Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #4,501 of 5,364
Quote:

I have been considering the Klipsch X10i since it is $350 and many say that its performance is stellar while satisfying bassheads.

Just out of curiosity, do you know of any significant difference in SQ between the X10 and X10i?  My understanding is that the iDevice remote is the only difference.  If that's the case, I'm not sure that the iDevice remote is worth the additional $220 as the X10 is only $130 on Amazon right now.  Haven't heard either BTW, just wondering why the X10i specifically...

May 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #4,502 of 5,364
Quote:

I just asked him, and the answer is no unfortunately.  Sorry. 
frown.gif

Um... okay.  First, I want to point out that there are at least two different versions of the MDR-V150.  There was a version floating around in the 1980s, which I had and weren't that bad.  Sometime in the 1990's, they decided that it'd be funny to make them sound terrible.  Now, in answer to your question of whether the V150 are that bad, I direct you to this thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/534324/affordable-sony-studio-headphones

We really can't compare them.  The XBA series uses a balanced armature driver while the EX series used dynamic drivers.  They're different techmologies altogether.  Just to give you an idea of how different they are, the EX300's driver is listed as 13.5mm because that's the diameter of the driver diaphragm.  A balanced armature has no diameter because it's not even circular.

Also, for the record, driver size has very little to do with sound quality.  If they did, then a 40mm Skullcandy should sound four times better than the world's best 10mm IEM... and I think we both know that's just not true.

So that's why for the XBA series doesn't show any spec about how big the drivers are.  But eatherway does that mean that the EX300 will have more bass than the XBA 1? So basicly the XBA 2 will have bass like the EX300? If so I will need to get the XBA 2 so make it sound like the one I have now. Or will the XBA 2 have more lower bass than the EX300?

May 16, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #4,503 of 5,364
I just asked him, and the answer is no unfortunately.  Sorry.  :frowning2:

Um... okay.  First, I want to point out that there are at least two different versions of the MDR-V150.  There was a version floating around in the 1980s, which I had and weren't that bad.  Sometime in the 1990's, they decided that it'd be funny to make them sound terrible.  Now, in answer to your question of whether the V150 are that bad, I direct you to this thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/534324/affordable-sony-studio-headphones

We really can't compare them.  The XBA series uses a balanced armature driver while the EX series used dynamic drivers.  They're different techmologies altogether.  Just to give you an idea of how different they are, the EX300's driver is listed as 13.5mm because that's the diameter of the driver diaphragm.  A balanced armature has no diameter because it's not even circular.

Also, for the record, driver size has very little to do with sound quality.  If they did, then a 40mm Skullcandy should sound four times better than the world's best 10mm IEM... and I think we both know that's just not true.

So that's why for the XBA series doesn't show any spec about how big the drivers are.  But eatherway does that mean that the EX300 will have more bass than the XBA 1? So basicly the XBA 2 will have bass like the EX300? If so I will need to get the XBA 2 so make it sound like the one I have now. Or will the XBA 2 have more lower bass than the EX300?

Generally speaking, a single-dynamic will have greater bass than a single-BA. Because of this, I generally don't consider single-BAs at all when I'm looking for bass. As for the XBA-2 having bass like the EX300, I really wouldn't know, but I'm inclined to doubt that it would.

Actually, I just figured out one way we can relate. In addition to the decent V150s from the 80s, I also had the crappy V150s from the 90s that you've heard before. As you can tell from my profile, I have three single-BAs and one dual-BA. NONE of my BAs have anywhere near the bass of the crappy V150, not even close, not even in their wildest dreams with bass boost.

If strong bass is important to you, I would suggest staying away from BAs altogether... because single/dual BAs won't have it, and triple/quad BAs are way beyond the target budget.

May 16, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #4,505 of 5,364
Quote:
Why do you say no to the JVC HA-FX101?

Because that's the kind of earphone you get when you only want bass and nothing else.

Quote:
How do the VSonic GR99 compare to the RHA MA350?

I don't know, I've never heard the GR99.

Quote:
The RHA MA350 comes to a total of $62 (including shipping) to Australia.

Do you have an Encel, AudioTrends, or Apple store near you?  They carry it (http://www.rha-audio.com/au/authorised-retailers/).

May 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #4,506 of 5,364
I do like the function of the in line remote for the X10i. So I specifically chose the "i" model.
So any thoughts?

May 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #4,507 of 5,364
Quote:
Generally speaking, a single-dynamic will have greater bass than a single-BA. Because of this, I generally don't consider single-BAs at all when I'm looking for bass. As for the XBA-2 having bass like the EX300, I really wouldn't know, but I'm inclined to doubt that it would.

Actually, I just figured out one way we can relate. In addition to the decent V150s from the 80s, I also had the crappy V150s from the 90s that you've heard before. As you can tell from my profile, I have three single-BAs and one dual-BA. NONE of my BAs have anywhere near the bass of the crappy V150, not even close, not even in their wildest dreams with bass boost.

If strong bass is important to you, I would suggest staying away from BAs altogether... because single/dual BAs won't have it, and triple/quad BAs are way beyond the target budget.

Well what are the XBA series good for then? It sounds like you are saying that you hear no bass and it will sound like a small speaker system. I also wonder why are they expensive if they aren't that good. Are the mids and highs a lot better than the EX300 or something like that? Meaning just bass isn't played well on the XBA series? I thought they were good audiophile type earbuds since Sony says they are. I do like to have my music sound like life so I though that the XBA 1 or 2 would do so better than the EX300. But if the bass is too weak then it might sound tinny though I just don't know how the XBA 1 or 2 sound like and if they sound like a small bookshelf speaker like 4in woofers.

