Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 13, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #226 of 5,364

Quote:
Thanks,

The GR07 stroke me as a better deal but I saw complaints in Amazon for bad build quality and issues after some months. Do you know if it is a common problem or not?

The only build quality issue I've ever had or heard of is the strain relief coming unglued after a while, but 1) I heard they fixed it on the newer versions, and 2) it's easily fixable - just glue it back on. I've only seen one report of a GR07 dying on someone, and that's because they were pretty rough with them (i.e. never used a case, yanked the cord, etc).

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #228 of 5,364
Hi, I'm looking for a pair of IEMs in the 80$ and below range that have amicrophone for phone calls, are pretty balanced (but not too balanced) and are of a VERY good build quality, I'm really short on budget so I can't afford to buy another pair in a couple months time.
I've seen the the UE 500 and meelectronics sp51p and they seem to match my criteria, any opinions anthem or any other pair that may fit?

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #229 of 5,364

Microphone for what type of phone?
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for a pair of IEMs in the 80$ and below range that have amicrophone for phone calls, are pretty balanced (but not too balanced) and are of a VERY good build quality, I'm really short on budget so I can't afford to buy another pair in a couple months time.
I've seen the the UE 500 and meelectronics sp51p and they seem to match my criteria, any opinions anthem or any other pair that may fit?

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #231 of 5,364
NuForce NE-700M's would be a nice bet. They are in your price range and have a mic (NE-700X's are the same but without a mic) I have the NE-700X's and they are my favorite current pair of IEM's. 

Quote:
For iPhone, last time I tried to confine myself only to fully iPhone compatible earphones, but I will settle on a mic+single button that works with the iPhone.

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #232 of 5,364

Quote:
How are the highs on the ATH WS55 and WS70s?

Sorry, I don't know, but a bump for anyone else who knows. 

Quote:

Check out the MEElectronics CC51P and Brainwavz M4i as well. I have the UE500 without the mic, and like others have had issues with wires getting exposed at the plug so they might not be the best choice for durability.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #233 of 5,364
So I'm pretty new to the world of head/earphones, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the information on the forums here.  I guess this thread is the place to go with my question; if not, please redirect me.  I recently got a HTC Rezound with the ibeats headset that I find to be pretty good for classic hard rock, some old thrash metal, and old school whiny country music.  Trouble is, they get a bit boomy with some of the newer doom/stoner metal I like and can give me a headache after a handful of songs.  So I tried the UE 600vi headset in hopes that I could get the controls working with the Headset Button Controller app on Android.  No joy (the ibeats did however).  The UEs sounded pretty good straight from the device, but sounded really good with my buddies JDS Labs altoid can amp.  So, I've listed some characteristics below that are required - any advice is greatly appreciated.

1. ~$100 headset
2. Good sound for hard rock, stoner, doom, thrash, and old country with less bass than the ibeats.  I'm a guitar guy, so the ibeats bring out the bass and drums a little too much for my taste.  The vocals in my genres of choice are typically cookie monster in nature and can be sacrificed for the guitars to some extent.
3. Will plug directly into the phone
4. Phone and inline controls (volume, track, pause, phone) for the Android GB OS

Many thanks.

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #234 of 5,364

first of all, thank you for this thread.
I am looking for IEMs in the $150 to $200 range for late night in bed listening. Music styles mostly classical, ambient, space and jazz. My priorities are:

1. comfortable fit
2. fairly neutral letting the music sound as recorded
3. good isolation

I have nowhere to audition IEMs so I have been researching and am considering the following, but want impressions from those of you who have listened to them.

1. Phonak 112 (looks comfy, love that it is made by a hearing aid company)
2. Vsonic GR07 - great reviews, rotating nozzle
3. Shure 215 or 425 - small size, replaceable cables

Thanks In advance!

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #235 of 5,364
Anyone have an idea for some earbuds for a basshead less than 50 dollars, or a brand to check out?  I mainly listen to electronic music and dubstep.  A message is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #236 of 5,364

Quote:
Anyone have an idea for some earbuds for a basshead less than 50 dollars, or a brand to check out?  I mainly listen to electronic music and dubstep.  A message is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

V-Moda Vibe are on super sale right now. Haven't read any reviews but they precede the Vibrato's, which are suposed to be awesome.
Look around but those are marked down form $110 to $30. I'd try to find some reviews.

