Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 23, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #9,286 of 19,143
Quote:
Lug Bug said..................
beerchug.gif

So who's your football team that you support?   Could it be Chelsea? 

I am a Chelsea fan for the following reason - my daughter played a high level club football (not soccer) for the past six years, winning the Oregon state championship 4 of 5 years, and her team name was Chelsea.  She just got back from study abroad in Denmark, spent the last few days in London and went to the opener against Hull on Saturday!  I watched it here in Oregon on the telly................you have ME speaking the King's English now! 

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #9,287 of 19,143
Quote:
Hi ScottieB,
you know this is a staple out east:

Hope Calgary is doing you right.
Nice to see you've collected a pair of NS 1000M.

My experience is to leave the crossovers alone, unless there is an obvious fault.
Focus on the high and mid attenuator switches, sometimes just working them all the way back and forth is enough to keep the contact surfaces clean, these switches are the speakers weak link.

At some point you will have to remove the faceplate, position the knob to 'Normal' and pull it straight off.
Beneath is a nut and washer that will release the high quality L-Pad, with plated copper windings and a plated solid copper wiper.
Spray into the ceramic body with DeoxIT and work the switch.

In searching for an amplifier to power them, I'm afraid few receivers or mid range amplifiers will let them shine.
Having those speakers go from "very good" to 'incredible' does take a quality amplifier, preferably separates in my experience.
Certainly you will hear the difference when hooked to an appropriate amp, I found 150W solid state and up to be about right for me.
I didn't play much with valves, these were hooked to a pair of Manley Neo-Classic SE / PP 300B for years and I've listened through a McIntosh MC 240 with my favorite 6L6GC tubes.

I am using the matching original Yamaha C1 preamp and VFET B1 power amp, it is 160W.
NS speakers are very dependent on program material, I've had them fully cranked for a favorite song using a Bryston BDP-1 digital player with a Bel Canto dac.
Fast, accurate and a sphere of sound center stage as you sit eight feet away in the sweet spot, a really good system.
Enjoy your music.

FYI, the speaker cabinets for NS 1000Ms were made in Slovenia by Alples in Železniki. In neighbouring Jelovica forest Stradivari hand picked the wood for his best violins.

And TOTL Marantz preamps ( maybe power amp PCBs too ) from 80s have been assembled and QCed at Institute Josef Stefan in Ljubljana - certainly far better qualified institution than any regular manufacturer.

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #9,288 of 19,143
@5aces AK is more an "eastern" brew & i kinda like my smaller Albertan micro brews!!! lols. yup Calgarys been more than good as Albertas where the work is...... OIL & GAS baby!!! hahahah

picked up the NS1k on 2 Sundays back & i have to admit its been a game changer for me. macro/micro details rivals what im getting from the T1/HD800 while superceding the dynamic duo in clarity, dynamics & transient response ie. speed! indeed both those cans sound fuzzy when i put them on right after the NS1k! 

yes am planning to pullout the Lpad & do a bit of deoxit'in, recapping & perhaps even refinishing them with an exotic burl veneer. why would u not recommend recapping the Xovers? 

the Sansui AU-517 just dont the mustard on them. my Audio Space 300b drives them with very nice with a delicate (almost flowery) airiness. bass is tight & organic esp on the 4ohm outs. and if this is all i have heard, i think i would have lived quite happily. however knowledge is a terrible thing & once i hooked up the DK amp, its was over for me. i gots speed, i gots details, i gots air, i gots big super tight bass, i gots extension & most importantly, i gots the "live" im-am-there! been listening & rediscovering my albums this past week everychance i get. & these NS1k goes LOUD! LOVE 'EM!

the one obvious fly in the ointment for me is soundstage esp depth isnt up there with the best.

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #9,289 of 19,143
Quote:
So who's your football team that you support?   Could it be Chelsea? 

I am a Chelsea fan for the following reason - my daughter played a high level club football (not soccer) for the past six years, winning the Oregon state championship 4 of 5 years, and her team name was Chelsea.  She just got back from study abroad in Denmark, spent the last few days in London and went to the opener against Hull on Saturday!  I watched it here in Oregon on the telly................you have ME speaking the King's English now! 

*cough* erm... 'Newcastle United'!!! 

Thats great about your daughter, you must be proud as punch! :)

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #9,290 of 19,143
Quote:
Quote:
With enough Ale,
tongue_smile.gif
 it'll look okay!

It is/was a cardboard beer mat ( non plastified ) - it could wind up looking far worse after a single evening of real action. They used to change them at least daily. From which hole did the seller of this by now truly mega rare version dig it is beyond me.

This specimen is 45 + years old - I know, they changed design in early 70s 
L3000.gif
 - and on "pivogon" 
cool.gif
 scale it would still score 5/10 ! . 

smiley_thumb.gif
 This is great. Though, I need to reset my reply. We both sent posts within three minutes - I was actually replying to LugBug1 who posted:

"Just got Pioneer so I'll be posting some pix soon. It's needing quite a clean up..."

