Burn-in first time
Oct 6, 2010 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

yearsofwisdom

100+ Head-Fier
My hje900s are due to arrive tomorrow. Dunno if burn-in actually works or not but no harm,no foul right? How do i burn in?is there a guide or can someone give me a step by step process?

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 65
Put them on your ears, turn on some classical music, adjust the volume to your normal listening level. Listen to them till your ready not to( mentally burn in as well) and leave the music on lop all night.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 65
to burn them in, you'll need to heat the oven to 350 before throwing 900s in there. Once in there leave them their until they burn in crisp.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 65

Quote:
to burn them in, you'll need to heat the oven to 350 before throwing 900s in there. Once in there leave them their until they burn in crisp.

Spot on and you'll know it's set once you smell a slight metallic smell and the shell turns slightly dark. Once that's set it on the table let it cool down for about 30 minutes before use.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 65

There's a bunch of threads on this topic out there.  
Quote:

The hje900's could prolly take it. 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Put them on your ears, turn on some classical music, adjust the volume to your normal listening level. Listen to them till your ready not to( mentally burn in as well) and leave the music on loop all night.

^^ this is a serious answer IMO.  

Quote:
please some serious answers....

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 65
Maybe it's just down to the fact that after 15 years of drumming my ears are battered but I honestly struggle to tell the difference in sound before and after burning in. From the responses you've had I'd agree with Anadin the most.

Quote:
Just listen to them and forget the rest.

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 65

Quote:
Just listen to them and forget the rest.

Doesn't hurt but I do agree that you should use your headphones when they are new. I know I have to warm up to headphones when I first get them so I believe in some type of maturing if it's your ears or the drivers I don't know I just do all of it.

Oct 9, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 65
Been sorta burning in... not intentionally listening to alot of classical.... these hiss alot from my ipod 5.5 video so its the source but is this hiss bad the cans? and should i just leave the cans on a classical station on pandora to burn in? and im using normal listening volume.

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 65
please some serious answers....

The rule of thumb is a hundred hours and two hundred hours is better.  What's happening is things are loosening up and losing their stiffness so they're more responsive.  Gives better extension into the bass and treble and the highs are not as harsh, less clipping to the ears.  Nothing more than warming the muscles up before you grab on to the bar.  The above applies irrespective if the IEM's are twenty dollar specials or uber expensive customs as all IEM's need some break-in time.

The problem with listening to IEM's during the break-in or burn-in period is, as the changes take place (and they do,) the changes are subtle so as the changes take place, you're not aware of the changes like a frog isn't aware of the changing temperature if you start the frog out in a cold water pot.  If you want to be aware of the changes, you need to listen to them new and make notes.  Then put fifty hours through them, listen again, making notes on the same piece and compare your jotted down notes.  Let them burn-in for another fifty hours and put them on once more.  Compare notes for a second time; new, fifty hours and at a hundred hours.  A word to the wise, the less expensive IEM's are going show improvement but sadly no amount of burn-in will convert them into expensive sounding IEM's.

Some folks don't make note of harshness when new and others do.  I know I do.  Well, that's none of mine as that's theirs.  A lot of dissatisfaction is because the user made a snap decision, based on an unbroken in piece of gear.  The point, a lot of the break-in process is a personal and subjective evaluation process.  Kinda like listening to a Tom Waits album; which I'm doing right now.

As to the burn-in process and the what music question.  Anything is good as all you're doing in real terms, is giving the IEM's a workout.  To me, the hard part, is not putting them on and using them while breaking them in.

"Wha-da-ya-mean?  But I bought em to listen to!"

FWIW, I'm currently going through the break-in process with a new set of IEM's.  I'm not making notes or anything like that as I've broken in enough stuff to know that it's all good.  All that matters is what comes out of the transducers after the first hundred hours as I could care less what they sound like during the first hundred hours.  To be honest, I can't live with the next hundred hours as I'm not patient enough to go through a second hundred hours of burn-in.

Hope the above gives you some insight to your OP questions.

L3000.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 65
what tracks should i use? i just heard about pink noise. and is hiss bad for the 900s? my source, ipod, has a lot of hiss. and should i just look like 3 minutes of pink noise at normal listening levels to 1 minute of silence? or what is the best way?

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #14 of 65
...what is the best way?

In this case, anything and everything is good.  No magic formula as you're just putting sound through them to loosen them up so they'll be more responsive.

As to hiss, that could be "sibilance" in the IEM's or a noisy recording or amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back