Bulging Cap Replacement Suggestions
Aug 9, 2009 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

_Spanky_

500+ Head-Fier
Got a RCA RT2500 that shows no life. Opened it up, noticed about 2 caps directly in the power line that were bulging pretty decently. Since they're in the power line (power filter maybe) they'll affect everything downstream (to my knowledge anyway) so I was wondering about suggestions to replace them with?

Currently the caps read:
Quote:

YEC
6800uF 16v
SM 85C

I know there can be a huge price range in them and as I recall there's probably 4 or 6 of them in there and it would probably be wise to replace them all at the same time to prevent future failures. Just tossing a number out there but $5 per cap would be acceptable, $10 would push it imo. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Aug 9, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 12
Check around at Digikey and Mouser - they ought to have several varieties in your price range.

If 16V caps are bulging, I'd recommend going for the same values in 25V or higher, provided they fit.

Aug 9, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 12
Before you get too carried away shopping for replacements, figure out what size you need - diameter, maximum height, and lead spacing. No point wasting money on parts that won't fit, after all...

I gave Google a quick check, but it looks like the SM series of caps is long discontinued, and there weren't any datasheets to be had. You could try contacting YEC directly, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an answer...

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 12
I wouldn't necessarily want to try them again but I do realize there are flukes. Got 2 of 'em pulled out so it shouldn't be hard to measure them. I was kinda looking for some specific answers, I know there's different types of caps and then the different brands and then different ratings. Are there brands to stay away from? Not that I don't trust Erik, although I do like a 2nd opinion (especially if they say the same thing), can anyone else recommend using 25v caps? I don't want to say $10 per cap would be a limit when maybe there's $12 ones that are beautiful. I'm really open to all suggestions at this point. Thanks for the replys guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #7 of 12
The YEC SM series 6800uF 16v cap measure 16 X 31.5mm and has a 7.5mm lead spacing.

The smallest 6800uF 25v caps I could find in stock at Digi-key that have 7.5mm lead spacing are 18 X 35.5mm.
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The YEC SM series 6800uF 16v cap measure 16 X 31.5mm and has a 7.5mm lead spacing.

The smallest 6800uF 25v caps I could find in stock at Digi-key that have 7.5mm lead spacing are 18 X 35.5mm.
wink.gif

You must be bored or something to care this much
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't see the size difference being that big of a deal, i think they could be 60 or 70mm tall without a problem, I'm not entirely sure about the width but a couple extra mm doesn't seem to be a issue. Thanks for looking for me man, do you have a link to those?

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Fit is relative. There are some electrolytics that are way smaller than others. I replaced some 6" tall caps with little 2" tall things and it looks really silly like that.

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhm... he just did the homework for you, the least you can say is "thanks".
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Spanky- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for looking for me man, do you have a link to those?

smily_headphones1.gif
I always do my best to remember to thank those that help me. That's why I come here, you guys are so knowledgeable and nice, I should really be paying you guys
darthsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fit is relative. There are some electrolytics that are way smaller than others. I replaced some 6" tall caps with little 2" tall things and it looks really silly like that.

To be honest, looks don't really matter much to me, as long as they fit and work properly and don't blow or bulge.

Thanks for all the knowledge everyone. I'm definitely going to be making a more informed buying decision
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back