! Enjoying one of my tester recordings (Barbers Violin Concerto - Gil Shaham) and the power and  dynamics are really something. This is why I love this vintage stuff. It's not the most detailed amp I've heard, but it renders the music with such authority and power. All encapsulated in a pool of warm syrup. Haaaah. 
size]

If you like Barber concerto, here some of "more of the same" http://www.amazon.com/Menotti-Barber-Violin-Concertos-Ricci/dp/B00000158X
I like Menotti very much too. Not familiar with Gil Shaham rendition of Barber.

Now if you say you've got that Ricci on RR on vinyl, I will go traffic light colour with envy ...

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #9,302 of 19,143
Quote:
If you like Barber concerto, here some of "more of the same" http://www.amazon.com/Menotti-Barber-Violin-Concertos-Ricci/dp/B00000158X
I like Menotti very much too. Not familiar with Gil Shaham rendition of Barber.

Now if you say you've got that Ricci on RR on vinyl, I will go traffic light colour with envy ...

I haven't got either of those recordings but I'm defo going to check them out. If I get a shiver up my spine during the Andante then I'll know its good :wink:

The Gil Shaham recording is fave tester recording of mine, the recording is amazing. Early nineties digital, the LSO with previn. You also get a very good rendition of Korngold's violin show piece. Highly recommended.

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #9,303 of 19,143
So I can't find any high power Marntz or Pioneer units where the seller isn't grossly over-inflating the value, or too far away, or unloads it the day before I get to it.  My Dad knows I am into this kind of stuff and I think he just picked up a working 2270 for $20.

damn.

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #9,304 of 19,143
Quote:
I haven't got either of those recordings but I'm defo going to check them out. If I get a shiver up my spine during the Andante then I'll know its good :wink:

The Gil Shaham recording is fave tester recording of mine, the recording is amazing. Early nineties digital, the LSO with previn. You also get a very good rendition of Korngold's violin show piece. Highly recommended.

Mmmmm - Korngold too. I do not remember it from my CD retail days - damn !

Caution with Ricci recordings - there are two versions. Digital recording on Varese Sarabande and analog recording on Reference Recordings, made parallel at the same recording session(s). RR sounds better - even transferred to CD at then SOTA converters etc. 

That is why I remarked about RR vinyl - it is one of THE analog recordings to play in order to chill out after your audiophile friends and Also Sprach Zarathustras and Pines of Rome and other similar blockbusters have left. Ricci's dark tone of his Guarneri violin is very well served on this LP, very similar to what I can remember from his performance in duo with guitarist Eliot Fisk at our Modern Gallery in mid 90s. While writing this post, I sadly discovered Ruggiero Ricci passed away in 2012 - at that concert I saw him live, he celebrated his 60th year of performing ( he started at 6 ! ) - and that was almost 20 years ago !

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #9,305 of 19,143
Quote:
If you hear your speakers sounding bad, looking at the few electrolytic caps on top of the crossover is worthwhile, it's not like the speakers will become a doorstop if you do not replace those caps, unlike an amplifier.
From your exuberance, it would appear all is in order with the crossovers and the original parts, as it was meant to be.
New style binding posts are a nice upgrade.
Unless you are up for an experiment with your classic speakers, changing out the original caps may very well affect the tone you know and enjoy right now.
Why stop at the three caps? The whole crossover and attenuators can be swapped out for 'better' a.k.a 'newer'...
You can test Frequency Response with equipment but just to change out caps because "it's time" doesn't always pan out the way you might think.
I don't expect to sway anyone from replacing older caps on their crossovers, if it sounds good right now will they sound even better afterwards?
Swap them out scottiebabie, post your results, looks like you are going to dig right into them, might as well get at those caps while doing all your refurbishing.
I'm still diggin' mine with the original crossover capacitors, if the Yamaha's start to sound thin, I'll take a look at the board.

