Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #2,072 of 5,364
Quote:
I currently own iems MH1C and MT Pearl, and headphones Sennheiser HD-25-II and 439s.

I am planning to add a new member to my iem family. It's either R-50 or RE-262. Any thoughts?

The R-50 will be the odd one out in terms of sound signature between your current inventory. It's a lighter, clearer sound sig. Biggest disconnect would be the sudden loss of bass quantity. It's a very good IEMs though, so if you like experimenting and want to try something new, these would be the ticket. RE-262 - imagine the MH1C but completely balanced throughout the spectrum. Pretty much an upgrade in every sense of the word apart from bass quantity. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #2,073 of 5,364
Quote:

Amplification is not needed at all with IEMs. People do like them with some extra juice, but obviously it's really a hit-or-miss sort of thing. Genres, anything in terms of comfort, isolation? ~400, you could research the UE900, though I haven't heard them. PFE232 have sort of a similar signature to the HE-400s, just lacking the darkness in the upper-mids to lower treble.

Genre: Electronic, Alt. rock, indie, indie rock
Isolation: Decent, doesn't need to be amazing but it at least needs to be there

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #2,074 of 5,364
Quote:

The R-50 will be the odd one out in terms of sound signature between your current inventory. It's a lighter, clearer sound sig. Biggest disconnect would be the sudden loss of bass quantity. It's a very good IEMs though, so if you like experimenting and want to try something new, these would be the ticket. RE-262 - imagine the MH1C but completely balanced throughout the spectrum. Pretty much an upgrade in every sense of the word apart from bass quantity. 

In terms of presentation, the soundstage, who trumps between the two?

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #2,075 of 5,364
Quote:
Genre: Electronic, Alt. rock, indie, indie rock
Isolation: Decent, doesn't need to be amazing but it at least needs to be there

W3 or the PFE232. Will be more V-shaped, but closest I can think of in terms of treble sparkle, relatively transparent mids, and bass quality (nothing can reproduce that linear bass in IEMs, so might have to make  up for it with quantity). There was some special on the limited edition W3 or something, check that out (though it might have expired). From the brief moment with the 4.Ai, sort of similar but the bass is completely different. Again, look at the UE900, can't give any listening experience with them, but the appreciation thread might tell you a bit more.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #2,076 of 5,364
Quote:
In terms of presentation, the soundstage, who trumps between the two?

More cohesive, intimate on the HiFiMAN, but the R-50 has better/more clear-cut separation. Different presentations. Personally, would pick the R-50 because I like that sort of presentation better, but neither is "better" than the other really.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #2,077 of 5,364
Quote:

More cohesive, intimate on the HiFiMAN, but the R-50 has better/more clear-cut separation. Different presentations. Personally, would pick the R-50 because I like that sort of presentation better, but neither is "better" than the other really.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I will be placing an order for a R-50 tomorrow.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #2,078 of 5,364
Been working on my main rig and have hit a nice set-up in the Beyerdynamic T1's balanced with CLAS and RSA SR-71B and for desktop Violectric V181.

I would like to refine a small portable rig.  I have HiFiMan Re-Zeros and am looking for an upgrade.   I'll probably look at a smaller amp and a Clip+ as source.  

Music is varied but I like Baroque Chamber music and string quartets up to Max Richter.  Jazz ala Patricia Barber, Diana Krall and rock and electronica too..  NIN is a favourite while working.
I like good instrument separation, a balanced sound, no thumping bass type of iems, a nice soundstage and not too forward sounding. Clarity.

I figure I would be topping out at about $250 for now.  Any recommendations?  
I have been reading for hours over the last few days and with the chaos of new vs used prices I'm confused.
I thought the Shure se425 was the one to look for but then saw a few odd reviews...  Westone, Phonak, Etymotic????

Thanks

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #2,079 of 5,364
Quote:
I checked, there is 28$ mail-service fee (not shipping, just a fee) and then like 25% on top of that and then 5$ on top of that for some absurd reason. Unless the website is wrong it's going to end up costing 70$

Wow, you're not lucky, I think you should see other models than GR02 or from other brand, you can get some from EU sites, headsound.de or frogbeats.com.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #2,081 of 5,364
Quote:
Wow, you're not lucky, I think you should see other models than GR02 or from other brand, you can get some from EU sites, headsound.de or frogbeats.com.

Oh, look, they have the M2 on headsound. Mentioned to grandur that they were pretty comparable. Can't calculate the costs from here, but if it stays around the same, the performance is pretty even between the two - get the cheaper one 
wink.gif
. You also get better housings (although the cable and strain relief is still better on the GR02)

Quote:
Been working on my main rig and have hit a nice set-up in the Beyerdynamic T1's balanced with CLAS and RSA SR-71B and for desktop Violectric V181.

I would like to refine a small portable rig.  I have HiFiMan Re-Zeros and am looking for an upgrade.   I'll probably look at a smaller amp and a Clip+ as source.  

Music is varied but I like Baroque Chamber music and string quartets up to Max Richter.  Jazz ala Patricia Barber, Diana Krall and rock and electronica too..  NIN is a favourite while working.
I like good instrument separation, a balanced sound, no thumping bass type of iems, a nice soundstage and not too forward sounding. Clarity.

I figure I would be topping out at about $250 for now.  Any recommendations?  
I have been reading for hours over the last few days and with the chaos of new vs used prices I'm confused.
I thought the Shure se425 was the one to look for but then saw a few odd reviews...  Westone, Phonak, Etymotic????

Thanks

Separation, clarity - Etys no doubt. For everything else, the W2, GR07 (actually, probably more of the GR01 described in there) and the PFE112. But of course since you mentioned the brands, I assume you're already aware of them. IMO the Shures do quite well with what you're looking for and have the better build. If that's important, I'd say go for them. The others mentioned are a bit soft, and while you did mention the preference for a less forward sound, the Shures have slightly more bite for rock and electronic. No bass bloat here though. Probably no need for an amp, the Clip will drive them to a point where further improvements are pretty negligible.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #2,082 of 5,364
Quote:
Please suggest a good pair of in-ear earphones...my budget is $15 to $20....I was thinking about the 
JVC HA-FX40 , JVC HA-FXC50, BRAINWAVZ Beta or SoundMAGIC PL30

Musical genres, sound preferences, comfort, isolation?

Repost from before:

New Rule:

When asking for headphone recommendations, please also list the type of music you listen to. This greatly affects what advice you'll get.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #2,085 of 5,364
Quote:
I want earphones wit a good base..I mainly listen to house,progressive,hip hop and pop.Comfort and isolation is  also important.. 

FXD40 are the bassy among the choices above. Also the most impressive quality wise. Deep, punchy, great tonality with techno. Mids might be a bit thin for some pop, but will vary with taste. Comfort is good, relatively shallow insertion though, but isolation remains decently average.

Also the new flavor of the month TDK MT300 (I've had them in my ears for days now) with some of the most impressive bass I've yet to hear on anything $30 or below (price is not a metric for performance, yes, yes). The MH1C in this case will likely suit you as well. Great rumbly bass with authority, globs of warm smooth mids for pop. 

Going slightly above budget, but the GR02 will do fine for bass as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back