This, so it doesn't appear that I've been drinking... and posting. 
smile.png

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #9,291 of 19,143
Heres the new Pioneer :) It needed a good clean. The insides were coated in 30 years of dust. I painstakingly removed it with a fine paint brush and then got to work squirting the pots. Polished the knobs, fascia and bingo good as (nearly) new. Unfortunately the power lead is about 2 foot long... So I'm having use an extension to reach my mains filter which I'm not happy about. So I'll be fixing an adapter asap. 

To say I'm delighted with the sound would be an understatement. It sounds better than my SX550, better because it has a more syrupy sound, a little warmer. Just as detailed but smoother. Big and controlled. 

It just oozes quality when using the stepped volume and tone controls and the tone's work well.  

The lowly SA-508  

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #9,292 of 19,143
Quote:
Heres the new Pioneer :) It needed a good clean. The insides were coated in 30 years of dust. I painstakingly removed it with a fine paint brush and then got to work squirting the pots. Polished the knobs, fascia and bingo good as (nearly) new. Unfortunately the power lead is about 2 foot long... So I'm having use an extension to reach my mains filter which I'm not happy about. So I'll be fixing an adapter asap. 

To say I'm delighted with the sound would be an understatement. It sounds better than my SX550, better because it has a more syrupy sound, a little warmer. Just as detailed but smoother. Big and controlled. 

It just oozes quality when using the stepped volume and tone controls and the tone's work well.  

The lowly SA-508  

Dayum!! 
size]
  Nice!! 
size]

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #9,293 of 19,143

The lowly SA-508  

Gorgeous.........

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #9,297 of 19,143
Quote:

The lowly SA-508  

Nice work!

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #9,298 of 19,143
It was called SA-5800 in the USA (marketing people are so funny that they think they will sell more in different areas by using a different number ).

Interesting that it has the same meters as the SA-9800.

It is an SX-580 without a tuner, assuming they used the same circuits in both lines...

PS  Pardew - like or "out" ?

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #9,299 of 19,143
Quote:

Cheers bud, I get so much fulfilment from cleaning these old beauties up. 
Quote:
It was called SA-5800 in the USA (marketing people are so funny that they think they will sell more in different areas by using a different number ).

Interesting that it has the same meters as the SA-9800.

It is an SX-580 without a tuner, assuming they used the same circuits in both lines...

Thats right. It's a shame the SA-508 didn't get the wood casing like it's transatlantic cousin. We like like wood over here too ha! 

Talking about wood. I'm currently very excitable at the mo..! Enjoying one of my tester recordings (Barbers Violin Concerto - Gil Shaham) and the power and  dynamics are really something. This is why I love this vintage stuff. It's not the most detailed amp I've heard, but it renders the music with such authority and power. All encapsulated in a pool of warm syrup. Haaaah. 
size]

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #9,300 of 19,143
why would u not recommend recapping the Xovers? 

If you hear your speakers sounding bad, looking at the few electrolytic caps on top of the crossover is worthwhile but it's not like the speakers will become a doorstop if you don't replace those caps, unlike an amplifier.
From your exuberance, it would appear all is in order with the crossovers and the original parts, as it was meant to be.
New style binding posts are a nice upgrade.
Unless you are up for an experiment with your classic speakers, changing out the original caps may very well affect the tone you know and enjoy right now.
Why stop at the three caps? The whole crossover and attenuators can be swapped out for 'better' a.k.a 'newer'...
You can test Frequency Response with equipment but just to change out caps because "it's time" doesn't always pan out the way you might think.
I don't expect to sway anyone from replacing older caps on their crossovers, if it sounds good right now will they sound even better afterwards?
Swap them out scottiebabie, post your results, looks like you are going to dig right into them, might as well get at those caps while doing all your refurbishing.
I'm still diggin' mine with the original crossover capacitors, if the Yamaha's start to sound thin, I'll take a look at the board.

Here's a huge thread on NS 1000 mods:
Refurbishing Yamaha NS 1000M's

the one obvious fly in the ointment for me is soundstage esp depth isnt up there with the best.

NS 1000's are easy to drive which leads to a false sense of confidence, you can easily drive a small amp to clipping which could damage the tweeter and mid range unit, so no running them wide open with a low power amplifier.
These speakers need muscle behind them, hence the 150W recommendation, well above the 100W speaker rating, no worries about clipping at volume when having drinks and getting your groove on.
By the same token if you get cocky with a big 300W amp, it may not clip but still exceed the thermal and mechanical limits in the speaker and will kill them quickly as clipping a small amp.

Like I said, I have personally run 160W into these at full volume playing rock music for a couple songs and they handled it beautifully, kind of like blowing the carbon out of an old Corvette...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back