Buying an Amp vs Another pair of headphones
Aug 31, 2011 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LFG530

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I recently bought a pair of HD650 along with a Matrix Cube and the headphones were a huge improvement over what I had previously owned/listened to (wesc bag pipes, bose in-ears, bose qc 15, Beats Pro/Studio (in other words cheap stuff that's expensive)) for every type of music and every single sound.

However I found the audible difference made by the Matrix Cube was not close at all than the difference from two headphones (vs. coming from Imac>pa2v2>HD650). It made a nice difference but a subtle one.

From my current setup I really really like the way Jazz/Classical/Folk sounds, and Hip-Hop sounds pretty good too, but I'm not really satisfied about my HD650 with rock and punk music or anything that has many layers of guitar in it... I had the chance to try Grados RS2 ans SR325is since then and even if I found them a bit "piercing" (the highs are strong) I loved the sound with classic rock/ punk and low-fi stuff... 

Where I'm going with that is: will I see a significative difference (not necessarily for rock music but for all types)  if I choose to go with an external amp (looking at either Woo Audio 3 or M-stage...)  or am I better off buying a different pair of headphones to listen to different types of music?

(in case it's important: my musical preferences are something like 25% Hip-Hop, 25% Jazz, 15% Indie/folk, 20% Rock/Punk/Prog, 15% Classic)

Thanks. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 7
In my experience headphones won't change a lot by adding a different amp if you don't like the sound signature it has.
You will get more satisfactory results by buying another headphone that is more suited to those other genres.

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 7
My .02 cents... get different headphones.
From my limited experience, I haven't noticed that big of a change with the same headphones on different amps...

On the other hand, I've read on different places that the HD650s "grow" with better (and I guess expensive) gear...

Still I would prefer a different sound signature by acquiring a different set of cans.

I had similar questions just a few weeks ago... :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/564610/is-it-my-ears-p-amp-differences

Good Luck!!

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks a lot that previous thread helped, but you're still using a dac/amp combo that costs around 400$ and is rated for 600ohms headphones I'm wondering if that might have played a role in the comparaison with the Woo... And you touched something important, I love my senns and I also keep reading they need "serious amping" and they scale up well with high-end stuff... S

So I'd like to know if someone compared an integrated/portable amp (rated for 300ohms) with something like the Woo 3 with the hd650 and was blown away by the difference or will it still be a really subtle change even with these headphones...

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 7
I know the guys and gals at headroom first say upgrade your source and then your headphones / speakers.  They also mention that a high end DAC will almost make a poor source sound as good as a high end transport.  This has been my experience as well.

I was asking myself the same question: "Do I want a new amp or a new headphone?"  I ultimately settled on headphones and do not regret the choice.  If you go new headphones be sure to get something with a different sound signature than what you already own.  For me this was going from my nice AH-D2000's to a pair of DT990's.  They really compliment the D2000's from my m903.

For example:
The Doors - [Essential Rarities CD1 #07] I Will Never Be Untrue
Is just not the same with a closed can.

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 7
I think you will enjoy the light bass boost as well as a more up front sound.

Try this track out of both:
Preston Reed - [Metal #01] Blasting Cap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back