Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 27, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #15,242 of 19,143
I live in california and travel from Los Angeles to the Central Valley on the monthly basis.  So I should be able to find a good repair man.  I'm gonna read the link that Skylab sent and ask around on AK to try to fix this myselft. I don't have a problem tinkering around as long as I know what to look for and how to fix it.  But if all things fail, I'll take to a repair shop.

Thought I say this here.  Anyone in the california area that can help?  Much appreciated.

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #15,247 of 19,143

Kenwood ka-9100, not a pioneer. I do agree with everything else you said though lol

Yes, you're right, I was getting confused with Luckbad's Pioneer SA-9100 earlier in this thread.  The Kenwood KA-9100 (which I owned back in the day powering my Genesis Physics III speakers) is indeed dual power supply.  I believe the introduction of that model forced Pioneer to rebuild the SA-8500 into the dual power supply SA-8500II.

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #15,248 of 19,143
  I live in california and travel from Los Angeles to the Central Valley on the monthly basis.  So I should be able to find a good repair man.  I'm gonna read the link that Skylab sent and ask around on AK to try to fix this myselft. I don't have a problem tinkering around as long as I know what to look for and how to fix it.  But if all things fail, I'll take to a repair shop.

Thought I say this here.  Anyone in the california area that can help?  Much appreciated.

If it's not something obvious I wouldn't try to fix it yourself - especially if it needs soldering.  A few seconds too long with the soldering iron and the traces will start to lift off the board and you'll really have a dead amp.  A number of repair shops won't go near a device that shows evidence of amateur tampering.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #15,249 of 19,143
I thought the ka-9100 was a dual mono design, it should have 2 power supplies. I checked his post and he only had the sub hooked up to one channel. Why I wonder? And I also wonder if running A left and right and only one channel of B could be the culprit. I'm guessing you're also a tech jnorris lol

I'm not a tech, but I play one on TV...

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #15,250 of 19,143
What do Loudness switches do on vintage receivers?
When I switch it on the Fisher 500c, I get monster bass.

Is that like one of those fake super bass options like in cheaper portable amps or does that switch just give more power to receiver?

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #15,251 of 19,143
  What do Loudness switches do on vintage receivers?
When I switch it on the Fisher 500c, I get monster bass.

Is that like one of those fake super bass options like in cheaper portable amps or does that switch just give more power to receiver?

Here you go:

http://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=loudnesscontrol_ts&version=print

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #15,252 of 19,143

The loudness button was implemented to help compensate for the loss of low frequency sound when the amp is being used in a low volume setting.  Yes it is supposed to bring out more bass, the button is working as intended.  It should make the sound fuller as well as just bass-ier.

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #15,253 of 19,143

The loudness button was implemented to help compensate for the loss of low frequency sound when the amp is being used in a low volume setting.  Yes it is supposed to bring out more bass, the button is working as intended.  It should make the sound fuller as well as just bass-ier.

...and it should be turned off when the amplifier plays in normal and higher levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back