Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #8,761 of 19,143
Lol, not at all. I'm really glad you're enjoying it. My 9090db has been fully restored and including all caps, many resistors, diodes, all trimming pots and relay. So it's really not a fair fight between it and my 1280. But  they are close enough that I think the 1280 would pass it if it received similar treatment. So the fact my stock 1280 can at least keep up with a completely refurbished 9090db is a true testament to how good it is. I would like to get it restored one day as well, but since my stock ka-907 also beats it, it's first in line for the restore treatment. 

But wow you've gone from 0-100 in a flash.  It was just a short while ago you were checking out my sansui at a meet, and now a you have 1280?  All I can say to that is.

beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #8,762 of 19,143
Regarding shipping, I have to ship a set of speakers every now and then to keep the collection from taking over the house. I usually wrap them in plastic wrap and build a 2'' thick fitted foam box around the speakers, immobilize the drivers and add 1/2'' of bubble wrap to the corners of the foam. Then I custom fit a double ply box and put a hard foam foundation on one end to act as the bottom and seal the box. The important part is to support and protect the corners. As a technique, I label them fragile and "this side up." Also, I find that just having insurance labels increases the odds of being treated well. I have never lost a speaker, despite the best effort of the shippers. I had a guy send a photo of a box he got from me, it looked like it survived a tornado, but there was no damage inside.
On really heavy speakers, I go a little more overboard. I do everything above, then I use a springy foam to make a suspension of sorts on the outside of the box and I double box it. The springy foam doesn't deflate like bubble wrap. I've only had to ship things over 100 lbs per speaker a few times, but man is it a pain. Takes me all day to pack them.

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #8,763 of 19,143
This will make you feel even better about your purchase (I'm assuming that the two models are similar):

http://www.iavscanada.com/Articles/art_receiver_shootout.htm

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #8,765 of 19,143
I hope those damn hipsters don't get into this stuff (or are they already?) they have no business in this kind of stuff. When ever I see a hipster in a record store I always think to myself "what a phoney..." 

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #8,767 of 19,143
Quote:
I hope those damn hipsters don't get into this stuff (or are they already?) they have no business in this kind of stuff. When ever I see a hipster in a record store I always think to myself "what a phoney..." 

I'm guessing that hipsters have more money than we do??

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #8,769 of 19,143
Quote:
Regarding shipping, I have to ship a set of speakers every now and then to keep the collection from taking over the house. I usually wrap them in plastic wrap and build a 2'' thick fitted foam box around the speakers, immobilize the drivers and add 1/2'' of bubble wrap to the corners of the foam. Then I custom fit a double ply box and put a hard foam foundation on one end to act as the bottom and seal the box. The important part is to support and protect the corners. As a technique, I label them fragile and "this side up." Also, I find that just having insurance labels increases the odds of being treated well. I have never lost a speaker, despite the best effort of the shippers. I had a guy send a photo of a box he got from me, it looked like it survived a tornado, but there was no damage inside.
On really heavy speakers, I go a little more overboard. I do everything above, then I use a springy foam to make a suspension of sorts on the outside of the box and I double box it. The springy foam doesn't deflate like bubble wrap. I've only had to ship things over 100 lbs per speaker a few times, but man is it a pain. Takes me all day to pack them.

A major time commitment to get things packed right, for sure!

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #8,770 of 19,143
What do you guys think of the Fisher TX-100 amp decent .Thanks                                                                                   

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #8,771 of 19,143
Quote:
What do you guys think of the Fisher TX-100 amp decent .Thanks                                                                                   

That looks in great condition. Nice 60's solid state :) Hows it sound? 

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #8,772 of 19,143

Was able to find a copy of the 1250 service manual online. The headphone output does indeed come off the loudspeaker outs through 150 ohm resistors.

I'd say just plug in and enjoy.
biggrin.gif

se

What about the 1050?

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #8,773 of 19,143
Quote:
That looks in great condition. Nice 60's solid state :) Hows it sound? 

Have no idea just saw this one today wondering i its was worth pursuing .

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #8,774 of 19,143
Quote:

What about the 1050?

They all do from this era. All are powered from the main transformer via resistors :)
Quote:
Have no idea just saw this one today wondering i its was worth pursuing .

Well it defo looks in great nick. They're hard to come by at my neck of the woods, and the are very collectable. Maybe some of the more experienced on here might give you a hint at sound quality as I'm pretty new to vintage.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #8,775 of 19,143
my new Marantz 2220,

Cleaned her up good n proper and she sounds lovely. The warmest sounding vintage I've heard yet. There is a slight hiss in one channel using the HD800's. No surprise there.. Not too annoying but I think I'll be using this with the AKG's. No need to touch any tone controls, the sound complements them really well. Never heard the K701's sound so full and warm! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back