Here's a huge thread on NS 1000 mods:
Refurbishing Yamaha NS 1000M's
NS 1000's are easy to drive which leads to a false sense of confidence, you can easily drive a small amp to clipping which could damage the tweeter and mid range unit, so no running them wide open.
These speakers need muscle behind them, hence the 150W recommendation, well above the 100W speaker rating, no worries about clipping at volume when having drinks and getting your groove on.
By the same token if you get cocky with a big 300W amp, it may not clip but still exceed the thermal and mechanical limits in the speaker and will kill them quickly as clipping a small amp.

Like I said, I have personally run 160W into these at full volume playing rock music for a couple songs and they handled it beautifully, kind of like blowing the carbon out of an old Corvette...

yup my NS1k sounds great to my ears! i gotta say one strange thing happened - on the big DK amp when i 1st got the yamis, i had to turn up the dial close to 12o'clock or even higher for my usual listening volume. then a bout a day later, the NS1k suddenly opened up & i can barely turn it past 9o'clock. any ideas?

yes i order a 5way binding posts with the exact bracket meant from NS1ks off ebay so i can hookup some real cables instead of the cheap radioshack 18g im using cos of the spring posts.

ps:my DK amp is rated at 150w@8ohm til 800w@1.5ohm so lots of current for them

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #9,306 of 19,143
Quote:
Mmmmm - Korngold too. I do not remember it from my CD retail days - damn !

Caution with Ricci recordings - there are two versions. Digital recording on Varese Sarabande and analog recording on Reference Recordings, made parallel at the same recording session(s). RR sounds better - even transferred to CD at then SOTA converters etc. 

That is why I remarked about RR vinyl - it is one of THE analog recordings to play in order to chill out after your audiophile friends and Also Sprach Zarathustras and Pines of Rome and other similar blockbusters have left. Ricci's dark tone of his Guarneri violin is very well served on this LP, very similar to what I can remember from his performance in duo with guitarist Eliot Fisk at our Modern Gallery in mid 90s. While writing this post, I sadly discovered Ruggiero Ricci passed away in 2012 - at that concert I saw him live, he celebrated his 60th year of performing ( he started at 6 ! ) - and that was almost 20 years ago !

Wow you clearly know your stuff. Yeah (sorry if this is boring guys but..) I've been into classical music most of my adult life. Even when I used to play in rock bands. I grew up with it- my dad is to blame.

Shame I don't use vinyl now.. When my son is a bit older I might risk having a turntable again. 

Anyways, nice to know there is someone else here who appreciates the classics. I'm lucky enough to have a new and really amazing music venue called The Sage near where I live. I've seen from Mozart opera's to Birtwistle. More recently a very impressive Wagner Ring.

My fave composers will always be Bach n' Beethoven...They may not have had Mozart's natural gift, but they put the work in. (I have a huge soft spot for Prokofiev too.. Still very underrated IMO) 

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #9,307 of 19,143
Quote:
So I can't find any high power Marntz or Pioneer units where the seller isn't grossly over-inflating the value, or too far away, or unloads it the day before I get to it.  My Dad knows I am into this kind of stuff and I think he just picked up a working 2270 for $20.

damn.

You have a cool dad!! He literally stole (robbed) Marantz 2270 for you. A good condition Marantz 2270 easily fetches around $350. If it has wooden case, then $500.

Being said, Marantz 2270, 2230 are sonically different to other 22xx, many people think they are best sounding among all 22xx models. Congrats!
beerchug.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #9,308 of 19,143
Quote:
You have a cool dad!! He literally stole (robbed) Marantz 2270 for you. A good condition Marantz 2270 easily fetches around $350. If it has wooden case, then $500.

Being said, Marantz 2270, 2230 are sonically different to other 22xx, many people think they are best sounding among all 22xx models. Congrats!
beerchug.gif

Oh, yeah I know.  He has no idea what he has.  To make matters worse, he isn't going to give it to me as far as I can tell.  It will probably end up matted to some Wal-Mart speakers and iBuds!  Must think of something I can trade him......

