C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Apr 23, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,786 of 3,421
Hadn't considered the faux aluminum angle:) The cable would be a cheap fix. I'd like to hear someone try it.

We go down thi road any further and this will win up in the DIY section:wink:
Quote:
yes you are right my bad

you could try a 3.5mm  audio ground loop isolator/noise eliminator cable ( 2 small audio transformers inline for those that don't know ) Think their range is 20-20k and they have a 3db boost if I recall correctly. Mine does anyhow
In addition to stopping the giant free antenna/ground problem it would eliminate any dc offset ( and control the driver better ), as well as any digitalgenic RFI that intermodulates with audio frequency.
You might lose some of the high highs.

They are fairly cheap.
You'd at least know if the culprit was the cable at that point, or something else ( like fake aluminum )
wink_face.gif

Just throwing out another idea it may not be worth it for you.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #1,787 of 3,421
Quote:

Welcome to the 21`st Century BH. If you cannot design an amp that does not pick EMI from a phone you are in the wrong business, period. Phone/Music players are a fact of life and not dealing with that is just BAD business.

Both my E11 and cheapo Fireye1 function perfectly with my phone. That said any amp that does not perform is a no go.

Buying another music player (and I already have many)  to go with an amp is just completely bass ackwards and not an option.

The right solution here is to buy an amp that was designed properly in the first place and emphatically NOT to buy more hardware to solve an amp problem.  That would be pure madness and the money spent better used to buy a decent amp.

. E12, here I come.

You seemed to have missed H2O's post discussing what ClieOS has reported. (Good luck in finding a sensitive portable solution that doesn't have EMI issues.)

This is ClieOS observation about the E12. 

EMI and Hiss
EMI is quite noticeable on the E12. While far from blasting loud, it is annoying. Also, the amp not only picks up cellphone EMI, but has a tendency to pick up any nearby (within a feet or two) EMI source as well, such as 2.4GHz cordless phone. It probably not going to be great pairing if you are using cellphone as source.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #1,788 of 3,421
i do not understand what EMI? you mean when using phone connect to amp or just keeping phone close to amp? really difficult to understand.

also i suggest try different cables, the cable can be a culprit.

however i agree, if this does not work for OP then most easy solution sell and move on.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #1,789 of 3,421
Quote:
i do not understand what EMI? you mean when using phone connect to amp or just keeping phone close to amp? really difficult to understand.

also i suggest try different cables, the cable can be a culprit.

however i agree, if this does not work for OP then most easy solution sell and move on.

Cables won't affect EMI, it's the device that's picking up the interference. Basically, you'll hear Electro-Magnetic Inteference when your phone or any other electronic wave emitting device (cell phone, wireless home phone maybe, idk what else) is sending signals. I notice it happen when I'm on 3G and a call is coming in, going out, or I'm getting a text. We also don't even have to be talking about amps, my FM transmitter picks up EMI while I'm driving and I'm using my phone with it.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #1,790 of 3,421
Quote:
You seemed to have missed H2O's post discussing what ClieOS has reported. (Good luck in finding a sensitive portable solution that doesn't have EMI issues.)

This is ClieOS observation about the E12. 

EMI and Hiss
EMI is quite noticeable on the E12. While far from blasting loud, it is annoying. Also, the amp not only picks up cellphone EMI, but has a tendency to pick up any nearby (within a feet or two) EMI source as well, such as 2.4GHz cordless phone. It probably not going to be great pairing if you are using cellphone as source.

I do not need luck, I have the E11 and a Fireye, neither of which exhibits any tendency to pick up interference.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #1,791 of 3,421
Quote:

Cables won't affect EMI, it's the device that's picking up the interference. Basically, you'll hear Electro-Magnetic Inteference when your phone or any other electronic wave emitting device (cell phone, wireless home phone maybe, idk what else) is sending signals. I notice it happen when I'm on 3G and a call is coming in, going out, or I'm getting a text. We also don't even have to be talking about amps, my FM transmitter picks up EMI while I'm driving and I'm using my phone with it.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. It is the very reason why things like coax and twisted pair exist in the first place. There are a million different reasons for RF interference, and all of them come down to poor design and or production issues.

You actually do not find it telling that the interference occurs when the phone and amp are connected?

I really find this whole apologist attitude disturbing. I buy any audio component that suffers from interference, it's gone, pronto. I don't care who made it, what its supposed "rep" is or how popular it happens to be. It's simply PP design, period, and inexcusable in this day and age.

If anyone actually thinks that you cannot design a device that does not suffer from RF or EM interference you are sorely mistaken.

And that's as far as I go with this one. The amp's a no go.

I can test a demo of the E12 for myself.

There is really nothing in it for me to try to diagnose or fix C&C's (or anyone else's for that matter) design or QA issues.

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #1,792 of 3,421
Quote:
Quote:

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. It is the very reason why things like coax and twisted pair exist in the first place. There are a million different reasons for RF interference, and all of them come down to poor design and or production issues.

You actually do not find it telling that the interference occurs when the phone and amp are connected?

I really find this whole apologist attitude disturbing. I buy any audio component that suffers from interference, it's gone, pronto. I don't care who made it, what its supposed "rep" is or how popular it happens to be. It's simply PP design, period, and inexcusable in this day and age.

If anyone actually thinks that you cannot design a device that does not suffer from RF or EM interference you are sorely mistaken.

