Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 23, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #5,326 of 19,143
MMm. I am a bit caught at the moment with what to get my father (for Music hall MMF 5.1 turntable + HD650)

Either (including shipping):
  1. Marantz 2245, in excellent condition :$350
  2. Yamaha CX830 natural sound preamp : $500
  3. Pioneer SX-780, good condition: $350 (needs voltage transformer)
  4. Pioneer SX-850, great condition: $500 (needs voltage transformer, which puts it on the borderline too much)
  5. Pioneer SX-980, ok condition, $750 (which is more then I would like to spend)

Arg, this is not easy....

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #5,327 of 19,143
If the 2245 does not need a voltage transformer, then I suggest that.

Jun 23, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #5,329 of 19,143
For the US, yes they are. You can get an SX-980 for $300 or less, easy, in meat mint (but unrestored) condition.

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #5,331 of 19,143
Any of you tried RCA Attenuators on the old stuff. Curious about those. I'm really happy with the crossfeed cables, this seems like another interesting idea.
 I don't know how much of a difference really it would make though it would simply be after the DAC and before the Aux on the Nikko receiver.
Probably unecessary as I don't think that Dac output is high gain, I'd have to check.

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #5,332 of 19,143
Quote:
Those prices seem really high.

it is, but the shipping is 70% of the cost in some cases. And to ship a SX-980 is ridiculously expensive. I have no choice unfortunately.

Quote:
If the 2245 does not need a voltage transformer, then I suggest that.

Ah crap... it does need one aswell....

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #5,333 of 19,143
For the purpose of cleaning up old receivers, is DeoxIT in a spray or needle applicator going to be better? It seems to me the needle applicator might have some advantage (no overspray == less waste), but might be harder to get into the working bits of various pots.

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #5,335 of 19,143
I spent a couple hours today doing a superficial cleaning of the Heathkit RA-1500.

(for backstory, read this post. tl;dr version: My dad had one of these. This particular one was abandoned, I was given permission to take it home, and it works really well when it works.)

I had to photograph the front panel because of those sticky-note labels: The original button labels had gone away a long time ago, so these were the only convenient notes I had on what switched what. Thankfully, the button switches work really well, something that wasn't true of my dad's old receiver.

Real wood case on three sides. Impressively sturdy, especially by modern standards. Shame about that divot on the left side, but being tossed in a dumpster and having other hardware dumped on top can do that sort of thing.

The metal cabinet is also pretty sturdy. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the cabinet, or even the baseplate alone, accounts for at least half the total mass. And this thing is heavy; I haven't put it on a scale, but I'm guessing it's easily over 25 lb. The upper black steel panel screws down at about ten points, to similar-looking metal side panels that screw down at a dozen more points apiece. The lower panel is solid 1/8" steel; the interior equipment is mounted to spacers somewhere around 3/8" tall, so thankfully that dent in the perf near the rear left foot doesn't affect anything besides appearances. If you look carefully, you can see how thick the metal is in that shot...

The diagonal row of holes in the baseplate are for accessing trimpots. There are a few more inside.

A couple service tags and some glue residue from a third. This had traveled between the eastern end of Michigan and Benton Harbor, at the western end of Michigan, a few times.

The glorious innards. I went no further than this; I didn't feel confident taking things apart for real without having service manuals handy. It is still going to need a good, detailed cleaning inside, but this was actually as far as I had to go to access everything I wanted to spray Deoxit into...

...because even though I couldn't figure out how to get the knobs off, it turns out the pots are really easy to reach, and even have conveniently-located holes just the right size for a spray tube. Well, actually, since they're dual-mono pots, one was easy to spray, the other was hard. It worked out okay, though.

Another service tag. For a product made in America, this was a pretty well-traveled device.

The tuner mechanism is impressively elaborate: A taut cord runs in a loop through a capstan on the tuner knob, around a large disk (with an indexing wheel that stops it at its extreme points), and over the top of all the board interfaces to the front panel, spanning the width of the cabinet. Between the tuner knob and capastan is a massive, massive flywheel, so even though the tuner knob is relatively small, it's very easy to turn and fiddle with when trying to lock on a station. It's a shame the tuner doesn't work that well, albeit better than my dad's did. The metal arm that held the AM antenna is the saddest casualty. Now it's just a kind of annoying dongle that gets in the way.

