Bush Fires in Victoria Australia
Feb 9, 2009 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

NeObliviscaris

Niiice!
Previously known as FeedMeTrance
I don't really start random threads here, but I feel this needs to done.

For all of those keeping track of Australian news, we are facing the worst Bush Fire disaster in the history of our country.

Already over 130 people's lives have been claimed by what is suspected to be a cowardly arsonist. Coupled with recent hot weather and strong winds, the Bush Fire has spread across many towns wiping out all in it's path.

I know this is not much, but I would really like to create some awareness for those who have not read about this tragedy.

I have some earphones for sale, from which 50% of what I sell them for will go to the Red Cross as a donation.

This has really hit the whole of Victoria and Australia with great sadness, and many companies in Australia are pledging donations to help out.

To any Head-Fiers in Victoria that are affected by the fire, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

I will do my best to provide updates here, but in the mean time here are some links to read more:

Wiki page: 2009 Victorian bushfires - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Red Cross: Australian Red Cross
The Age Newspaper: The Age - Business, World & Breaking News | Melbourne, Australia
Map of Bush Fires: http://mapvisage.appspot.com/fires/FireMap.html

Prayers and Thoughts to all those affected by the 2009 Victorian Bushfires

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I posted about this over at the other thread. 130+ dead, and the images on the news were disturbing.

Whoever lit the fires deliberately will get an asswhopping, thats for sure.

Assuming they get caught. I hope they're at least dying with guilt at the moment.

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming they get caught. I hope they're at least dying with guilt at the moment.

i want to see whoever is responsible for this be brought to justice. it's inhumane and irresponsible!

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 37
It's real for me and others living in So. California....We haven't had the staggering loss of life but hundreds of millions in property damage.

The last three years have been catastrophic, and half of the fires are attributable to arsonists. My prayers go out to you and your countryman!

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #7 of 37
nsx:

one of the suspected arsonists is a CFA volunteer himself (CFA is volunteer firefighters for those who may not know).

he lit the fires, then reported them to 000. seems its a case of 'i want to be a hero' as he argued for his brigade to be assigned to it

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #8 of 37
I heard about it as well. Very disturbing news and also to think someone might have started this.
If anything though, the person who did this is already being punished as we speak. The burden of guilt must be hard and I would imagine even harder than going to jail.

Feb 9, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 37
People that do these things are not governed by conscience. It's a lack thereof that makes these inhumane acts possible.

If he (or she) is losing sleep, it's in the revelry of the act and/or moment

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 37
^ Be careful with saying that. It are expressions like that that causes a lot of chaos. I am seriously not saying he shouldn't be punished but people often go blind from anger.
Just the other day I heard a story about the former Portuguese dictator that got banned from his country rather than shot or put to jail. The activists believed that it would hurt a lot more.
Wise men, we could learn a thing or two from them.

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 37
There are a few videos online at places like ABC News (Australia) and CNN which include some harrowing interviews, such as the man who, with his family, escaped his house when it exploded, all of them covered in wet sheets to avoid being burned themselves, sheltered in another house they were invited into, which exploded, then this happened 2 more times until they got to a place that wasn't burned down, his wife and kids being severely traumatised by the experience.

When bush fires get seriously out of control, they can easily outrun people and vehicles. Many of the people who died may have looked out the window to see the fire a few miles away, and a few minutes later find themselves trapped in a firestorm, which then literally blows up their house.

Feb 9, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 37
Really sad!
My thought goes to those who have been affected.
smile.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #13 of 37
Yeah, that's really sick. Hope they can eventually recover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back