C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Apr 6, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #1,621 of 3,421
wouldn't that damage sensitive iems?

Yeah, BH lets off a decent pop when firing up the amp, especially with BA's like TF10, R-50, X10. I highly recommend turning the amp on before plugging your earphones in. It's not so bad with full size headphones but certainly rather loud with sensitive IEM, and you get that feeling you shouldn't be doing it. :xf_eek: It's fine when powering down.

I have gotten into the habit of unplugging the IEM after each session.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #1,622 of 3,421
right you are, i sometimes forget about this but the sound pop just reminds me that i have only one pair of ears 
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #1,623 of 3,421
right you are, i sometimes forget about this but the sound pop just reminds me that i have only one pair of ears :wink:

That's why it comes with two jacks, so when you wear one out you can simply switch to the other one. :tongue_smile:

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #1,625 of 3,421
Im pretty sure portable amps arent strong enough to damage them.

Some home audio amplifiers have that popping at turn on or off, too. For instance, my subwoofer amp does it and an NAD full range amp I previously owned did. Never heard that it damages speakers. I don't know why it would hurt IEMs.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #1,626 of 3,421
Quote:
Im pretty sure portable amps arent strong enough to damage them.

Actually, they are strong enough to damage some sensitive IEMs, such as the balanced armatures. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #1,628 of 3,421
Quote:
:O Im learning new things every day. I should keep that in mind. 

Like, they won't destroy it in one go, but it will happen gradually over times of constant popping whilst the IEMs are inserted before turning on the unit. A fellow Head-Fi'er told me that:)

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #1,629 of 3,421
Like, they won't destroy it in one go, but it will happen gradually over times of constant popping whilst the IEMs are inserted before turning on the unit. A fellow Head-Fi'er told me that:)

Yeah, well head-fiers say a lot of stuff, some of which turns into urban myth.

Maybe it is possible, but it doesn't seem that loud on my R-50s (110 db sensitivity) that it should damage the IEMs. Unless you hear it from an audio engineer who understands amplifier design and speaker/headphone design, I wouldn't treat as fact.

Not saying one couldn't be better safe than sorry because it is easier in many circumstances to turn off the source first. But don't start a new myth. :)

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #1,630 of 3,421
Quote:
Yeah, well head-fiers say a lot of stuff, some of which turns into urban myth.

Maybe it is possible, but it doesn't seem that loud on my R-50s (110 db sensitivity) that it should damage the IEMs. Unless you hear it from an audio engineer who understands amplifier design and speaker/headphone design, I wouldn't treat as fact.

Not saying one couldn't be better safe than sorry because it is easier in many circumstances to turn off the source first. But don't start a new myth.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, that's not a myth. Actually, there are a bunch of amps that come with such warnings and recommendations by the manufacturer. And actually  ClieOS was on board with that practice of turning your amp first and recommended it to people here, so it isn't some random urban legend made up recently like some of the other stuff that's been gathering blind followers lately like those 300 hours of burn-in for iems and other magical stuff that comes out of the backside of a unicorn.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #1,631 of 3,421
Quote:
Well, that's not a myth. Actually, there are a bunch of amps that come with such warnings and recommendations by the manufacturer. And actually  ClieOS was on board with that practice of turning your amp first and recommended it to people here, so it isn't some random urban legend made up recently like some of the other stuff that's been gathering blind followers lately like those 300 hours of burn-in for iems and other magical stuff that comes out of the backside of a unicorn.

You don't believe in that?
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #1,632 of 3,421
Bit of a painful wait for this thing. Left country of origin (Singapore) on Mar22. Canada Post shows that they have not received it yet. 12 business days and counting (although I'm not sure if I should factor in Easter). Hopefully I get surprised soon! Oh, and once I get it, I'm gonna let that puppy burn in for 300 hours at least!
smile.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,634 of 3,421
Quote:

Yeah, that's why many amps have relays in them to stop that popping. It seems like C&C BH doesn't have one.

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #1,635 of 3,421
Quote:
Yeah, that's why many amps have relays in them to stop that popping. It seems like C&C BH doesn't have one.

Ok, so that's one thing that the E12 has going for it, and I am used to turning it on and not worrying about my eardrums being assaulted. I'll have to be careful with the C&C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back