All the lightbulbs present work, which is nice; one socket's empty, so I pulled a companion bulb to bring to the hardware store as a sample to find replacements with.

I'd love to, at some point, replace the power cord and phono sockets. The former because it's pretty ragged and worn, the latter because they're just kind of janky, even if the ceramic insulations are all in good shape. If I could keep the very nice perfed circuit board they're mounted to, and replace them each for each with modern-day sockets, I'd be happy. All in due time, I guess; they're working a little better now thanks to the Deoxit, but I'd rather have a more permanent fix than occasional blasts of contact cleaner.

I couldn't clean much -- partly because of a shortage of time, partly because I realized I'd be in over my head without a map. At this point, the most critical problem is the volume knob; the left-right imbalance is ridiculous at low volumes. Some shots of contact cleaner have helped (and has totally fixed some of the channel loss and glitchiness in the volume and balance knobs), but it's clear now that the low-volume imbalance is inherent to the hardware. I have no idea if good-quality pots to replace it with are even available, though -- again, I'll have to get a copy of the assembly/service manual to see what goes in there.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #5,336 of 19,143
Wow! Nice effort :D

Jun 25, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #5,338 of 19,143
Heh. Not that clean, really. You're only seeing the relatively flattering shots. :wink:

it was in a smoker's household for some time since its last service trip to Heathkit. I took care to clean out the heat sink fins from both front and back, and it seemed to run a bit cooler as a result last night. I'm thankful that the unit doesn't smell of tobacco at all (seems to be mostly pipe residue, actually), and that I haven't got any sensitivities, but the tobacco residue is everywhere and at some point I want to go in and clean every board out individually. A lot of them are socketed, but some of them aren't (or are socketed but appear to have leads soldered to other points in the receiver as well) so, again, it's going to have to wait until I can get instructions and a good chunk of free time for the job.

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #5,339 of 19,143
Jun 27, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #5,340 of 19,143
Recently picked up an abused Harmon/Kardon 800+ quad receiver from CL for $20. Seller was a nice old gent who was a scrounger and knew very little other than it powered on and was missing fuse caps for 2/4 (right side) of the speaker lines.

After a few weeks of it sitting just inside the front door I finally got around to checking it out and couldn't get any power. Upon opening it up I found that someone had done some serious hacking. One of the transformers (I picked this up because of the twin power supply) has been clipped. The main power fuse holder was broken and electrical taped back together. The leads to the fuse holder were broken and twisted back on without solder. Oy vey!

The reason I grabbed this is because aside from all the extra quad circuitry there is a dedicated switch to keep it in 2 channel mode at 55w/ch with the twin power supply.

This weekend I went in and DeOxit'd all controls, downloaded the service manual, and replaced the busted PS fuse holder.

After rewiring the clipped transformer I slowly brought it up on a Variac while constantly checking the voltages on the transformer secondaries and comparing the two transformers. I kept a very close eye on the one that had the primary leads clipped. Got all the way up to full line voltage with no abnormalities.

Next I checked and adjusted the DC offset. Then I plugged an Ipod into the aux. and then plugged in a pair of beater headphones ..... AND got glorious sound!

Then I ran it using headphones only in ever increasing lengths of time with cool down periods. The next day when I was confident everything was stable I hooked it up to some speakers and ......NO sound!

Well, here's where it gets interesting. On Saturday I stumbled across an HK 100+ receiver on CL for $25 which I picked up thinking I could use it for spare parts if needed. After getting frustrated not being able to figure out why the 800+ would output sound on the headphones, but not speakers I set it aside and played with the 100+.

It was only while playing with the 100+ did I come to find out that even when switched into 2-channel "stereo" mode it still needed fuses in both the front and back speakers for the front speakers to work. I speculate that the fuses are in series before the 4 amp sections are summed into 2 channels.

Now the frustrating part is that the 800+ is missing 1 fuse cap and they used different fuse holders from the 100 to the 800 series amps. So now I am one lousy fuse screw on cap away from a full test! AND it's a metric size!

Until I can find the silly cap it looks like I will be putting the 100+ on the bench. It should be fun comparing the sound signature of the two receivers when I get them both up and running.

Any ideas where I can find the fuse cap?

So far the sound on both these units with headphones is pretty darn good. But they are HUGE and 35 lbs each!

-Dogwan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back