Burson Discrete Opamp v2 in Auzentech X-Fi Prelude
Feb 10, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #31 of 39
Thought I would follow up after all this time and say I am still using the Burson every day in my Auzentech. Never got around to buying the AudioGd... I just enjoy this one so much.

In fact, I restore vintage audio equipment and now use these in situations where applicable - such as replacing opamps in tuners (Kenwood KT-8300 most recently).

I go with Burr Brown OPA2134 in things like EQ's (Sansui SE-7 comes to mind)

Take care,
Rob

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #32 of 39
Do you use only stereo output with your Prelude. or 5.1? Is there a big difference in decibels with the rear channels, if I put a discrete opamp in front?

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by xoaphexox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never got around to buying the AudioGd... I just enjoy this one so much.

don't waste your time, burson v2 kills them all.

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't waste your time, burson v2 kills them all.

Hi leeperry. Here i am!
Today, i finished the upgrade of the Essence STX of a friend with three Burson V2 and a gd-audio clock. The card is installed in my PC this moment and it runs very well. I did some measurements with the Virtins M.I. Pro 3.1 and the results was very good. I have improvements in SNR and NL by 5dB approx. although the protective cover of card has removed! The THD+N is almost same like the original (who cares about! the harmonics produced are of the "good" odd order). I have not checked yet the performance at 24b/192Ks, which shows the improvement offered from the new clock, because i must to do a different setup in the measurement software to get trustable results and this is time-consuming. Tomorrow i will post some pictures of the modified Essence STX as well the resulted measurements. Better results obtained when the card is cold.

Fotios

Feb 10, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by fotios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi leeperry. Here i am!
Today, i finished the upgrade of the Essence STX of a friend with three Burson V2 and a gd-audio clock. The card is installed in my PC this moment and it runs very well. I did some measurements with the Virtins M.I. Pro 3.1 and the results was very good. I have improvements in SNR and NL by 5dB approx. although the protective cover of card has removed! The THD+N is almost same like the original (who cares about! the harmonics produced are of the "good" odd order). I have not checked yet the performance at 24b/192Ks, which shows the improvement offered from the new clock, because i must to do a different setup in the measurement software to get trustable results and this is time-consuming. Tomorrow i will post some pictures of the modified Essence STX as well the resulted measurements. Better results obtained when the card is cold.

Fotios

hi Fotios, good to have you here...finally!
biggrin.gif

so did you take out the sockets and solder the burson's directly?

many ppl have modded the Prodigy HD2 w/ Burson's, and from what I was told the RMAA results were giving very poor crosstalk results(in the 50dB region??)

and there's a french guy who was skeptical to death about the Burson, so he put his hands on one dual discrete v2 op-amp and ran all kind of tests on it...he said that when one channel was loaded, the other one was interacting and killing the crosstalk, he also spoke about utterly disappointing THD/THD+N specs...he called the burson's a plain rip off..

OTOH, that frenchie just wanted to bash the damn unit at all costs..he didn't even listen to it
rolleyes.gif

I've personally given up on the STX because the fixed sample rate in the drivers was really getting on my nerves...I can't be hassled to constantly switch, besides the C-Media drivers are just resampling everything on a permanent basis and were very unstable for me on XP SP3.

this guy made killer bit-perfect/automatically bit-matched drivers for C-Media DSP's...too bad they're not compatible w/ the STX, because they really work like a treat in KS: cmediadrivers

I'm sure the STX on Linux w/ some proper drivers would be a hell lot better...anyhow, how did the clock improvement go? because back in the days I A/B'ed the STX/ST several times, and the STX had a very messy/blurry stereo image in comparison...OTOH the ST was prolly too agressive to my taste
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by xoaphexox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burson claims to "burn" them in before mailing them out. Why would they need to be "burned in" again?

What physically happens during "burn in" and why is it just hi-fi audio components that seem to be discussed in this context?

Does my LCD TV need to "burn in" before the picture looks it's best? Does my microwave oven have to "burn in" before it cooks my food with the most efficiency?

Help me understand or point me towards a thread that details the quantitative analysis of the physical changes resulting from "burn in" other than the listenter's short term memory filling up with only the sound of the new component.

I am not trying to be a jackass, I seriously want to learn about this. It is talked about sooo much but nobody has really referenced any type of literature or study other than personal experience.

Regards,
Rob

You are being a jackass. And this definitely isn't the place to start a burn-in argument.

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi Fotios, good to have you here...finally!
biggrin.gif

so did you take out the sockets and solder the burson's directly?

many ppl have modded the Prodigy HD2 w/ Burson's, and from what I was told the RMAA results were giving very poor crosstalk results(in the 50dB region??)

and there's a french guy who was skeptical to death about the Burson, so he put his hands on one dual discrete v2 op-amp and ran all kind of tests on it...he said that when one channel was loaded, the other one was interacting and killing the crosstalk, he also spoke about utterly disappointing THD/THD+N specs...he called the burson's a plain rip off! Scott Wurcer(designer of the AD797) also told me that you could DIY a burson for a few bucks, hah
biggrin.gif

OTOH, that frenchie wanted to bash the damn unit at all costs..he didn't even listen to it
rolleyes.gif

I've personally given up on the STX because the fixed sample rate in the drivers was really getting on my nerves...I can't be hassled to constantly switch, besides the C-Media drivers are just resampling everything on a permanent basis and were very unstable for me on XP SP3.

this guy made killer bit-perfect/automatically bit-matched drivers for C-Media DSP's...too bad they're not compatible w/ the STX, because they really work like a treat in KS: cmediadrivers

I'm sure the STX on Linux w/ some proper drivers would be a hell lot better...anyhow, how did the clock improvement go? because back in the days I A/B'ed the STX/ST several times, and the STX had a very messy/blurry stereo image in comparison...OTOH the ST was prolly too agressive to my taste
biggrin.gif

He,he... You know Scott Wurcer... He is nice guy. I know him from diyAudio forum in which we had two or three interesting discussions. From a technical view, it is strange (IMHO) the use of high Vce trannies like 2SA970 - 2SC2240 in Burson discrete modules. I would prefer BC550C - BC560C instead. I use 2SA970 - 2SC2240 in my power amplifiers, but they run under +/-60Vdc or +/-70Vdc supply rails. Another one point, it is: too many trannies in so little space. I remember that, when i placed the two trannies of LTP back to back and tied between them (to get equal tail currents due to thermal compound) in the same time i had increase of noise. This caused from the electromagnetic field arises around each transistor. Practically speaking, it is better the trannies to have a distance of 1mm between them, at least. In Burson discrete, this is not in effect. Maybe this can give an answer for the medium quality cross talk. I have observed the same like you. I will show this in a measurement.

Fotios

Users who are viewing this thread

Back