And that's as far as I go with this one. The amp's a no go.

I can test a demo of the E12 for myself.

There is really nothing in it for me to try to diagnose or fix C&C's (or anyone else's for that matter) design or QA issues.

Yes, EMI is obviously much stronger when phones are connected to amps because cables are typically pretty short, therefore forcing the EMI device to be closer to the amp, but given that my phone can set it off when it's not connected to my E12 while I'm listening to music on my computer, cables aren't the be all end all for EMI. Unless you mean that buying top end cables to use with my iPhone and BH will somehow result in less EMI?

Speaking of E12 EMI, it's not immune to EMI, either. Picks up far less than the BH, but it certainly does, especially while on 3G; not so much on wifi.

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,793 of 3,421
Although your E11 seems rather magical, and I am ever grateful you're not experiencing EMI with 'your E11' there are many other owners who are. I'm honestly not sure if you're aware how common EMI is in today's age, especially when it comes to using a cell phone as an audio device. I think it's all very well for you to say "in this day and age it shouldn't occur" but the reality is my friend, IT DOES.

Here's some examples I found in five minutes.

Any recommendations for dealing with interference (RF / EMI?). With my iPhone4, the interference is noticeable -- it's not a constantly there, but more like a soft spring-like buzz every now and then.

When I turned Aiprlane mode on for the iPhone4, the interference went away. Obviously this is isn't something I want to do all the time. I'm thinking some sort of RF/EMI shielding sheet to put in between my iPhone and E11? Probably inside the iPhone's or E11's case?

I noticed interference when using my iPod Touch with the E11 - so it isn't just the iPhone.  I was listening to Spotify, so putting the iPod into airplane mode wasn't an option.  I seemed to notice this only when I was using the supplied band to hold the amp and iPod together.  If I laid the amp and iPod side-by-side, there didn't seem to be any interference.  The noise I heard sounded like digital chirps and hash noise.  It would come in bursts and was quite noticable.

For my use case, it's not too big of a deal, but I'm interested to see if anybody comes up with a solution.

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a Fiio E11 amp and L9 cable to use with my iPhone 4s. When I listen to music I get a lot of interference (EMI?) from the phone. I can stop it by putting the phone in 'Airplane mode' but this means I can't receive calls or text messages. Is there anything I can do to stop the interference? Is this a problem with all Fiio amps?

Many thanks.

Guys,
I recently bought a Fiio E11 amp to improve the sound quality and boost the volume of my iPhone 4s and Phonak 112 iem's. The problem is that unless I switch the phone to airplane mode (thereby disabling the phone, text and wifi) there is too much interference (gsm, emi or whatever) to make listening pleasurable. I'm surprised Fiio haven't addressed this problem, seeing as it's advertised as being suitable for use with the iPhone.  I've emailed them asking for advice but they haven't bothered to reply. 
I thought maybe the Fiio lod might be to blame but the amp picks up the interference even with the phone just sitting near it unplugged. 
So my question is, if the Fiio is only suitable to use with a hobbled iPhone, does anyone make a portable amp that is completely screened and will let me recieve texts/calls and surf the web while I listen to music. Or is that too much to ask?

Cheers. 

Take this quote from ClieOS who owns more more than 20 amps.

You might think EMI is a big issue for E11, but the true is it is much more common than you think. Of the 20+ portable amps I have, most of them suffer from EMI issue simple because they are not designed to be used with a cellphone source. Do note that portable amp are usually an audiophiles' thing and a good number of us don't consider cellphone as our main source, even though it is gaining popularity. Also, designing a portable amp will full EMI shield will likely to compromise SQ and definitely increase cost .

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #1,794 of 3,421
Quote:

Yes, EMI is obviously much stronger when phones are connected to amps because cables are typically pretty short, therefore forcing the EMI device to be closer to the amp, but given that my phone can set it off when it's not connected to my E12 while I'm listening to music on my computer, cables aren't the be all end all for EMI. Unless you mean that buying top end cables to use with my iPhone and BH will somehow result in less EMI?

Speaking of E12 EMI, it's not immune to EMI, either. Picks up far less than the BH, but it certainly does, especially while on 3G; not so much on wifi.

Fully enclosed aluminum case, two ingress points (headphone and line in) both cabled connections Figure it out

Bye!

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #1,795 of 3,421
Just stepping in, got no EMI at all on my unit. And this is with a Note 2 50% of the time, also when the wife has used it with her s3 and x10 there has also been none.

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #1,796 of 3,421
Quote:
Just stepping in, got no EMI at all on my unit. And this is with a Note 2 50% of the time, also when the wife has used it with her s3 and x10 there has also been none.

Super duper special edition BH with EMI Titanium shield?

Anyone else have no EMI issues?  Consensus seems to be most people do get EMI noise.

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #1,797 of 3,421
Quote:
Super duper special edition BH with EMI Titanium shield?

Anyone else have no EMI issues?  Consensus seems to be most people do get EMI noise.

no noise whatsoever... am i dumb or do i need an audiologist? not at least with my C3 that i could hear anything except for music :-D

btw, i never ever thought about using a phone as DAP... weird when someone craves for sound quality and then uses phone to play music. may be i do not understand something about high end music playback?

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #1,799 of 3,421
that small kitty then i assume is C3 ???
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back