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #237 of 5,364

Quote:
So I'm pretty new to the world of head/earphones, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the information on the forums here.  I guess this thread is the place to go with my question; if not, please redirect me.  I recently got a HTC Rezound with the ibeats headset that I find to be pretty good for classic hard rock, some old thrash metal, and old school whiny country music.  Trouble is, they get a bit boomy with some of the newer doom/stoner metal I like and can give me a headache after a handful of songs.  So I tried the UE 600vi headset in hopes that I could get the controls working with the Headset Button Controller app on Android.  No joy (the ibeats did however).  The UEs sounded pretty good straight from the device, but sounded really good with my buddies JDS Labs altoid can amp.  So, I've listed some characteristics below that are required - any advice is greatly appreciated.

1. ~$100 headset
2. Good sound for hard rock, stoner, doom, thrash, and old country with less bass than the ibeats.  I'm a guitar guy, so the ibeats bring out the bass and drums a little too much for my taste.  The vocals in my genres of choice are typically cookie monster in nature and can be sacrificed for the guitars to some extent.
3. Will plug directly into the phone
4. Phone and inline controls (volume, track, pause, phone) for the Android GB OS

Many thanks.

TBH, I'm not really sure what kind of mic controls would work with your Android device. I'm not totally sure the distinction between iPhone and Android controls, so I don't know which headsets would work for you... Do you have an example of something that works? Also maybe look into a separate adapter, though I realize that's probably not the most convenient for talking on the phone.

Quote:
first of all, thank you for this thread.
I am looking for IEMs in the $150 to $200 range for late night in bed listening. Music styles mostly classical, ambient, space and jazz. My priorities are:
1. comfortable fit
2. fairly neutral letting the music sound as recorded
3. good isolation
I have nowhere to audition IEMs so I have been researching and am considering the following, but want impressions from those of you who have listened to them.
1. Phonak 112 (looks comfy, love that it is made by a hearing aid company)
2. Vsonic GR07 - great reviews, rotating nozzle
3. Shure 215 or 425 - small size, replaceable cables
Thanks In advance!

The GR07 is the only pair I have experience with, but I'd say they work pretty well for your needs. They're pretty neutral without sacrificing bass, are pretty comfortable if you adjust the fit right, and isolate fairly well (not the absolute best, but quite good). The biggest issue you might have would be sibilance, which calms down a bit after burning them in for a while, but is still present. It adds a wonderful impact to drums and such that makes them sound more realistic, but if you're sensitive to that they might not be the best choice. 

Quote:

If you have not already, check out ljokerl's IEM review thread for a complete selection. Some choices though would be the MEElectronic SP51/M31, Soundmagic E10, and DUNU Trident.

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #238 of 5,364

Quote:
V-Moda Vibe are on super sale right now. Haven't read any reviews but they precede the Vibrato's, which are suposed to be awesome.
Look around but those are marked down form $110 to $30. I'd try to find some reviews.

Eh, the Vibes have decent reviews, but they're MSRP was massively inflated. They've been going for ~$50 for years, too. I think they'd probably lose out to newer offerings though. I think they're also in ljokerl's thread.

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #239 of 5,364

Quote:
The only build quality issue I've ever had or heard of is the strain relief coming unglued after a while, but 1) I heard they fixed it on the newer versions, and 2) it's easily fixable - just glue it back on. I've only seen one report of a GR07 dying on someone, and that's because they were pretty rough with them (i.e. never used a case, yanked the cord, etc).

Thank you for the quick answer. Although I'm very inclined for the possibility of buying one, my dilema is the following:

I already heard the Westone 4 and was realy, realy, wanting to buy them latter, but it appeared a chance(after posting for the questions here on the forum) to buy them later this year. As so I don't know if it would be a good idea to go for the Vsonic if I wait a little bit more I get the Westone 4 or just wait and save for the Westone 4. My problem with the < US$ 200 budget was that a relative would bring it in a travel for me.

I just discover that I'll probably going in a work trip so I would have to be limited by this budget. So what do you think?

Is it worth to save and wait for the westone 4(which I have heard and I'll defenitly buy someday) or try the Vsonic Gr07 first, without listening it?

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #240 of 5,364
Is there a durable iem or earbud headset out there? I have not had one that did not break within 3 months use. It is always a wire issue. One of the earbuds loses power and you are left with one working and one just useless. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back