Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #214 of 5,364

Quote:
Hi All,

From considering Ety HF3, MTPC, SE535 I actually went on to try the UE Triple Fi 10 and (to give on ears a chance) B&W P5.  I also found the UE SuperFi 5 vi that I lost months ago in a bush!

First the SuperFi 5 vi... these, although they look almost the same as the UE 600 that I'm replacing, sound quite different to me (yes they still worked after having been outside for some time); they seem more detailed, have a wider soundstage and richer bass (though not overdone) - I actually really like them still, but the cable has some problems (if I move in the wrong way, I get cut-outs in sound).  It may be their trip outside, but while they're working they seem much better than the dying UE600

The Triple Fi - I liked these but had issues with durability (in the space of a week).  The first pair, the removable cable housing came out of the earphone body on one side, so I got a replacement, which worked fine for 5 days, then the right phone started cutting half its output (seems like the cable broke, because if I held it, it gave full sound again).  I think I'd finally found a good fit on the last day I had them, and the sound seemed to have been improving throughout the time I had them; I liked the detail and texture of the bass (worked particularly well with cellos), and treble was quite good (the detail there was what seemed to be improving over time).  I just didn't want to get another replacement set because I figured that I'd continue having problems with durability.

B&W P5 - Really really don't like these (they're going to have to go back from whence they came).  Bass seemed to lack detail and was eclipsing everything else.  The treble seemed to be both harsh and lacking in detail at the same time.

I'm now thinking maybe UM3X RC or one of the EarSonics (v2 of SM2 or 3).  Can anyone comment or suggest any other options based on my experience above?

Thanks again

Hi Caudovittatus,

You mentioned the 535s at the beginning of your post and then not again. Have you let them go or still thinking about them?

Unfortunately, I don't know the others you've mentioned, but have recently bought the limited version 535s and had some interesting experiences.

What are you looking for exactly in terms of sound style (e.g. bassy, analytical, musical/enjoyable, etc.) and type of use (e.g. active, background, focussed listening, etc.)?

Mar 8, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #215 of 5,364
I'm not looking for IEMs, but I keep seeing people walking around my school with earbuds that are cheap as H*LL!!! It bothers me. I ask them why they use such cheap headphones and the main reason is, I'm sick of dropping $20 on a pair of headphones every week just to have them break, I'm better off spending $2 a pair on these pieces of "spit."
Now I say if you buy a decent pair of headphones you won't have that problem.
I've spent $x of money and headphones and they still break...

What cheap pair of in ears can I recommend that are very durable?

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #216 of 5,364
What are they doing to these earbuds that a $20+ pair last as long as sub-$10 pairs? i suggest you let them know their are $15+ sets that come with cases that are easy to use and protect their investment. 
Quote:
I'm not looking for IEMs, but I keep seeing people walking around my school with earbuds that are cheap as H*LL!!! It bothers me. I ask them why they use such cheap headphones and the main reason is, I'm sick of dropping $20 on a pair of headphones every week just to have them break, I'm better off spending $2 a pair on these pieces of "spit."

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #217 of 5,364

Quote:
What are they doing to these earbuds that a $20+ pair last as long as sub-$10 pairs? i suggest you let them know their are $15+ sets that come with cases that are easy to use and protect their investment. 

I'm really inexperienced about IEMs. Especially sub-$50 range. But when I say they are killing their $20 pairs, I mean they are killing their Skullcandy Ink'd or their Apple Stock headphones. They treat their headphones nice its just stupid stuff that shouldn't break headphones. A 3 foot drop, a drop of the iPod tugs on the cord and it shorts out. What is a quality bud that is known for durability that's cheap. I recommend the V-moda remix because it is made out of Kevlar and Steel so you know it is strong. But that's $50, something cheap with similar durability.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #218 of 5,364

Quote:

Maybe something from MEElectronics or DUNU?

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #219 of 5,364

Quote:
Hi Caudovittatus,

You mentioned the 535s at the beginning of your post and then not again. Have you let them go or still thinking about them?

Unfortunately, I don't know the others you've mentioned, but have recently bought the limited version 535s and had some interesting experiences.

What are you looking for exactly in terms of sound style (e.g. bassy, analytical, musical/enjoyable, etc.) and type of use (e.g. active, background, focussed listening, etc.)?

Hi Loquah,

I chickened out of the 535s as they were much more expensive than the other alternatives and I couldn't find the SE ones in the UK; I gather they do have a different/better sound (I know it's subjective, but I'd prefer to get the one that is more likely to satisfy at that price).

In an ideal world, what I'd like would be something that gives a high level of detail at every level, but I'd like a bit more bass quantity than my MC5 (even if that may be a little less accurate) (the quantity that I got from the SuperFi 5vi was good - though one side of those has completely failed now, so both UE600 and 5vi are gone).  I'd also like a massive soundstage and great isolation (wish list!).

