Burn-in first time
Oct 9, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #31 of 65
mmmm is white noise = hiss cause im getting alot of that from my ipod lol it sometimes comes through in the music too cause thats how bad the source is? and you just left it there for a week? wow lol. love to hear more from others too.

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #32 of 65
Pink noise is basically white noise with a fall towards the high frequencies, which has a similar frequency level balance as natural occurring sounds. Whereas white noise contains equal power within a fixed bandwidth. Some would say music is basically well arranged noise. 
regular_smile .gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #33 of 65
Wikipedia has a good article about color noise (which includes white, pink, brown, grey, and others), and includes spectral diagrams to give you a sense of what the differences are.

For speakers, headphones and IEMs that have multiple drivers, white or pink noise would be more useful. It will provide a noise that covers the audible spectrum with equal energy, to ensure the woofers, midrange and tweeters all get equal amounts of signal. For most headphones and earphones, any noise or music will do because there is a single driver handling all frequencies for each channel.

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #37 of 65
what more do you want really? You've been given a lot of opinions and all of this talk about it is just talk. Try it for yourself and see what happens if anything happens.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #39 of 65
What you should be doing with new headphones is opening the box, putting them on, and listening to your favorite music. If the music sounds good, don't bother with burn-in. You're done. Enjoy your music.

If it doesn't sound good, try playing sounds through them around the clock; you've got a few different suggestions above on how to do that. If you don't notice any improvement after a couple dozen hours of it, ask some HJE900 owners how long they think that model should be burned in for.

That's all there is. Anything more than that is overthinking small problems.

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #40 of 65
Does it matter if you say play for like 6 hours then stop for like a day then continue for another 6. will this affect the "burn-in" or can it be sporadic? also when you say sounds, do you mean actual music or pink noise/white noise? i would like to know how other people burn their cans in with a step by step guide.

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #41 of 65
Come on, this is at three pages, there must be some useful information so far. Burn-in is unscientific: play any music at a normal listening level, walk away...

What do you think is going to happen...you're going to do something wrong? Doing it with pink noise instead of white noise will somehow sound better and how are you going to determine that? Do you listen to test tones and noise patterns on your daily commute?

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #42 of 65
no....
frown.gif
haha sorry im being overly careful. this is my first pair of really nice IEMs and i want to get the best out of them.... i've just been burning with film score OST music right now so basically classical. tomorrow i think i may try a little pink noise interspersed....

but does it matter if i burn in for several hours and stop for extended periods of time, then burn in again?will this affect the process or will it just continue on as if there was no break?

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #43 of 65
it shouldn't make any difference really. try 8 hour chunks overnight, for a week that's plenty (over 50 hours). sorry i blurted that stuff out too 
frown.gif

cool.gif
 a lot of people seem to think it's important in this thread, but once I receive them that's enough for me

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #45 of 65
I understand you want to be extra careful because they are you first pair of nice IEMs, I was like that when I had my first car. Basically, there's no right or wrong way in doing it, just make sure you don't play really loud music or signals through them for a long period of time, you know, so loud that you can hear distortions in the music, as you could damage them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back