Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #8,746 of 19,143
Congrats on the Pioneer. They make some pretty darn good stuff!! Do a little reading on TT's before you head out there so that you know what to look for. Hopefully it is in working order and you can get a chance audition it. Be prepared to buy a cartridge. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #8,747 of 19,143
I read the entire "post photos of your turntable" thread which is, at the same time, the worst photos thread and one of the best info threads on Head-Fi. Also, a couple other of the more popular vinyl threads.

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #8,748 of 19,143
Quote:
Golden rule with packaging: it has to be packed so to survive fall from any angle imaginable from at least half a metre height. If you think that your package will be babied because of "fragile" "this side up " etc stickers - think again.

Funny statistics with ebay sellers - the less expensive the item and less paid for shipping, the better the packaging. And unfortunately vice versa. There are dedicated sellers who pack things better than factory original box could ever hope. Sadly, they are vastly outnumbered by the other less desirable "species".

The way I have done it, and it has worked every time:

1.) Three layers of bubble wrap on the vintage item.
2.) Bubble wrapped item placed in a box in which it can't move.
3.) Box taped and layer of bubble wrap on the box.
4.) Bubble wrapped box placed in another box and surrounded by foam so it can't move.
5.) Tape the heck out of the outside box.

So far Fedex has not been able to destroy the contents.

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #8,749 of 19,143
I've had great results doing it myself, and have even gotten compliments from buyers left in my feedback on eBay. The key is to warp it in enough bubble wrap so that you can bounce it like a ball. And have it incased in about 2 inches of foam on all sides. And for the really heavy items, put that box in another box with about 2 to 3 inches of foam(not foam peanuts) on all sides.

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #8,750 of 19,143
I knew vintage receivers sounded better than budget and midfi desktop headphone amps, but my pioneer sx-737 (having spent some time comparing) sounds to my ears better than my hifi Violectric V200. I mean I paid $35 dollars for my pioneer at a thrift store compared to the $1299 for my V200.  Just doesn't make sense. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #8,751 of 19,143
^^ Please don't tell anyone. 
size]

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #8,753 of 19,143
Just a few initial impressions of the sx-1280, mostly as compared to the 9090. They are both fantastic. I could call either end game. They offer a sound signature that is slightly different. Both offer the ability to drive very inefficient orthodynamic hp's with ease (he-4 for me). 

After an hours time listening to the sx-1280, I'll say that the music feels wonderfully alive, rich and well driven. Leaves me wanting nothing. I don't find myself looking for more bass, better mids or sweeter treble. It all just feels "right" across the spectrum. 

Much more listening to do. Not sure that I'll be able to turn loose of either. May just have to buy another stand. 
size]

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #8,754 of 19,143
Nice! Glad you like it. I'm really liking my new (well, new to me) SX-750. Makes both of my full size headphones sound leagues better than they do with the little baby Fiio E17. I'm still using the E17 (along with the L7 line out dock) as my DAC though. The next step down the road will probably be a better full sized DAC.     
Quote:
Just a few initial impressions of the sx-1280, mostly as compared to the 9090. They are both fantastic. I could call either end game. They offer a sound signature that is slightly different. Both offer the ability to drive very inefficient orthodynamic hp's with ease (he-4 for me). 

After an hours time listening to the sx-1280, I'll say that the music feels wonderfully alive, rich and well driven. Leaves me wanting nothing. I don't find myself looking for more bass, better mids or sweeter treble. It all just feels "right" across the spectrum. 

Much more listening to do. Not sure that I'll be able to turn loose of either. May just have to buy another stand. 
size]

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #8,755 of 19,143
Hot dam the 1280 drives my he-4 well!! I was expecting the 1280 to be a touch thinner and not as warm as the 9090. I knew my instincts were right about the 1280. 
size]

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #8,756 of 19,143
What are you feeding the 1280 with, and where on the volume dial are you listening?
Quote:
Hot dam the 1280 drives my he-4 well!! I was expecting the 1280 to be a touch thinner and not as warm as the 9090. I knew my instincts were right about the 1280. 
size]

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #8,757 of 19,143
Pioneer elite sacd player. I'm a medium level listener at most and I've got the pot at 10:30 and good grief it's bumpin'. Just went through my jazz reference tracks and now spicin' it up with a little Daft Punk: RAM. Oh dat bass. 
size]

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #8,758 of 19,143
Try the Mad Dogs on it yet?
Quote:
Pioneer elite sacd player. I'm a medium level listener at most and I've got the pot at 10:30 and good grief it's bumpin'. Just went through my jazz reference tracks and now spicin' it up with a little Daft Punk: RAM. Oh dat bass. 
size]

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #8,759 of 19,143
Listening to MD now. Both the he-4 and MD sound slightly better IMO on the 1280...don't hate me Moody, you know that I still love the 9090. This 1280 is a keeper. The sound is just tremendous. I haven't even hooked up speakers to it yet. 
size]

Given my recent acquisitions, I'll let you guys in a little secret. Shhh...don't tell anyone. The TCG in MattTCG stand for Tremendous Collector of Gear!!! 
size]
  I crack myself up. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #8,760 of 19,143
My self modded T50rp sounds ridiculous on my 750. Bass impact is definitely fun on the right song. I'm listening to some Dead Soul Tribe right now and the bass drum has some major impact. Bass knob at +1 and treble at +2 is just about perfect for the way I want my T50rp to sound. My Q701 gets the bass knob at +2 and the treble right in the middle. The 750 makes both headphones sound quite a bit better than just the E17. I'm definitely glad that I found this for $40. Sounds like a steal.
Quote:
Listening to MD now. Both the he-4 and MD sound slightly better IMO on the 1280...don't hate me Moody, you know that I still love the 9090. This 1280 is a keeper. The sound is just tremendous. I haven't even hooked up speakers to it yet. 
size]

Given my recent acquisitions, I'll let you guys in a little secret. Shhh...don't tell anyone. The TCG in MattTCG stand for Tremendous Collector of Gear!!! 
size]
  I crack myself up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back