May 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #4,508 of 5,364
So I've narrowed it down to the UE 900 and Westone 4s..

Leaning towards the UE 900 with their more universally pleasing signature (I listen to a wide variety of genres, but mainly EDM), availability and price (I can get them new for $340).

Someone help me decide!

I'm coming from the Atrio MG7s which are currently being refurbished, which I was a big fan of (especially that deep, visceral bass & sub-bass).

May 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #4,509 of 5,364
Quote:
I do like the function of the in line remote for the X10i. So I specifically chose the "i" model.
So any thoughts?

I see.  Well, first of all, I think you're downgrading IMO... but I can understand curiosity and the urge to explore. 
smile.gif
  I'll probably be getting a UE900 next month, so I can tell you all about it then.  I can tell you that my dream universal is the Tralucent 1plus2... but I think that's out of both our budgets right now.  In the meantime, I'd suggest taking a look at http://cymbacavum.com/ as they're always on the lookout for good universals (and often find them).

May 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #4,510 of 5,364
After reading the above post, I would like to ask you guys what the general sound signature of the UE 900 is? For example, is it etymotic-neutral, or mid-centric, etc.
Research has revealed that the klipsch sound is indeed a bass-heavy, fun sound, which matches my needs. But I am not sure about the ue900. Some reading does reveal that it is more neutral than an EDM-centric sound.

May 16, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #4,511 of 5,364
I can say is that it seems like the Sony MDR-EX210B and the EX300 look and shape exactly the same but just the color is little different. But will the EX210 have better sound overall for around $80 or less compaired to the XBA 1 or 2? Also does the EX210B sound better than the EX300 if the EX210B will sound about the same as the XBA 1 or 2? I thought maybe that you have to really spend a ton of money to get really nice sound on the XBA type earbuds since you need more drivers. But I thought it maybe would be better off getting something like the EX210B or so but I just don't know which one will give life like sounds more the XBA 1, 2 or EX210B.

May 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #4,512 of 5,364
What are comfortable headphones for jogging and running? Sound quality does not really matter. I have FiiO e17 amp. I doubt I will use it as it adds extra size and weight to my Galaxy S1. So comfort and fit vice where should I start? IEM or portable?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

May 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #4,513 of 5,364
Quote:
Well what are the XBA series good for then? It sounds like you are saying that you hear no bass and it will sound like a small speaker system. I also wonder why are they expensive if they aren't that good. Are the mids and highs a lot better than the EX300 or something like that? Meaning just bass isn't played well on the XBA series? I thought they were good audiophile type earbuds since Sony says they are.

Higher end IEMs - like Sony's XBA series - are good for a flatter frequency response, and more balanced signature, and detail. 

Most consumer headphones and earphones are geared to simply having a strong bass signature.  This is because normal people don't know what good audio is, and really don't care about anything besides how much bass it has (and how loud it gets). 

However, audiophiles want a good balance of bass, mids, and highs so that they can have a more accurate (i.e. "better") reproduction of recorded music.  We don't want an over-emphasized bass obscuring all the details present in the rest of the spectrum.  We don't have anything against bass, we just want more than bass.

But because normal people are so used to an overly bassy signature, they often think that the audiophile signature "has no bass" - which isn't true - but that's often what they think anyway.

Quote:
I do like to have my music sound like life so I though that the XBA 1 or 2 would do so better than the EX300. But if the bass is too weak then it might sound tinny though I just don't know how the XBA 1 or 2 sound like and if they sound like a small bookshelf speaker like 4in woofers.

I do not think it will sound tinny, but I just want you to understand that it will most likely sound less bassy than what you are used to. 

May 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #4,514 of 5,364
Quote:
What are comfortable headphones for jogging and running? Sound quality does not really matter. I have FiiO e17 amp. I doubt I will use it as it adds extra size and weight to my Galaxy S1. So comfort and fit vice where should I start? IEM or portable?

Personally, I'd go IEM all the way for jogging. And probably ones that could be worn "over the ears" (and maybe with ear guides). The GR07BE (or other GR07 variations) are over the ears, fairly isoloating (but not so isolating that won't hear the car before it hits you), light, come with ear guides, and stay in the ears very well. I see that sound quality doesn't really matter to you, but with them you would have to live with excellent sound quality :). Here's joker's latest review.

May 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #4,515 of 5,364
Quotes:
So I've narrowed it down to the UE 900 and Westone 4s..

Leaning towards the UE 900 with their more universally pleasing signature (I listen to a wide variety of genres, but mainly EDM), availability and price (I can get them new for $340).

Someone help me decide!

Originally Posted by yjkimnada /img/forum/go_quote.gif

After reading the above post, I would like to ask you guys what the general sound signature of the UE 900 is?

I really wish I could tell you guys but I haven't auditioned the UE900 yet.  However, TwinQY could give you a much better picture of it, and he should be around shortly.

Quote:
Quote:

Personally, I'd go IEM all the way for jogging. And probably ones that could be worn "over the ears" (and maybe with ear guides). The GR07BE (or other GR07 variations) are over the ears, fairly isoloating (but not so isolating that won't hear the car before it hits you), light, come with ear guides, and stay in the ears very well. I see that sound quality doesn't really matter to you, but with them you would have to live with excellent sound quality :). Here's joker's latest review.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with waynes world in terms of all the features you'd want...but the model I was going to suggest is a lot more pricey, so you're probably better off with his rec. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back