The ie8[0] has often caught my eye from the soundstage side, but I get the impression that it's very bass heavy (I don't want to be overwhelmed by the Bass), and not a particularly good isolator.  The need for pretty good isolation is high to protect me from the train and tube (2hrs each way per day) noises - from the trains themselves, people talking louder than they need to into mobiles and other peoples headphones that sound more like loudspeakers :)  On the other side, I often listen to my headphones at work - it's quite a noisy office and it's difficult to concentrate on the code with myriad conversations going on around you; likewise, while I want to block out the conversations I'm not part of, I don't want to interfere with colleagues work by leaking sound - or embarrass myself by leaking what I'm listening to for that matter :wink:

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #220 of 5,364
Hi everybody,

I was looking for a new IEM, up to US$ 200 that featured the following:

- Detailed, something compable to my HF5s
   - A bit more bass, not too much, just enough to fell it a bit more.
   - A more warm/natural sound, but still neutral if possible (sometimes the HF5 sound a bit cold)
   - Don't mind to be a dynamic headphone, either BA or dynamic is fine.
   - No problem with not so small impedance nor low insulation, I would be using it in my work along with my laptop+fiio e7
   - Comfortable, this is an important topic

I was thinking on the Hifiman RE262, but any sugestion is more than welcome.

thanks in advance.

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #221 of 5,364

Quote:
Hi Loquah,

I chickened out of the 535s as they were much more expensive than the other alternatives and I couldn't find the SE ones in the UK; I gather they do have a different/better sound (I know it's subjective, but I'd prefer to get the one that is more likely to satisfy at that price).

In an ideal world, what I'd like would be something that gives a high level of detail at every level, but I'd like a bit more bass quantity than my MC5 (even if that may be a little less accurate) (the quantity that I got from the SuperFi 5vi was good - though one side of those has completely failed now, so both UE600 and 5vi are gone).  I'd also like a massive soundstage and great isolation (wish list!).

The ie8[0] has often caught my eye from the soundstage side, but I get the impression that it's very bass heavy (I don't want to be overwhelmed by the Bass), and not a particularly good isolator.  The need for pretty good isolation is high to protect me from the train and tube (2hrs each way per day) noises - from the trains themselves, people talking louder than they need to into mobiles and other peoples headphones that sound more like loudspeakers :)  On the other side, I often listen to my headphones at work - it's quite a noisy office and it's difficult to concentrate on the code with myriad conversations going on around you; likewise, while I want to block out the conversations I'm not part of, I don't want to interfere with colleagues work by leaking sound - or embarrass myself by leaking what I'm listening to for that matter :wink:

Quote:
Hi everybody,

I was looking for a new IEM, up to US$ 200 that featured the following:

- Detailed, something compable to my HF5s
   - A bit more bass, not too much, just enough to fell it a bit more.
   - A more warm/natural sound, but still neutral if possible (sometimes the HF5 sound a bit cold)
   - Don't mind to be a dynamic headphone, either BA or dynamic is fine.
   - No problem with not so small impedance nor low insulation, I would be using it in my work along with my laptop+fiio e7
   - Comfortable, this is an important topic

I was thinking on the Hifiman RE262, but any sugestion is more than welcome.

thanks in advance.

I think for both of you I'd recommend the GR07 or e-Q5. Both have a reputation for being pretty neutral, while also having decent amounts of bass when it's needed. The GR07s are sub-$200, and I've seen some e-Q5s around $200 on the for-sale forum. 

@jhelsas: The RE262 have a reputation as being colored and mid-centric, which is not inherently a bad thing, but isn't really what you're looking for.

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #222 of 5,364
Okay, I need help because I have generally had real bad luck with IEM`s. There has been so many dissapointing that I have gotten over the years, and I really want something I can keep and be satisfied with. Looking for something with a lot of bass, mostly because I will use it only for hip hop or electronic. Now I don`t want something that just focuses on bass, but it needs to be there. 
Money isn`t really a concern, though I am not gonna spend like several hundred dollars on it because I usually end up breaking these within 6 months. Believe me, I make it happen all the time. That`s not to say that I want something for under 100$ on it either. Not gonna use a portable amp either since that is a hassle. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #223 of 5,364

Quote:
Okay, I need help because I have generally had real bad luck with IEM`s. There has been so many dissapointing that I have gotten over the years, and I really want something I can keep and be satisfied with. Looking for something with a lot of bass, mostly because I will use it only for hip hop or electronic. Now I don`t want something that just focuses on bass, but it needs to be there. 
Money isn`t really a concern, though I am not gonna spend like several hundred dollars on it because I usually end up breaking these within 6 months. Believe me, I make it happen all the time. That`s not to say that I want something for under 100$ on it either. Not gonna use a portable amp either since that is a hassle. 

Atrio MG7s, Monster Turbine Pros, etc.

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #224 of 5,364

Quote:

I'll recommend Brainwavs M2 and SoundMAGIC E10 both have fairly large quantity of bass while keeping other parts of the spectrum clean. They'd be good starters if you decide to choose something between the $35 - 60 mark. Good bang for buck contenders.

You can read more on them here.... 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/491435/review-brainwavz-m2-beyond-gamma

http://www.head-fi.org/t/581119/review-soundmagic-e10

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #225 of 5,364

Quote:

I think for both of you I'd recommend the GR07 or e-Q5. Both have a reputation for being pretty neutral, while also having decent amounts of bass when it's needed. The GR07s are sub-$200, and I've seen some e-Q5s around $200 on the for-sale forum. 

@jhelsas: The RE262 have a reputation as being colored and mid-centric, which is not inherently a bad thing, but isn't really what you're looking for.

Thanks,

The GR07 stroke me as a better deal but I saw complaints in Amazon for bad build quality and issues after some months. Do you know if it is a common problem or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back