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #9,309 of 19,143
on the big DK amp when i 1st got the yamis, i had to turn up the dial close to 12o'clock or even higher for my usual listening volume. then a bout a day later, the NS1k suddenly opened up & i can barely turn it past 9o'clock. any ideas?

I know before the big V-FET B-1 warms up, I set the volume past 12:00 once I hear that familiar 'ping' from the heat sink about an hour in I have to dial it back below 12:00 the sound gets stronger as the amplifier warms up.
Generally I'm running it at half volume most of the time on the Yamaha preamp.

One more thing regarding sound stage, see that you have the tweeters on your mirrored Yam speakers oriented to the outside, like Yamaha engineers recommend, you may find more spacious sound.
Monitors are sometimes positioned on the side too, experiment with your room which I hope is not grandiose.
My findings correlate with the likewise mirrored JBL L112 speaker instruction manual: speakers positioned LESS than 10 feet apart tweeters face outboard, speakers MORE than 10 feet apart tweeters face inboard.

You really should clean those attenuator dials, they do affect volume and sound quality.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #9,311 of 19,143
Not so much of a receiver bug, Meewoo.
If I do get big eyes, it is for the Yamaha CR 3020.
I posted the Yam stuff a couple years back but it's not eye candy, more along the lines of a military grey airbus cockpit.

I believe wualta has a B-2 amplifier, he knows what time it is when the music starts to play!

I know, wualta is a FET digger.
Did we get CR-3020 in this thread?

*I searched 3020 and come up with a page of NAD and you mentioning a CR 3020 two years ago Ha Ha, no TOTL Yamaha receiver yet...*

Parts are scarce for the big Technics, Hitachi and Yamaha big boys, I'm already walking one of the most dangerous high wires in vintage audio owning a V-FET power amplifier where parts come from even rarer salvage units.

You make us FET guys sound like perverts, heh.

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #9,314 of 19,143
Quote:
Wow you clearly know your stuff. Yeah (sorry if this is boring guys but..) I've been into classical music most of my adult life. Even when I used to play in rock bands. I grew up with it- my dad is to blame.

Shame I don't use vinyl now.. When my son is a bit older I might risk having a turntable again. 

Anyways, nice to know there is someone else here who appreciates the classics. I'm lucky enough to have a new and really amazing music venue called The Sage near where I live. I've seen from Mozart opera's to Birtwistle. More recently a very impressive Wagner Ring.

My fave composers will always be Bach n' Beethoven...They may not have had Mozart's natural gift, but they put the work in. (I have a huge soft spot for Prokofiev too.. Still very underrated IMO) 

Yes, what we grew up with will influence us - like it or not. This being a vintage thread, I just might post the machine that put indellible impression on me musically from the early age. Sadly, did not decide to start playing an instrument when I had a chance. Zither - that would have been an interesting journey for sure !

Not having a turntable is understandable in the presence of small children.

Getting a bit late (3:00 AM) to write about musical venues over here - some other time.

Prokofiev is also in my premier echelon of composers.

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #9,315 of 19,143
Quote:
Heres the new Pioneer :) It needed a good clean. The insides were coated in 30 years of dust. I painstakingly removed it with a fine paint brush and then got to work squirting the pots. Polished the knobs, fascia and bingo good as (nearly) new. Unfortunately the power lead is about 2 foot long... So I'm having use an extension to reach my mains filter which I'm not happy about. So I'll be fixing an adapter asap. 

To say I'm delighted with the sound would be an understatement. It sounds better than my SX550, better because it has a more syrupy sound, a little warmer. Just as detailed but smoother. Big and controlled. 

It just oozes quality when using the stepped volume and tone controls and the tone's work well.  

The lowly SA-508  

Welcome to the family LugBug! Meet your American cousin (well, Canadian actually - I bought it in Montreal):

Mine is back in my office closet unfortunately. I just have no use for it right now...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back